Conservative Leadership Thread

Sooky

Are either even high enough profile? One of them taking over gives me flashbacks of Paul Hegarty taking over United just because he was there.

Both are very high profile aren't they? Ahead of them you have Cameron, Osborne and Boris I would say they would comfortably be fourth and fifth place. IDS next, then Hunt, Fallon, Grayling, and Hammond making up the rest of the top ten. Arguably Patel and Greening there or there abouts.

Gove and May are huge though.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are way too quick to assume May will likely win this. We'll have to see what happens when she's grilled on her wider policies. However, I won't disagree with anyone who says it's likely to come down to Gove vs May.

People are way too quick to assume May will likely win this. We'll have to see what happens when she's grilled on her wider policies. However, I won't disagree with anyone who says it's likely to come down to Gove vs May.

It depends on whether Gove has been damaged by knifing Boris.

May vs Leadsom is equally possible and that could be a very feisty contest. 

It depends on whether Gove has been damaged by knifing Boris.

May vs Leadsom is equally possible and that could be a very feisty contest. 

Here's the thing, whether you like him or not. Most people who follow politics know what Gove's positions are across a wide range of issues. However, it's not very clear what May's wider views are.

Here's the thing, whether you like him or not. Most people who follow politics know what Gove's positions are across a wide range of issues. However, it's not very clear what May's wider views are.

Gow is an ex editorial writer for the Times. He can come up with convincing arguments for either side of an issue given 10 minutes warning. I wouldn't trust him an inch. He was also an actor. May has managed to keep the Home Office on track for longer than anyone else in history. 

I'd heard of Boris Johnson before, but none of these other folks. Figured I'd look them up on wiki. Michael Gove:

Oops! :lol:

The liberation of Iraq has actually been that rarest of things – a proper British foreign policy success. Next year, while the world goes into recession, Iraq is likely to enjoy 10% GDP growth. Alone in the Arab Middle East, it is now a fully functioning democracy with a free press, properly contested elections and an independent judiciary ... Sunni and Shia contend for power in parliament, not in street battles. The ingenuity, idealism and intelligence of the Iraqi people can now find an outlet in a free society rather than being deployed, as they were for decades, simply to ensure survival in a fascist republic that stank of fear.

— Michael Gove, Michael Gove: Triumph of freedom over evil[122]

Theresa May is far and away the best choice by the looks of it.

That says it all, education education education.

Anyone who followed what Theresa May was up to at the Home Office would either conclude that she's evil or was willing to repress her principles and enact evil policies.

I'd rather have Gove, but ideally they'd all lose.

That's basically my view.

Agree with that view about May. Gove is an idealist nutcase as well though, His legacy at education is the utter destruction of of teacher morale and shambolic reforms.

He is also a prize c**t.

I'd heard of Boris Johnson before, but none of these other folks. Figured I'd look them up on wiki. Michael Gove:

Oops! :lol:

The liberation of Iraq has actually been that rarest of things – a proper British foreign policy success. Next year, while the world goes into recession, Iraq is likely to enjoy 10% GDP growth. Alone in the Arab Middle East, it is now a fully functioning democracy with a free press, properly contested elections and an independent judiciary ... Sunni and Shia contend for power in parliament, not in street battles. The ingenuity, idealism and intelligence of the Iraqi people can now find an outlet in a free society rather than being deployed, as they were for decades, simply to ensure survival in a fascist republic that stank of fear.

— Michael Gove, Michael Gove: Triumph of freedom over evil[122]

It's a complete *****hole tbh.

Andrea Leadsome 3 years ago:

"I'm going to nail my colours to the mast here: I don't think the UK should leave the EU. I think it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty at a time when the tectonic plates of global success are moving.

"Economic success is the vital underpinning of every happy nation. The well-being we all crave goes hand in hand with economic success."

Theresa May has ruled out a General Election until 2020 if she wins.

Theresa May would basically be nearly 4 years as PM before the next election.  She has also ruled out another Brexit referendum.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-rules-our-early-general-election-or-second-eu-referendum-if-she-becomes-conservative-a7110656.html

Theresa May has ruled out a General Election until 2020 if she wins.

Theresa May would basically be nearly 4 years as PM before the next election.  She has also ruled out another Brexit referendum.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-rules-our-early-general-election-or-second-eu-referendum-if-she-becomes-conservative-a7110656.html

Is it really down to her whether another General Election is triggered or not? I always laugh when individual politicians make all of these promises, when they count for nothing without having the support of enough MPs.

So a Scotland, still within the UK, outwith the EU and with Theresa May as PM?

I simply don't understand anyone who would be happy with that state of affairs. I know they exist, but they shouldn't.

Archived