Gordon Strachan

Elixir

43 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Sutton really grown on me. Really like him now. 

Indeed, I'm quite enjoying him on BT Sports this season so far.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I actually found Strachan's comments on "engineering" Hearts, Hibs and Rangers into the Premiership worse, but his not infrequent talking down of the domestic game is unwelcome.

For about two years now, pretty much everything Strachan has said has been stupid.  Sometimes you can't help feeling that it's probably damaging too.

I didn't really notice Strachans comments in the press/on tv until the euros this summer. He is basically blaming the players or lack of quality with our players instead of looking at himself. It's just going to back fire on him as a decent sized percentage of Scotland fans are on his back just now anyway.

I've liked Sutton for quite a while as a pundit and echo the comments above. He obviously does his research before each game and comes across quite well. He's not afraid to speak his mind like post match Dundee v Rangers game which is quite refreshing to see.

The question i have for Strachan, or more to the point, his supporters, is this; if Brenton is only at Sellick for the CL because Scottish football's crap, why does he continue in the job which requires him to promote its virtues?? 

The man's an arsehole. 

Hopefully all his supporters especially foruranus who constantly has his mouth wrapped Roon his wee ginger baws,  may start to see through this little cretin. 

Now imagine you own a buisness appoint a manager to run it, and all he does publicly is talk down what your selling......mmmm 

Hopefully all his supporters especially foruranus who constantly has his mouth wrapped Roon his wee ginger baws,  may start to see through this little cretin. 

Now imagine you own a buisness appoint a manager to run it, and all he does publicly is talk down what your selling......mmmm 

Will have to wait til 4 games in when qualification is utterly gone

9 hours ago, kenny131 said:

Why should the National Team be any different from the National league :(

I was a major fan of Strachan but now I'm thinking now that was more to do with him not being Burley or Levein.  Not sure what the answer is though, hell I don't think I even know what the question is! 

Why should the National Team be any different from the National league [emoji20]

I was a major fan of Strachan but now I'm thinking now that was more to do with him not being Burley or Levein.  Not sure what the answer is though, hell I don't think I even know what the question is! 

I'm wondering that too. I was delighted when Levein was appointed, but mainly because it meant the godawful Burley era was over.

15 hours ago, kenny131 said:

:lol: Still, at least you're not totally rattled by it.  Ooft...terrible patter.

Oh wait, haud on, I've always said I don't really have a stance either way on Strachan.  I don't have the same fire-and-brimstone hate that some have, but I'm not going to pretend he's God's gift.  I'm sure you can find the quote where I said something similar, because you've probably got some kind of dossier on me.  If there was a better option that I thought the SFA would realistically go for, I would have let him go at the end of the last campaign.  I also said that consistently.  But given that the SFA are unlikely to go out and take a risk, any change at that point in time would probably have seen us get someone that wouldn't have made much difference.

5 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Why should the National Team be any different from the National league :(

Good point.  At the time Levein left, I don't think there were many options who'd be considered worse.  Also helped that he got us off to a start that was night and day compared to the latter days.  I was a lot more negative than some when he was appointed, probably not too dissimilar to the way I am now.  Wanted to see how he would get on before going all out support like some were.  He did alright, certainly better than previous managers.  But he's hardly been a revelation.  

Not sure there is really an answer at the moment.  There's a lot of risk in hiring a new manager, even at the start of the campaign.  That's something the SFA are always going to be averse to.  Couple that with the fact that they're unlikely to ever go foreign, then what are our options?  There aren't really any.  Hence why I was alright with them giving him two more years, see if he can develop any ideas he's had.  If he fails to qualify again, he'll probably jump before he's pushed.  Either or.  Then hopefully there's a decent option waiting at that point, because Euro 2020 is a realistic target.  If we fail with either the first or second routes for that, then we're fucked.

Good point.  At the time Levein left, I don't think there were many options who'd be considered worse.  Also helped that he got us off to a start that was night and day compared to the latter days.  I was a lot more negative than some when he was appointed, probably not too dissimilar to the way I am now.  Wanted to see how he would get on before going all out support like some were.  He did alright, certainly better than previous managers.  But he's hardly been a revelation.  

