Red Dead Redemption

Johnstoun

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think it's harsh and simplistic to say it's a Wild West GTA. There are obviously some similarities but this game is far more immersive. I think it's intentionally slow because unlike GTA, the object isn't to run around 100mph killing and robbing everyone. The fact you can engage with absolutely anyone is another thing GTA doesn't have.

I think it's written in a way that focusses more on the story and characters than the actual gameplay. Whereas although GTA has some very good (albeit shallow) characters, it's primarily about the action.

It's a more serious, more immersive experience that GTA for my money.  The GTA world is more like a parody of our world, in the sense that it has more humour and doesn't take itself too seriously.  Examples would be in GTAV you can find an alien, go ghost hunting and most things involving Trevor.  RDR2's world seems more grounded.  Everything you encounter seems to be how you imagine life in 1899 mid-west America would be.

Head shots are the answer. Do you take the assisted aim off? I keep it on as I find it challenging enough with it on. But I aim up slightly and it generally results in a headshot.

Head shots? You're funny. I can barely hit a coo's arse with a banjo but you want me to start taking head shots?! [emoji1]

It's a more serious, more immersive experience that GTA for my money.  The GTA world is more like a parody of our world, in the sense that it has more humour and doesn't take itself too seriously.  Examples would be in GTAV you can find an alien, go ghost hunting and most things involving Trevor.  RDR2's world seems more grounded.  Everything you encounter seems to be how you imagine life in 1899 mid-west America would be.

This is it for me too.

Was in a bar last night thinking it was exactly how your imagine life 120 years ago in the mid west. It’s so good and I love the deliberate slowness of it all.

I Newcastle fanned someone’s horse last night and they shot me in the face, so you can still do silly things as well.

11 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I can get why it could be a bit boring, but I'm going through this at glacial pace and loving it, I'm genuinely almost treating it like a second life- stick the game on, do some chores in the camp, go out hunting, deal with any random encounters where folk try and kill you, go to a pub and play poker or blackjack, sell stuff, give money to camp. I'm almost sad when I think "actually, I should do a story mission". I'm still in chapter two and only 31% complete but christ knows how many hours I've sunk into this.

I picked up a PS4 Pro and RDR2 last week and this sums up my experience with it.  I'm reluctant to move too quickly with the story, in which case I'll probably be playing this for about four months straight.

Restarted RDR2 as got caught in a silly situation of my own (undoing). Funniest part so far was getting trolleyed in town, riding back to my campsite in the morning only to fall off my horse when I went to hitch it. I rode around for ages yesterday just roaming, spent most of the day exploring. The cinematic option when you are following trails is just perfect. I have a few minor gripes with the controls and bugs here and there, but they World they’ve created is stunning and utterly immersive and the characterisation is amazing. Rockstar are light years ahead of everybody else in terms of characters and writing in open world games.

I'd say from my (relatively) limited time with the game, it's one of the most "alive" feeling worlds there's ever been in a game.  In the way that it makes you feel like you are a guest in the world, rather than the world being centred around you.  If that makes sense, and doesn't sound totally wanky.  Skyrim always trumpeted that the world would carry on without you, with NPCs and creatures fighting each other on occasion, but this is on another level.  

Really struck me during the now regular visits from bounty hunters.  I'm sitting on about $300 for one of the areas, and constantly have to check out the map to see if they've caught up with me.  I was finishing one of the loan shark missions and had just battered some Polish guy (I've rarely felt as much of a dick as I have during those missions btw) when 8 of them came up the only road leading to the farm.  Managed to get off the horse and hide in time as they searched.  Sneaked around, away, and out into a clearing, summoned the horse and then got the f**k out of there.  Nothing really that special about it, but the way the whole situation gets handled was brilliant.  No big forced set-piece as they find you, no fanfare, just a quiet search for you that is always happening, independent of what you're doing.

2 hours ago, Christophe said:

Rockstar are light years ahead of everybody else in terms of characters and writing in open world games.

I wouldn't go that far.  From a technical perspective, they're leading for the sheer detail, but I wouldn't say the characters or writing is jumping out as up there with the best yet.  Projekt Red are the kings at that for me.  

Loving it so far but I do find it overly time consuming having to travel everywhere on horse.  I have fast travel now but that only takes you one way so if you go somewhere far away you have to ride back.  You can get the train but then your horse doesn't come and that rules out fast travel till you get it back.

