EU Ref: Result Predictions

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of bookies have stopped taking bets

It is ilegal to publish exit polls in the media but if you've got a private poll, and lot's of financial institutions will, you can trade on it.

Yup, Martin Lewis was encouraging people on twitter to watch the variation of the pound exchange rates today

Some of the bookies have remain out at 1/10 now, I think it's game over for Farage.

A lot of bookies have stopped taking bets

It is ilegal to publish exit polls in the media but if you've got a private poll, and lot's of financial institutions will, you can trade on it.

Apparently hedge funds have commissioned exit polls at £500,000 a pop. We should be able to track it by Sterling and UK stock fluctuations.

No chance is Leave winning this now. With Don't Knows generally favouring the status quo, I think we'd have needed to be around 5% ahead at least consistently in the polls.

Apparently hedge funds have commissioned exit polls at £500,000 a pop. We should be able to track it by Sterling and UK stock fluctuations.

Got a link for that information? £500k is way OTT for opinion polls. Even a 20k sample, to minimise the margin error, with several questions would be less than £100k. That was the size of the BBC GE exit poll that got the result result right. It also predicted the Lib Dem massacre to Paddy Pantsdown's chagrin.

No chance is Leave winning this now. With Don't Knows generally favouring the status quo, I think we'd have needed to be around 5% ahead at least consistently in the polls.

This has all the makings of a landslide. Which in my biased opinion (there is no other kind of opinion) is as it should be be.

Got a link for that information? £500k is way OTT for opinion polls. Even a 20k sample, to minimise the margin error, with several questions would be less than £100k. That was the size of the BBC GE exit poll that got the result result right. It also predicted the Lib Dem massacre to Paddy Pantsdown's chagrin.

There's more in the FT but I can't access it without subscribing:

Hedgies Jump the Queue

There will be some private exit polls released as polls close at 10PM tonight. The only problem is they were conducted by hedge funds.

So look for heavy directional bets on the market to indicate which way they see the results as having gone.

A plummet in the pound tells us Brexit has won.

In fact, be careful, big-money traders may know what is going on before the results are made known. The following quotes were taken from a pollster by the Financial Times:

"Hedge funds have asked for exit polls and for hourly polls on the day.

"Banks are certainly commissioning polls for their own consumption that are never released."

"We are also being asked if we will do polls on the day. People in the City are wanting a head start."

The cost of a basic exit poll starts at around £500,000.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/5082-pound-to-euro-exchange-rate-3434

Remain to get close to 60% is my revised prediction.

Surprised by some of the people on my Facebook who are voting leave. Seem to be the people who I would have guessed will be most negatively effected by a leave vote.

It's not way OTT - £500k is pretty normal for a single trade on what used to be the LIFFE (now ICE Futures Europe).  Multiple trades would more than cover that cost.

At current rates, 157.122002 Japanese Yen.

You're welcome.

Pretty scary that the currency of world leading developed nation is worth less than a penny

Do they have an equivalent of pence in Japan that are worth even less than Yens?

Archived