Not sure there is really an answer at the moment.  There's a lot of risk in hiring a new manager, even at the start of the campaign.  That's something the SFA are always going to be averse to.  Couple that with the fact that they're unlikely to ever go foreign, then what are our options?  There aren't really any.  Hence why I was alright with them giving him two more years, see if he can develop any ideas he's had.  If he fails to qualify again, he'll probably jump before he's pushed.  Either or.  Then hopefully there's a decent option waiting at that point, because Euro 2020 is a realistic target.  If we fail with either the first or second routes for that, then we're fucked.

He should've went after the utter failure of the Euros. He's clueless.

Just now, Highlandmagyar said:

He should've went after the utter failure of the Euros. He's clueless.

Only it wasn't "an utter failure".  But that's old, sad ground.  Like I said, I would have let him go had he had a decent option waiting.  We didn't.

It was a rare occasion at the end of the campaign because 99% of the media were behind him, the SFA were behind him, the majority of fans were behind him and the players were behind him. 

Bit risky to offer him a new deal because most people on here either want rid of him or are giving him one last chance with this campaign but I felt whoever the manager was going to be should be given at least this campaign and the next one because qualifying for the WC is much harder and it's not as much of a failure. It's still a failure of course but England normally romp their qualifying groups and 2nd place doesn't even guarantee qualification. If we are out the running quick the majority of fans will want him punted and the new manager will need a few games to rebuild and were going through the same cycle again going into the Euros.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

:lol: Still, at least you're not totally rattled by it.  Ooft...terrible patter.

Oh wait, haud on, I've always said I don't really have a stance either way on Strachan.  I don't have the same fire-and-brimstone hate that some have, but I'm not going to pretend he's God's gift.  I'm sure you can find the quote where I said something similar, because you've probably got some kind of dossier on me.  If there was a better option that I thought the SFA would realistically go for, I would have let him go at the end of the last campaign.  I also said that consistently.  But given that the SFA are unlikely to go out and take a risk, any change at that point in time would probably have seen us get someone that wouldn't have made much difference.

Why would anyone wait until he either has enough, or we're out of the running early, than act now? If it's perceived lack of options, they'll be as good or bad when that time comes. It's not some voluntary or conscripted job....arguably far too well-paid, and an excellent opportunity for managers to prove themselves in various tasks. 

1 hour ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Why would anyone wait until he either has enough, or we're out of the running early, than act now? If it's perceived lack of options, they'll be as good or bad when that time comes. It's not some voluntary or conscripted job....arguably far too well-paid, and an excellent opportunity for managers to prove themselves in various tasks. 

All of that is a bit of a stretch.  The "why" question would need to be directed at the SFA, but in my opinion, no matter what your feelings on him personally (I can see why some dislike him on that standpoint), I don't think success-wise, we were that much worse than in previous campaigns.  We failed, no disputing that, but I don't think it was bad to the degree that deserved him being sacked.  It was borderline though, I admit.

I also disagree that if there's no options now, that there won't be in 2 years.  Anything could happen in that time.  Some of the more high profile Scottish managers may have had such a shitemare that the SFA believe they can get them.  Maybe they soften on foreign options.  Saying they'll be as good or as bad two years down the line is just saying something for the sake of getting Strachan out.

You then say it's an excellent opportunity for managers to prove themselves.  No, it absolutely isn't.  You really want the top job in our country to be a means for someone to prove themself?  They need to be proven by the time they get in the door.  Otherwise we're just be on the same old waltzer, and when the music stops we'll still be shite.  The next manager has to be right.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

Only it wasn't "an utter failure".  But that's old, sad ground.  Like I said, I would have let him go had he had a decent option waiting.  We didn't.

It was not a failure!!! Did you miss the whole we never qualified part.

1 minute ago, kenny131 said:

It was not a failure!!! Did you miss the whole we never qualified part.

Did you miss the whole post that is right above yours?

23 minutes ago, forameus said:

We failed, no disputing that

Seriously man, you're seeming like a jilted lover about all of this.  You're lovely and all, but I don't think I fancy you anymore.  It's not you, it's me.  Etc etc.

5 minutes ago, forameus said:

Did you miss the whole post that is right above yours?

Seriously man, you're seeming like a jilted lover about all of this.  You're lovely and all, but I don't think I fancy you anymore.  It's not you, it's me.  Etc etc.

I will agree with you on this 1...it's definitely you etc etc etc

Archived