Also I seem to have a $300 bounty on my head in just about every area.  It seems difficult not to get that if you're "enjoying" the game.   I never have enough money to pay them off so have to rob people, which in turns ups my bounty so I rob more people.  It's a vicious cycle really

I always pay off my bounty ASAP, it made me poor to begin with, but that doesn’t last long and there’s plenty money to be made in the game....

pro-tip....do the treasure hunt missions for hundreds of dollars worth of booty. You earn more as the game goes on. I’ve always got £600 in my pocket minimum, plus have been upgrading the camp lots. There’s a fast travel upgrade in the camp upgrades - though you can only fast travel outbound from the camp. Don’t forget to use the trains for travelling quickly too. The incidental encounters are so good. The hunting is fun too, particularly for the legendary animals.

Loving it so far but I do find it overly time consuming having to travel everywhere on horse.  I have fast travel now but that only takes you one way so if you go somewhere far away you have to ride back.  You can get the train but then your horse doesn't come and that rules out fast travel till you get it back.
Also I seem to have a $300 bounty on my head in just about every area.  It seems difficult not to get that if you're "enjoying" the game.   I never have enough money to pay them off so have to rob people, which in turns ups my bounty so I rob more people.  It's a vicious cycle really
Get the stagecoach. Your horse spawns once you arrive. I wouldn't suggest fast travelling all the time though because a lot of the fun is the white or red dots that appear when you're travelling across country.

On 11/5/2018 at 15:04, 19QOS19 said:

It's not a spoiler on the main game but it's one of the white dots so if folk would rather discover them in the game and not be notified here then I'd suggest you stop reading here.

Has anyone come across the k k k yet? (Don't want to put it in Caps as it'll stand out obviously!). I left Strawberry last night and they were all surrounding a cross about to light it. Something happens and then they all go their separate ways. I killed the leader in black and was pleased to see I didn't get a red thumb!

I ran into them. They managed to set a couple on fire which was fun. A few ran off so I caught up with one and gave him a doing. 

Went to meet all the gunslingers last night but I'm wholly unprepared for the one up in the mountains. I was getting extremely bored after about 10 minutes of riding and still not being at my destination then 2 b*****d wolves jumped out from fucking nowhere, absolutely shat my pants. Managed to kill both and take the pelt, but then when I got to my destination and realised I was out of my depth at the mission I lost it.  Way back down I ran into a bear that appeared to be hunting with wolves, until they saw me and the bear came straight for me.  What a panic/thrill it is trying to stab f**k out of a big monstrous bear.

I'm so low on cash and still trying to understand everything I'm meant to be doing, but there's just so much variety in the game. Definitely requires patience though so I understand why some folk might be turned off.

I have two Treasure Maps - I have found the first treasure as it's part of a mission and you practically get led there but I have absolutely no idea where to go for the 2nd Treasure Map  ?

How do people find the places on the map with just a picture of a rock and an arrow around a tree ???

Are people just cheating to find the treasure ? 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, Eric said:

Get the stagecoach. Your horse spawns once you arrive. I wouldn't suggest fast travelling all the time though because a lot of the fun is the white or red dots that appear when you're travelling across country.

I can't as I'm a wanted man in all the states :)   I'll need to pay off that bounty

How do people find the places on the map with just a picture of a rock and an arrow around a tree ???

Yeah, the pictures meant f**k all to me so I just googled it. Fair play to anyone that can find treasure by looking at the pictures.

I have two Treasure Maps - I have found the first treasure as it's part of a mission and you practically get led there but I have absolutely no idea where to go for the 2nd Treasure Map  ?
I've got the guide book. In a world so big it'll be very few folk who find the spot without a guide. Though even with the book and Google, it still took me a while to find the treasure at the last part. It's up a mountain and trying to get to it was a nightmare.

I recommend doing both treasure hunts early on to build up your cash.

Went to meet all the gunslingers last night but I'm wholly unprepared for the one up in the mountains. I was getting extremely bored after about 10 minutes of riding and still not being at my destination then 2 b*****d wolves jumped out from fucking nowhere, absolutely shat my pants. Managed to kill both and take the pelt, but then when I got to my destination and realised I was out of my depth at the mission I lost it.  Way back down I ran into a bear that appeared to be hunting with wolves, until they saw me and the bear came straight for me.  What a panic/thrill it is trying to stab f**k out of a big monstrous bear.

I'm so low on cash and still trying to understand everything I'm meant to be doing, but there's just so much variety in the game. Definitely requires patience though so I understand why some folk might be turned off.

So far I think big valley or the north east up beside Annesburg is the worst for getting attacked by animals. Big valley just seems to be wolf after wolf. Beside annesburg I had a bear, a cougar and two wolves go for me on the one journey [emoji23]

Used to it now, always just have the gun out. What's everyone's preferred gun by the way? The Lancaster repeater is my favourite by a mile.