Conservative Leadership Thread

Sooky

Liam Fox just has. According to Sky News, if he didn't make the final 2 (which he won't) then he'd get his supporters to back either May or Crabb. He has a huge grassroots support, usually comes near the top of Conservative Home polls for preferred leader.

May and Boris both expected to announce tomorrow. Alan Duncan at PMQs today asked Cameron if he would rather it be a stateswoman like Angela Merkel or Silvio Borisconi (he's a May supporter, you'll be shocked to hear).

Nicky Morgan and Jeremy Hunt have both had murmurings, but I'd be a bit surprised if they ran.

Thought EVEL would rule out Fox anyway...

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A new Times poll of Tory members suggests that if there is a leadership contest tomorrow between May and Boris, May would win 55-38%.

May beats Johnson by: 

15% on strongest leader 

30% on uniting Tories 

28% on prepared to take tough decisions

Johnson beats May by: 

27% understanding about winning elections

49% best media performer

These polls were apparently spot on for both DC and IDS in their leadership wins.

May's a hatchet-faced old nut sack, but I'd still have preferred her being Scotland's overlord to Boris. Of course, I might have changed my view now that the job of PM is likely to be a poisoned chalice. Perhaps Boris should get it, if only because now he probably doesn't want it. Let him be the man to shoulder the burden of Brexit and be hit by the tidal wave of shite that follows.

May's a hatchet-faced old nut sack, but I'd still have preferred her being Scotland's overlord to Boris. Of course, I might have changed my view now that the job of PM is likely to be a poisoned chalice. Perhaps Boris should get it, if only because now he probably doesn't want it. Let him be the man to shoulder the burden of Brexit and be hit by the tidal wave of shite that follows.

Boris getting the gig would pure Karma.

Boris getting the gig would pure Karma.

Boris finally getting his dream job, but for it to be as an "unelected" (I know) PM detested by nearly half the population, and immediately provoking the ire of Europe and his old chums in finance, whilst overseeing new waves of austerity and having to face all the false promises VoteLeave made? I'll fucking take it.

Incidentally, Gove explicitly and repeatedly stated that Brexit meant exiting the single market. What's the deal with that? Is it going to be spun now as "one man's opinion"? Really sells the "none of us know what the f**k we're doing, we never expected you idiots to be so thick you'd actually vote to leave?"

If May takes over she will try to find a compromise that will cause huge splits in the Tory Party and drive more Tory voters to UKIP.

Mind you I'll be very disappointed if it's anyone but Boris.

A new Times poll of Tory members suggests that if there is a leadership contest tomorrow between May and Boris, May would win 55-38%.

May beats Johnson by:

15% on strongest leader

30% on uniting Tories

28% on prepared to take tough decisions

Johnson beats May by:

27% understanding about winning elections

49% best media performer

These polls were apparently spot on for both DC and IDS in their leadership wins.

Good man Sooky.

post-54285-14672421131616_thumb.jpg

Theresa May doesn't think humans should have rights, so I'm not really a fan.

That could be self interest. I'm not convinced that Theresa May is a human. She looks like she hasn't slept in about a decade, for a start.

Spot-on article, but it misses one key promise made by Gove and his camp (and possibly the most important): Brexiters claimed we would be leaving the single market to look elsewhere. Sturgeon didn't miss it and is pressing the point about Scotland needing and wanting that access, and both Cameron and Johnson are studiously ignoring it by acting like a deal to retain access will be struck. This lie of the Brexit campaign must be admitted and owned, not swept under the carpet.

Archived