Conservative Leadership Thread

Sooky

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because most of those chumps had no idea what they were voting for, and when the reality of this nonsense becomes evident (when they can't just pop off to Magaluf and whizz through immigration), they're going to hold the current PM responsible.  People voted for rhetoric.

Edit; and as I'm sure you are aware, there's a huge difference between Euroscepticism and voting to leave the damn thing entirely.

Erm no: the Tory party has been the natural home of Eurosceptic Middle England for a generation. Which is why Cameron was forced to put a referendum in his manifesto, and middle England voted for him. And then voted to Leave in overwhelming numbers. There is no good reason then to suggest that their views will flip overnight once that political process begins. Brexit was indeed far more popular in England and Wales than the Tory party itself - even if a few million voters developed buyers' remorse, support for the policy would still easily coalesce behind the government pulling the country out of the EU.

And then there's the obvious fallacy in which the electorate that you characterise as "chumps" will somehow automatically identify social and economic problems with the failure of an incumbent government, as opposed to entirely plausible alternative reasons such as union hostility to public service reforms or pesky immigrants. 

May to romp to 4 years of un-elected rule under a banner of unity and "A Programme of Radical Social Reform"

f**k my hat, if we aren't independent before England are out of the World Cup then nothing is worth it, everything is pointless and I'm moving to Eritrea. 

Unlikely 

Eritrea will be taking measures to curb migration from the UK

Well what a strange morning...

So we currently have:

Michael Gove

Theresa May

Stephen Crabb

Andrea Leadsom

Liam Fox

Interestingly, 3/5 were born in Scotland.

I'm likely to back Gove as it stands, but there's still a long campaign to go so we'll see.

Well what a strange morning...

So we currently have:

Michael Gove

Theresa May

Stephen Crabb

Andrea Leadsom

Liam Fox

It's going to be Teresa May or Michael Gove...and we laugh at he Americans for putting Trump up as president!

Apparently Michael Gove declaring his candidacy pushed a lot of Boris voters over to his side. He's fucked him over, I still think Boris wanted this.

Archived