Gordon Strachan

Elixir

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vogts inherited a shambles of a squad so had to cast the net far and wide and considering he was our first foreign manager he actually managed to put together a semi-decent squad that his successors seriously benefited from, he was far better in the role than Strachan.

Couldn't give a single solitary f**k about win percentages. 2 campaigns where we had a decent shot at qualification, one of which was the easiest I can think of and he fucked it. 

Didn't we have Norway as the only higher seeded team than us once? Not even that long ago

Unfortunately I think Strachan will be remembered more for his continued reliance on over the hill players than Scotland's valiant but ultimately futile effort to recover and make the world cup playoffs.  Why guys like Steven Fletcher, Gordon Greer, Steven Whittaker etc... have been in Scotland contention in this WC qualifying campaign is beyond me

Who gives a f**k if it's "mutual consent", he "quit" or was "punted", he and that useless moron McGhee are gone, that's all that matters.
Now it's up to the SFA to be bold, fearless and spend the money to get someone who actually know how to play international football in the 21st century! (Never gonna happen, it'll be McCoist)

I give a f**k if we quite because I was on STV on Monday saying he would. Purely an ego-trip for me.

I think the era under Strachan will go down as one of missed opportunities. We had an excellent chance to get through both recent campaigns and he managed to bottle both of them.

Not to mention his ridiculous statements about players "giving up their free time" to be with the team and the genetics carry on from Sunday.

1 minute ago, List_of_Jericho said:

Not to mention his ridiculous statements about players "giving up their free time" to be with the team

and the genetics carry on from Sunday.

... calls to "engineer" Rangers/Hearts/Hibs back into Premiership ASAP.

27 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Cause it'll happen. People still think 7 managers into doing this that a change of manager is all we need.

He's the first since Craig Brown to oversee two full failed campaigns. It was time for him to go.

I hope the new manager is tall!

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Is this going to mean November = 0 friendlies?

Canada's got nothing scheduled for November.  Nothing like paying full international ticket prices to watch Fraser Aird, Marcus Haber, Charlie Trafford et al. 

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Lowest finish under Vogts - 3rd
Lowest finish under Burley - 3rd
Lowest finish under Levein - 3rd
Lowest finish under Strachan - 4th.

Under Vogts, Burley and Levein we were gubbins against rivals for second place as well as dropping points to minnows. Strachan's record against our qualification rivals was actually fine, it was just the minnows that tripped him up. To finish 4th under Levein we'd have had to finish below Lithuania or a still minnows Iceland: we were only in the position of having another three credible opponents in our group under Strachan because Levein butchered our seeding and put us into Pot 4. We were also sitting 6th of 6 teams without a win after 4 games when Levein was sacked, and 5th of 6 teams without a win after three games when Vogts was sacked.

None of that excuses Strachan's failure to qualify or finishing fourth of course, but it means he's not as bad as those three.

1 minute ago, senorsoupe said:

Canada's got nothing scheduled for November.  Nothing like paying full international ticket prices to watch Fraser Aird, Marcus Haber, Charlie Trafford et al. 

I attended the Canada friendly at ER earlier this year.

It was cruel and unusual punishment.

Archived