The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.pollokfc.com/newsfeed/2017/4/20/pollok-v-st-rochs-information-for-supporters

Seems like we are in for a bumper crowd at Pollok and I am sure that everyone will enjoy the game. I am taking the old man on the supporters bus for this one as sometimes there are life experiences that you need to embrace and soak up. I read the notes from the Pollok committee above and notes they requested no Pyrotechnics (I can't help saying that in an Alan Partridge South African accent) and flares! Seems like the reputation of the Candy Young Team have preceded them. [emoji23]

Pragmatism is the anchor of dreams but as I write this I can see a Candy win and how it might be achieved. I can also see other outcomes too and I know which is more likely. I think for the Club tomorrow is an important occasion... having done so much off the park and on it, it is time to step up and go play with the big boys as equals. I hope we leave their fans looking forward to the next time they play us. Play your game, leave the nerves in the dressing room and when the whistle goes it is 11 vs 11. The Candy fans will hold their own, the players can step up and do the same. Hopefully by this time tomorrow the Pollok fans will have experienced the Roch and what would be better than leaving them candyfied as we march on?

Big hearts win big games. Work hard, enjoy the big crowd and the occasion and everything else will come..... but... no matter the result... and come what may... we are the Candy and that can make the world taste good.

Mon the Candy!

MTC[emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

I'll be keeping a keen eye on the score at your game v Pollok today.  Could be an interesting one, and obviously whoever wins, we'll play in the semis!!  How confident are you's in getting a result??

If you are only as good as your last game then we beat them 3-2 pre season. [emoji106] If you are only as good as your last game then our game last Saturday was quite extraordinary and depending on which 10 minute spell you watched we could quite rightly be described as "a thrilling bucanneeeing high tempo attack attack attacking side" or "pure pish". We are either Sugar Candy or Shite Candy. Been like that all season... but..... the league doesn't lie and we are a cracking side on our day. What is giving me hope is that we step up in big games... we beat Cambuslang home and away... we pumped Petershill 4-0 at home and we lost a late late loser against Kilwinning. We could get a result today but Pollok are 1/4 and we are 5/1. The odds are probably about right but 5/1 isn't 100/1.

I never give a short answer do I??? [emoji460]️

Git right intake thum. But as we are heading to the posh south side I'll just add...

Come on the Candy now!

MTC![emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Lok have been disappointing and very inconsistent this season after a fantastic season last year so who knows which version will turn up today.Tony saw what you guys can do in the friendly when you played well and if he doesn't set the team up correctly today you will have every chance today of a result.For many Lok fans the close season and a clear out of the dead wood in the team can't come soon enough.Constant loyalty to poor performers in the team is unfortunately coming back to haunt our backroom.

It's not a case of here and now. I think this was a case of last week and next. Some players lost their place after their half time substitutions last week and were left on the bench. Next week sees 3 league games in 5 days and these are our future, not yesterday. I spoke to an old lad yesterday and he reminded me that the Candy haven't won anything for years and this cup was a chance to do that. I smiled and we chatted some more. I love the positivity of the hungry fan. Prepared to follow their heart when the head says otherwise. I shared hope more than expectation but when the game started, after a bright opening 10 minutes for us it was evident that we were not the better team and to get anything from this game would be a real fight. We weren't helped when the shape went to hell when big Paul Roan took a rib breaker and had to be changed early doors. We reorganised but the adventurous 3 at the back set up requires a few things to work well before it works successfully. Unfortunately for us a few of those things were missing. It would be easy to highlight what we did wrong but you have to put it in context and take an overall view of how we performed. I think we showed in parts that we are a good passing side who try to play, I think we showed we have heart and we didn't crumble when we went 3 down early in the second half. This was due to a combination of us throwing off the shackles and running and passing more freely and Pollok staying in first gear. No shame in getting beaten by a better team and they were. Some stand out players in the busy and crafty 9 and 10 who's movement and link up play was a joy to watch. The wee number 7 was tricky and fleet footed and played well. I did laugh though at the Lok number 2... not the happiest of chaps I suspect and certainly not a fans favourite. A huffy grumpy toys out the pram type to my eyes who attracted some fabulous shouts from the Lok fans near me. As he was denied a foul and lashed out at the unfortunate advertising board, the ref gives him yellow card. This wee precious madam then does that Diego Costa Pish and ignores the ref as he tries to show the card. It's Newlandsfield you play at son not the NouCamplandsfield....Arse hole. One guy next to me shouts "look at that wee fanny. I bet he still lives wae his maw" and another shouted "just break his legs, or at least tear his tights" enough said. This rogue right tosser right back was their only blip as their defenders looked composed and strong and they showed the gulf in divisions. We did however get one back when big B came on and ran onto a long clearance to generate some power with a header to lob their keeper and watch it bounce high into the net. That was enough to set the Crazy Candy Crew into a

