Jo Cox MP

What makes you think we need an extremist like Corbyn to make positive changes? We've never needed people like him before.

He's not extremist.

And the greatest labour government in history was miles to the left of corbyn.

Most traditional labour supporters were very disappointed in the Blair/brown years. You, and many others, believe it was overall a success and something we should aspire to again.

But Blair won many Tories over and that's the difference.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winning elections is meaningless when you don't actually make meaningful changes.

I think there's a lot of historical revisionism when it comes to New Labour. People forget the period of 1997-2002 when there were fundamental changes for the good.

Their biggest mistake was not adopting an alternative to neo-liberal economic orthodoxy - but then I am hard pushed to find a mainstream political party that is not in thrall of neo-liberal economic orthodoxy.

He's not extremist.

Most traditional labour supporters were very disappointed in the Blair/brown years. You, and many others, believe it was overall a success and something we should aspire to again.

There's no way Blair was 'miles to the left of Corbyn'.

I simply can't see us winning an election with Corbyn as leader, no matter how morally pure it makes the Islington latte sippers feel.

Broadly means social democrat. New New Labour if you will. Though its probably recently been expanded to mean basically everyone who isn't part of the Corbyn/McDonnel far left grouping.

I would have figured that all Labour members (and Tories, and SNP and Liberal Democrats) would consider themselves social democrats. You only seem able to define "moderates" as what they're not (rather than what they are), and what they're not is Corbynite.

What I'm not seeing is what uniquely Labour financial, economic and social and policies make one a "moderate"? Presumably you can point out what it is that these "moderates" espouse in terms of policies and ideology that's discernibly different from what Corbyn espouses.

He's not extremist.

Surely most of them are away again, so they need to get back to basics, so to speak.

Broadly means social democrat. New New Labour if you will. Though its probably recently been expanded to mean basically everyone who isn't part of the Corbyn/McDonnel far left grouping.

You mean Tory lite.

Farage on the controversy surrounding the UKIP poster - "Had [Jo Cox's murder] not happened I don't think we'd have had this kind of row"

He was asked about Gove saying the poster made him shudder.

They've got posters as well he said.

Stop making corbyn seem like the extreme. For the majority of labour supporters he's just taking the party back where they belong.

Corbyn is a boring non event who won't win or achieve anything with Labour.

Maybe getting a bit past it now but Dennis Skinner would have been a better choice for leader.

A guy in his 80s?

Does Labour have anyone capable who's not a pensioner?

To be fair, if Labour had someone as charismatic as Beanie Sanders who's well into his 70s, they wouldn't be in the shithole they're in.

Corbyn is the extreme. Sadly a large part of the membership have got caught up in it, they seem to care more about ideology than they do about actually winning elections. Corbynism is completely at odds with the electorate at large. This long, drawn out tantrum isn't doing anyone any good.

Do you really think politics should be based on analysing what you think people want and then basing your manifesto on that? In other words, get into power no matter what it takes? What would be the point, apart from personal benefit? You shouldn't say one thing to get votes then act differently when in power. I thought the whole point was to nail your beliefs to the mast and try to persuade people that your way was better.

Unfortunately, I actually think that what you have written is the way of modern politics. 

I quite fancy Ruth Davidson (as a bet) at 40/1. Any Tory who can win votes in Scotland must be worthy of some kind of consideration.

If remain wins I could see Ruthie taking over from Cameron near the end of the term

If leave wins then Boris will be in number 10 by the Autumn

Archived