Your financial situation

I'm selling my flat and not buying a new one, I have no debt, after allowing for a contingency fund what to do with the rest of the money? I am a lazy fucked and dont want to have to do much. I dont need this money in the short term as I have no intention if buying another property until I know I'm going to live on if until I die and I'd only do it in cash, sod mortgages.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you shitting me? I earn a decent swedge but unless they were a close mate, £10 would be the absolute maximum I'd give someone I wasn't friends with - and even then if they were doing something difficult - not just "detoxing" which they might have been planning to do anyway.

You should have just waited a while and told him that you added a donation anonymously. Or just say you were skint. Which you now are.

I agree with this, more fool me but I just can't say no!

Own nothing, owe nothing.

I'm happy with that arrangement, currently live in a company paid house, comp car etc.

Put a bit away every month for a rainy day but if I need to dip into it, don't care.

One thing that I'm happy about is being in the position to help my mum out every month, she's struggling on a State pension and a tiny amount from employers pensions.

The fact that she's not worrying about electric, can she put petrol in her car, decent food on the table etc is far more satisfying to me than money in the bank.

I think however, she's taking the piss by having a 10 week summer break in Monaco every year. With weekly trips to her favourite hairdresser in Paris. But maybe that's what pensioners deserve?

Pretty decent. The only debt I have is my student loan which I pay no attention to. Put a few hundred a month away into a savings account. I'm on maternity leave at the moment and only get statutory pay but have planned it so that'll hopefully be able to take a whole year off before going back to work part time.

Yeah - been forced into donating twice now and my gf yesterday sponsored a friend for some fucking cycle she is doing.

You can get sponsored for menstruating now too? Don't tell Banana, FFS.

Also, start up a stage show with Mortar Bored if you're a bit short on cash; that was good   ^_^

You can get sponsored for menstruating now too? Don't tell Banana, FFS.

Also, start up a stage show with Mortar Bored if you're a bit short on cash; that was good ^_^

Not sure if you are being sarcastic?

I'll respond the P&B way.

Whooshed

Or

^^^Verge of Tears^^^

I give up.

Hoose for this pish!

They've just had a child.  The only way they're currently communicating with each other is various different inflections of the word "c**t".

After a few months it's simmers down to just utter resentment at anything the other does. 

Parenthood is wonderful.

No I did not! My father committed suicide, that's the only parental loss I've suffered.

Hopefully that will change soon.

You said you were at your mothers funeral and needed a lift then Zen said "was there not any room in the funeral car?" I even expressed my sympathies!

You said you were at your mothers funeral and needed a lift then Zen said "was there not any room in the funeral car?" I even expressed my sympathies!

DI Throbber has Mortar Bored on toast here.

I reckon I could probably handle it, when I moved here I was unemployed for 6 months and had zero income and got by OK but found I had to be fairly structured with my lifestyle in order to prevent myself from slipping into a boredom induced coma.

Only things that make me think I might not manage it are that at some point I will give in to her and have kids, and potentially buy a house here. Kids will probably mean a standard retirement. Buying property here I'm not so sure about. The sums involved are massive but the tax laws seem to make it worthwhile as you can deduct the interest from your tax bill. I'll worry about that in a couple of years if I get my permanent residency.

Aye kids will ruin it for you right enough, my little bundle of joy is 24 next month and living abroad now so that's made my finances a lot easier although I daresay there will be expenses like weddings and money for a deposit if and when she finally settles down. If you're still at the thinking about it stage then you'll be pooped for retiring in your 40's mate, kids ruin your social life and spend all your money even worse than wives do. :lol:  I hope it works out for you though, which ever way it goes, there's no one 'right' way to do it, you just play the hand that's dealt you.

My 'dream', even up until I was about 30 was to get my Merchant Navy deck officer ticket when I left the Navy and bum around the pacific but that was before I married the current Mrs Root, even without her on the scene I doubt I'd go back to that idea, it would make going to watch Dundee tricky for starters.

Archived