'Huge mistake to play France friendly', says Scotland's Go

DA Baracus

I don't know what anyone else can do better with the current crop of players?

Again, going back to Vogts, he knew it and looked for exciting young talent. The result of this was the semi decent sides that Smith and McLeish benefited from. We need to forget about the seniors and throw all the money into youth. If we can unearth one world class talent it would act as a springboard.

Instead we will have eleven mediocre players who play safe, boring and physical shitfest football.

Another foreign coach in charge of the SFA would be an idea, absolutely no chance of that happening though. Our entire setup needs to change and be given a decade at least.

Some new ideas in there, surprised I've not seen them discussed on here before

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Republic of Ireland and Poland both got out of our group, which may be the best chance we get to qualify for anything in decades. The Republic of Ireland and Poland are not better squads than Scotland. Strachan's squad underperformed.

The idea that nobody could do better with those players is self serving and false.

I don't know what anyone else can do better with the current crop of players?

Again, going back to Vogts, he knew it and looked for exciting young talent. The result of this was the semi decent sides that Smith and McLeish benefited from. We need to forget about the seniors and throw all the money into youth. If we can unearth one world class talent it would act as a springboard.

Instead we will have eleven mediocre players who play safe, boring and physical shitfest football.

Another foreign coach in charge of the SFA would be an idea, absolutely no chance of that happening though. Our entire setup needs to change and be given a decade at least.

We have been hearing this for a few decades already  but I am in the camp which thinks our players are just not good enough, currently, and that's the main problem. 

Completely off the wall, and I'm fully expecting to get roasted for it, but what about Peter Houston for Scotland?

He's good at bringing through young players, and isn't afraid to play them in big games, he's got a fantastic spirit in that Falkirk team and got them playing some cracking football.

It might not be a 'big name' appointment, but I think he'd be decent. He's certainly far more appealing Than Strachan and some of the other names banded about on here.

I think the fact that we didn't qualify has been made out to be a bigger failure than it actually was.  People say a poor Ireland team finished above us but that same poor Ireland team took 4 points off Germany.  We were never going to finish ahead of Germany, we matched a very good Poland team (who I think will do well at the Finals) and we bettered Ireland.  What put us out was one poor result coupled with some freak results elsewhere.  I don't think you can say that a group were no team bettered us except the current reigning World Champions was a "miserable failure".  We failed but not miserably.

Gordon Strachan's personal PR on the other hand has been very poorly handled.  His comments on Scottish football have been repeatedly ill judged and ill advised.  This squad selections have been baffling (Gordon Greer?) and the recent friendlies were not just a waste of time but actually a huge dent to confidence and interest in the national team.

I understand why people don't like Strachan, especially recently, but I think the results he has got out a very limited squad in competitive matches has been generally about as much as you could expect and he deserves another chance.  If we start poorly then by all means get rid of him and a lot of the squad.

Well, Marshy, Gareth McAuley, a 37 year old yo-yo centre half managed seven fucking goals in their campaign, and is from largely the same domestic habitat. From memory, for us in qualfiers, Miller got five or six in the 2008 campaign, and Gallacher the last with seven qualifying ironically for France 98. When you scan the players available to Wales, NI or the south, there is little or no discrepancy again in the habitat, for which Strachan is largely culpable in failing to at least better the south.

The players body language and application changed massively in the fallout of gaining the point in Dublin and during the defeat at home to Germany, which again is 100% down to him. Some of the greatest players in the world had their international careers severely shortened over fallouts with the manager, which had nothing to do with results, and instead of being their fucking pal, Strachan ought not to be such a shitebag when weilding the axe for those who simply fail to cut it.

Archived