Goodnight Sweetheart returns

Antlion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/goodnight-sweetheart?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_press_office&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=corporate

Anyone remember this - Rodney Trotter played a time-travelling bigamist who had a wife in the present (the 90s) and a girlfriend in war-torn London. In the end he got stuck in 1945 when the war ended, and his present-day wife discovered everything.

I liked this show as a kid, but watching it again, it strikes me as a brilliant concept that could have been so much more than the gentle, twee comedy it actually was. It's much more fun as an idea than it is funny. Still, it'll be interesting to see who plays his wives (both original actresses were replaced midway through). Holding out for a Dervla Kirwan return.

22 hours ago, Antlion said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/goodnight-sweetheart?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_press_office&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=corporate

Anyone remember this - Rodney Trotter played a time-travelling bigamist who had a wife in the present (the 90s) and a girlfriend in war-torn London. In the end he got stuck in 1945 when the war ended, and his present-day wife discovered everything.

I liked this show as a kid, but watching it again, it strikes me as a brilliant concept that could have been so much more than the gentle, twee comedy it actually was. It's much more fun as an idea than it is funny. Still, it'll be interesting to see who plays his wives (both original actresses were replaced midway through). Holding out for a Dervla Kirwan return.

No point in watching it then.

Spoiler

Only kidding. No one is going to watch that shit.

13 minutes ago, sjc said:

Dervla Kirwan was the best for me in it. I once sat next to her on a train going to Uni in London back in the day.....she was lovely.

fb56726dc4faccc1cfb0aea3126b5c9deeaf6ee1.jpg

A train that went to uni?  Incredible. 

20 hours ago, The Naitch said:

If they're bringing back shite like this they may as well go all the way and reinstate The Brittas Empire and Heil Honey I'm Home.

I'll bet it has aged terribly, but I remember the Brittas Empire being pretty funny.  

On 10/07/2016 at 08:04, Mozzamozza said:

Is Yvonne in it? She always struck me as a right filthy slut.

Slow day at work. Decided I had a bit of a thing for Janice Garvey out of Benidorm. Looked up to see what else she was in... and was shocked to learn she played Rita in Rita Sue and Bob Too. The harlot. 

And the actress who played Sue? None other than the woman who played Yvonne in Goodnight Sweetheart. So "filthy slut" was bang on the money. 

This was utter shite but you're right it was a great concept ruined by being near the bbc.

No, it was not a great concept, it was contrived, so you can blame the BBC for making this garbage, but it would still have been garbage whoever made it

Archived