EU Ref: Result Predictions

Where will this leave Boris? Once hyped as the stick on favourite to replace Cameron. It's all gone wrong.

Cameron always seems to be the one taking the handshakes at the airfield after a night of long knives. Gideon for next PM?

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Remain win I think the knives will be out for him - not openly but in a much more in the back way.

Cameron & Co's knives are already out for Boris. The personal attacks by Rudd and Davidson must have been the result of instructions from Downing Street. Pro-Leave MPs were livid. Even if Remains wins by a decent margin, there should be enough rebels to force a vote of confidence on Cameron's leadership. The Tory civil war has already begun.

Even so, exit polls (even huge ones) should not cost that much. As a client, I have used most of the top polling firms so I know what they charge. 

"The Game is Not Yet Over

Boris Schlossberg, Director at BK Asset Management has an important announcement:

"With polls showing a clearly divided populace the situation remains fluid and markets could turn on a dime if news begins to leak out that Leave vote is close.

"As of now GBP/USD has become a highly asymmetrical bet with most of the upside already factored into the trade. Therefore if Remain does win the cable rally is likely to peter out at the 1.5000 level. However if Leave begins to pull ahead the pair could slide as much as 1000 points in a matter of minutes."

The Pound is Nearly 'Fully Priced'

This could be the big rally - long before the results are out! What a shame for those hedge funds that paid £500K a pop for something they didn't really need. The pound may be hitting the limit of its recovery potential as fair value is found.

“With implied betting probabilities of an exit having dipped below 15% we have seen GBP USD take out the 1.49 level for the first time this year. If we see a move back towards 1.50/51 we may start to see investors seeing some value in fresh shorts as the rally looks increasingly fully valued,†says Jeremy Stretch at CIBC Markets."

Interesting!

The type of polling we are talking about is on the hour every hour so is extremely expensive.

The type of polling we are talking about is on the hour every hour so is extremely expensive.

Yes but a lot of voters will visit the polling stations after work. The terrible weather in the South East will mean that even more will vote this evening. I would not risk substantial amounts of money on early exit polling.

Have you actually seen the polling numbers or are you only taking Scotland into consideration? I assume the confidence on this is based on a belief that don't knows will break mainly to remain, but that remains to be seen. Think this one is much more difficult to predict than the independence referendum was where the narrow No win was reasonably obvious by the end.

It's largely to do with the undecideds breaking to the status quo - they always do, they always will. It's also to do with how confident the bookies are. I simply won't believe they're getting it so wrong when so much is at stake for them. They'll have been polling the shit out of this.

It's largely to do with the undecideds breaking to the status quo - they always do, they always will. It's also to do with how confident the bookies are. I simply won't believe they're getting it so wrong when so much is at stake for them. They'll have been polling the shit out of this.

I believe there is research out there than in most referenda where there is a no turning back decision the undecided break 2 to 1 for the status quo.  That means that even on a 50-50 poll it is still more likely that Remain wins.

One other thing regards polls - hardly any include Northern Ireland and this may be underestimating Remain's vote by around 1% - another reason Remain were still leading in the betting even at 50-50.

I think overall will be 54-46 remain. Obviously I'd sell my soul to Satan for England to leave by 51-49 but be kept in by a huge Scottish 'remain'. The #scenes that would cause would far exceed the comedy of May 2015.

Low turnout in Inverness a couple of hours ago, 200 out of 800 which the guy said was very low for that time of day. Hoping Scotland hasn't got vote fatigue as that would help Leave. On the plus side I've got a bet on a low turnout. :)  If there's a low turnout across the UK I think it might help Remain as most of them will know where to vote and how to make an X sign in the right place.

The bookies will mainly be going by the volumes of cash getting lumped on either side to minimise potential losses. They'll be looking to make a guaranteed profit whatever happens.

Archived