Gordon Strachan

Elixir

Folk are speaking as if these were vintage France and Italy sides. France went to the Euros and finished lower in their group than Romania, while Italy could only scrape a draw with Romania at the same tournament and got through the group thanks to beating France. 

But they were there.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a waste of time arguing about replacements.

You can only piss with the cock you have got, which is a pool of players less than the likes of the above and facilities that don't cater to winter football. We've got a very good domestic league in terms of spectators, and number of full-time clubs compared to just about any other of our size, but participation wise we are struggling, and that is the reason why we've done nothing for years. Not 16 team leagues, not Bertie Vogts.

You either move to summer football, which encourages more people to play at the best times in a pretty shitty year round climate, or stay in the winter and chuck money at indoor facilities, to attempt to encourage more kids and younger players to take up the game, and anyone else currently playing to remain in the game as opposed to training in howling winds, rain and snow and whatever else in December and January etc.

Yeah Strachan is an arrogant, sarcastic wee fud stuck in his ways, yeah Chris Martin is shite, so on and so forth, but our problem is much much bigger than individual players or a manager. 

Can you blame the manager for Burke, Snodgrass and Ritchie all having poor games? I think Lithuania deserve a bit of credit for nullifying our attacking threat.

Only Robertson and maybe Bannan got pass marks.

Hopefully Griffiths or Fletcher starts on Tuesday night. I'd also drop Burke and play Tierney at left back and Robertson at left mid.

If we lose by 2+ he'll be under immense pressure going into the England game.

You can blame a manager who doesn't have a Scooby Doo when plan A goes tits up.

Lol at posts like these. Even we can beat Georgia at home so we must be better than Wales, no?

In fact this is the first time in 2 years that we have played the same opposition as Wales in competitive matches. Tuesday will be the 2nd. Maybe the irrelevant comparisons with them will finally stop

There is quite a relevant comparison - Wales for some time have been punching above their weight - we have been punching well below.

You can blame a manager who doesn't have a Scooby Doo when plan A goes tits up.

I think Fletcher getting injured meant we couldn't bring on Fletcher and Griffiths but it was McArthur who scored. Griffiths did have a great chance and Forrest should have burst the net, if either scored the headlines would be different, although even if we scraped a 2-1 win there still would have been disgruntled punters and rightly so because it simply wasn't good enough from everyone.

Folk seriously touting Tommy Wright? Did they not see St Johnstone not winning a game for about 3 months last season? The only reason we finished fourth was because the rest of the league is fucking shite.

It'll be the same this season when we finish second. Tommy Wright will be a magician.  He doesn't want or need a hat though.

Frightened of losing manager.

[emoji6]

I think Fletcher getting injured meant we couldn't bring on Fletcher and Griffiths but it was McArthur who scored. Griffiths did have a great chance and Forrest should have burst the net, if either scored the headlines would be different, although even if we scraped a 2-1 win there still would have been disgruntled punters and rightly so because it simply wasn't good enough from everyone.

Strachan seems to me to be one in yet another along line of Scotland managers who is obsessed with where a player plays (league not position) rather than their actual form.

He is also, like others before him, guilty of giving the opposition far too much respect - I don't know if it's just me but I'm increasingly pissed off of reading about him (and other Scotland managers) building up opposition into being Barcelona when they are fucking miles from it.

Stand off as we did last night and any cvnt would look like Barcelona.

Do Strachan or any of his staff actually scout opponents, d'ya reckon? I was wondering that during the game on Saturday. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't. It would fit with the weird combination of arrogance and incompetence they've got going on.

Its a waste of time arguing about replacements.

You can only piss with the cock you have got, which is a pool of players less than the likes of the above and facilities that don't cater to winter football. We've got a very good domestic league in terms of spectators, and number of full-time clubs compared to just about any other of our size, but participation wise we are struggling, and that is the reason why we've done nothing for years. Not 16 team leagues, not Bertie Vogts.

You either move to summer football, which encourages more people to play at the best times in a pretty shitty year round climate, or stay in the winter and chuck money at indoor facilities, to attempt to encourage more kids and younger players to take up the game, and anyone else currently playing to remain in the game as opposed to training in howling winds, rain and snow and whatever else in December and January etc.

Yeah Strachan is an arrogant, sarcastic wee fud stuck in his ways, yeah Chris Martin is shite, so on and so forth, but our problem is much much bigger than individual players or a manager. 

Couldn't have said it better myself, although I'm not so keen on summer football... Think it's the facilities and structure of developing players we are seriously needing to look at.

Remember Strachan's fluffers we're insistent that he'd at least brought along an improvement in performances, as if that was a valid defence of his position? I genuinely can't remember the last time we played well in a home game, and Saturday was verging on 'Liechstentein at home' levels of hopelessness.

Also the idea that Strachan's failed 4-2-3-1 approach to every game is just 'playing to the strengths of the team'. Why were Ritchie and Snodgrass utterly anonymous then? 

The excuses are wearing thin now, and it's credit to his media skills alone that he isn't being savaged to the same extent as Burley and Levein. TTG.

Remember Strachan's fluffers we're insistent that he'd at least brought along an improvement in performances, as if that was a valid defence of his position? I genuinely can't remember the last time we played well in a home game, and Saturday was verging on 'Liechstentein at home' levels of hopelessness.

Also the idea that Strachan's failed 4-2-3-1 approach to every game is just 'playing to the strengths of the team'. Why were Ritchie and Snodgrass utterly anonymous then? 

The excuses are wearing thin now, and it's credit to his media skills alone that he isn't being savaged to the same extent as Burley and Levein. TTG.

There was also the notion that you couldn't have forwards other than fletcher or Martin because none of the rest can play up front alone irrespective of their goal scoring records. Turns out Martin can't play up front alone and is easily bullied off the ball and Fletcher having finally hit some form can't get a game.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Tommy Wright ffs. Worked wonders at the Perth Saints but fuxakes.

Tommy Wright is a better manager than Gordon Strachan.  There's no doubt he'd make the team more likely to win games.

1 hour ago, AMMjag said:

Taking the questions in order.

1) He did see an improvement early on, then he didn't.  Since Georgia we haven't been great.  We did play well against Poland at home, but were pretty shite on Saturday

2) Because they had a shite game.  It's a massive stretch to point to that and say "well clearly the system isn't working".  People said to move back to 4-4-1-1 or similar, Snodgrass - and probably Ritchie - would have played in that and probably still been shite.  

3) The media skills that see him regularly "savaged" by most of the people that don't like him?

Archived