Oor Nic

Fide

Only 10 declared for Leave though. I wonder how Corbyn really voted.

I had the same thought. But the Billy Bragg wing of the Labour Party tends to be all in on Europe, so I don't know. He was muted to say the least during the campaign. Less willing to be seen with Cameron than anything else.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the Scottish referendum, the Scottish Government put the question to the UK Government who then refused to put the question to the European Commission.

Your statement that "everyone at the EU who was asked about it said there was no legal basis for it" is a lie, as the question never reached the European Commission.

European commission president good enough for you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36619907

European commission president good enough for you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36619907

What were his first 5 words?

Your report states they were "Although there is no certainty..."

Certainty could easily have been established if the UK had been willing to put the question to the Commission. They weren't willing to do this. I wonder why?

You mean former president? He actually opens his statement with "Although there is no certainty...." indicating that under normal circumstances, an independent nation would need to apply for EU membership and go through all the usual processes. But that it wasn't "certain" that this would necessarily apply to Scotland.

This was also said back in 2012 when it wasn't even considered that the UK would be dragging Scotland out of the EU against it's will any time soon.

And if you read my post that's exactly the point. Salmond kept saying it definitely would happen but there were no facts or legal views that actually backed that up. As I've said I see no conclusive statements from anyone that would be in a position to make it happen that Scotland would have continuing membership of the EU in the event of independence.

If Oor Nic manages to successfully manoeuvre us out of the UK and back into the EU then she is forever my hero. A 100ft statue of her with a big smug grin on her face needs to be placed right on the fucking border. With lots of 10ft Alex Salmonds hanging about being her minions. In fact, Alex Salmond statues can be oor border wall. Just shoulder to shoulder 10ft statues of Alex Salmond right across the country. What a dream. 

The seething hatred that Salmond and Sturgeon elicit from the self-haters for daring - daring - to question Scotland's place as a colourful little bit of the British state is glorious. Many of them genuinely cannot fathom or handle this creeping and insidious recognition of Scotland as a real nation in a political union rather than a pseudo-region. I genuinely think the visceral hatred for "fat Salmond" and "wee Nippy" comes from them being forced to consider Scotland in a way they much preferred to brush under the carpet. Being a "proud and patriotic Scot" suddenly becomes harder when you're asked to put your money where your mouth is, and it seems hissing hatred at the folk who ask you to do so is the only recourse.

Pleasing.

You should read the comments section on all the MSN articles, pure bile, racism and hatred. The really do believe that they have some right of ownership and control over Scotland. Funny but somewhat disturbing at the same time.

It appears on Facebook and Twitter as well. There was a Twitter feed called "BritNatAbuseBot" that kept track of the vitriol spewed out at independence figures and supporters for threatening Scotland's proud regional status.

But surely the fact that the UK Parliament refused to put the question forward to the EU Commission during the referendum campaign should lend you a clue? They weren't going to do anything to boost the case for Scottish Independence and knew that if they had put the question forward to the Commission, it would have resulted in an answer that would have boosted the case for independence.

Based on what evidence would it have resulted in that answer? Sturgeon is even saying now (a lot more truthfully than Salmond did) that she doesn't know. I'm guessing she's put some thought into this. Maybe even consulted a few people and even asked a lawyer or two.

If there was a definite credible case for this would she not be screaming it from the rooftops.

It may well happen. In actual fact no-one knows as it's a unique situation. The evidence so far does nothing to back that up though.

Again, in 2014 the people in Scotland voted DEMOCRATICALLY to REMAIN as part of the U.K.

The referendum on Thursday was UK wide, not Scottish. Please understand

You clearly have little or no understanding of the role of the Scottish Parliament.

Again, in 2014 the people in Scotland voted DEMOCRATICALLY to REMAIN as part of the U.K.

The referendum on Thursday was UK wide, not Scottish. Please understand

They also democratically votes for an SNP Government that promised IndyRef 2 if there was "a “significant and material†change in circumstances - only the stupid would deny that this is not a significant and material change in circumstances.

As much as Alex Salmond is the complete and utter man, I somehow doubt that he'd have managed to handle the last two days in the almost universally praised manner that Sturgeon has. Salmond's swaggering evisceration of Unionists got us this far, the current message that the Scottish Government will calmly lead the country out of the Union and that there's nothing that the rUK can do about it is crushing what's left of Unionism. 

And scotnats hate the tories and labour.

If you think there is no logic to any of the above you're deluded. They all have differing beliefs which is perfectly logical.

There is no logic to some of the abuse directed at Sturgeon. She doesn't troll Unionists like Salmond did. She's quite reasonable and an effective politician.

There is no logic to some of the abuse directed at Sturgeon. She doesn't troll Unionists like Salmond did. She's quite reasonable and an effective politician.

I think a lot of English folk are fed up hearing about Scotland leaving the UK.

For far too long nothing like this was discussed in their media. Now they're sick of it.

Nae luck eh?

They also democratically votes for an SNP Government that promised IndyRef 2 if there was "a “significant and material†change in circumstances - only the stupid would deny that this is not a significant and material change in circumstances.

Apparently there are plenty that attract a tick in the box marked stupid. Both governments seriously need to up their game as far as education is concerned as it's a disgrace how many people are entering the real world without the tools to compete against a pea pod for a job. 

What sturgeons problem is. She thinks we just had a referendum to see if Scotland wants to leave the EU

See what actually happened , a couple of years ago we had a referendum to see if Scotland wanted to be part of the U.K. And we voted to stay.

Now wait for it,

This referendum was to see if the uk wanted to leave the EU.

Can someone please explain that her coz she's just making a c**t of herself.

What sturgeons problem is. She thinks we just had a referendum to see if Scotland wants to leave the EU

See what actually happened , a couple of years ago we had a referendum to see if Scotland wanted to be part of the U.K. And we voted to stay.

Now wait for it,

This referendum was to see if the uk wanted to leave the EU.

Can someone please explain that her coz she's just making a c**t of herself.

The only person making a cvnt of themselves is you.

Archived