Conservative Leadership Thread

Sooky

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting after all the talk of him supporting BoJo

Agreed between them to split the Brexiter vote. Neither of them want to touch it with a ten-foot pole. They've both told too many blatant lies to survive long in the job.

Agreed between them to split the Brexiter vote. Neither of them want to touch it with a ten-foot pole. They've both told too many blatant lies to survive long in the job.

Only one of them will get on the ballot sheet though

Incidentally, the internal attitudes towards this are impossible to fathom. Could Tory MPs who hate Boris now be in a position to vote for him (rather than Anyone But Boris) so that he has to shoulder the shit that's coming in? This seems to be Soubry's attitude.

I don't understand why you guys would prefer right wing nutters like Michael Gove or Theresa May over Boris Johnson who is basically just a Eurosceptic and slightly gaffe prone version of David Cameron.

I'd prefer being shot in the head to being stabbed, but there's not much in it. This is really a case of who we want to take the flack for the mess that is incoming and the responsibility for the promises that were made.

There seems to be an all round attitude that the incoming PM is going to have a difficult task these next few years.

Perhaps if Labour can find a more centrist candidate they'd be in position to win the house back in 2020?

There seems to be an all round attitude that the incoming PM is going to have a difficult task these next few years.

Perhaps if Labour can find a more centrist candidate they'd be in position to win the house back in 2020?

I think it's an impossible situation.  In their wisdom, the fickle British electorate have voted for Brexit, and will more than likely punish any prospective leader for implementing it.   You are talking about a six month leadership of the Conservative party, I would imagine.  

If it's a choice, I'd take Boris Johnson over any of the rest of those Tory scoundrels, and it's not even close.

I think it's an impossible situation. In their wisdom, the fickle British electorate have voted for Brexit, and will more than likely punish any prospective leader for implementing it. You are talking about a six month leadership of the Conservative party, I would imagine.

If it's a choice, I'd take Boris Johnson over any of the rest of those Tory scoundrels, and it's not even close.

6 months? Absolute horseshit.

If there's a snap poll the Tories will win easily and if not, the new PM has until 2020

6 months? Absolute horseshit.

If there's a snap poll the Tories will win easily and if not, the new PM has until 2020

Don't implement Brexit, popularity plummets.  Implement Brexit, popularity plummets.  It's impossible to govern in those circumstances. 

My point is not about the Tories anyway, it's about the next leader.  He or she is damned if they do and damned if they don't.  

Great stuff from Gove. Can't stand his politics but I admire his ruthlessness. Will he pull enough nominations to stop Boris even getting on the ballot? Hope so.

Gove's unexpected candidacy has thrown the contest wide open. His attack on Boris's ability to build a team will be very damaging. Sarah Vine may have leaked her email, warning him about Boris, deliberately. There must have been a lively discussion when he got home.

Until this morning, it looked like being a straight fight between Borisconi and May. He should take significant numbers votes from May as well as Boris. He'll also take a few from the minor candidates like Crabb and Fox. They may withdraw now.

The MPs are electing two finalists rather than just nominating them. It's the process, like AV, that the Conservatives use to choose Parliamentary candidates in the final selection meetings. The difference is that two candidates are chosen rather than one.

Archived