10 minute Candy Concert, their Roch Roars rippling across the sun scorched field from the shed opposite. An ample reward for B and the lads who did their best in the face of a difficult classy opponent. I was disappointed in the goals we lost especially the 3rd where had I scored it I would have been rightly congratulated but had I conceded it I would have been sick. In the day of the footballing centre half there are still some basic centre halfy type things all defenders need to do. Attack the ball and head it, know where your man is, don't ever let people across the front of you and be a bit nasty/tough/aggressive in defence. You need to be like that ALL the time or you get punished against good teams. We did and it is a frustration. However I felt that on the whole we gave a good account of ourselves and I shook hands with some of their lads and said we would see them in 2 years... hopefully.

Big Starkie made some excellent saves and we need him on form for what is too come, Stephen Bryson continued his good form with some good interceptions and tackles, in fact, looking at it now most got pass marks and only a couple struggled. I usually wax lyrical on a sunday after the game and let my mind empty and I try to spin a good story out of the event. I don't feel like this today however and I think I know why. I get upset by games we should have won and didn't. This wasn't one of them. It was clear after 15 mins this was going to be a huge ask and I think we probably did as well as we could with the personnel we have. I'm sure I'll be back on form after the big game against the Gow on Monday... then Wednesday's game, then next Saturday. 3 league games that could shape our season and destiny and I think that is in my mind. To be honest I think it was on a few people's mind yesterday and that probably was reflected in the game. Good luck to Pollok in this cup, the better team won for sure and I enjoyed my day. This is what we should aim for and it felt like a busy place, hundreds in the ground and milling about as the lads warmed up before game in the sunshine. An appreciative and educated support, witty in their comments and generous in their praise. A bit of a culture shift or shock as we made our way to the Sunny Soof Side. It was a good template of what and where we want to be and hopefully we get there

Somewhere we will definitely get to is Lesmahagow for a 6.45 KO on Monday. A wee motorway drive to get the blood pumping then a must win game. I'm looking forward to it, more than I was looking forward to yesterday. If man cannot live by bread alone then I'll settle for the bread and butter of the league. The Polloks of this world and the heady heights of higher leagues await like a Narnia through the wardrobe of the next few weeks. Next week is huge. It's not about where you have been it's all about where you want to go and how you set about getting there. This is not as good as it gets and there are better times ahead. The only way is up... Candy.... for you and me now.

Mon the Candy!

MTC[emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

As much as I agree with you I don't think pollok had to work for there first two goals and in fact thought we were poor for 60 mins until a change in personal upfront which finally saw some movement and a bit of creativity in the final third but yesterday was a bonus and the gaffer had to make his selections based on 4 games in 7 days .

Results went our way yesterday so we head to lesmahagow in bouyent mood tomorrow .

Yesterday's game felt like a big clash, more so than most cup ties against lower league opposition. I reckon only Auchinleck and Arthurlie have brought more fans to Newlandsfield this season. St Rochs deserve a lot of credit and they did make a game of it, and still tried to play good football at 3-0 down. That was a better Pollok performance than a few we've had recently and deserved the win, though had to work hard. I'm pleased with the overall performance and some well take goals. Hopefully we can go on to win it. 

A lot of good players on show for the Candy. Guys like Sweeney and Daw should be playing at Superleague level, and I hope to see St Rochs go up as the more clubs with sizeable support and ambition in the Superleague the better. The #23 impressed me a lot as well. You can see why St Rochs have been successful in the league this year. All the best for the rest of the season! 

He isn't giving himself any timescales and if he is back before the end of this season it will be a bonus. No point in trying to get back early and coming in at half pace and perhaps hosting us. The good news is Dom Febers said he will be back tomorrow!! With him back that gives us the option of him sitting and allowing the others to go join in and is a massive plus for us. The cup tied lads will also be back and that gives us a full squad (apart from SL) to pick from. I think we will need it with 3 games in just over 100 hours. It's certainly all about the Candy this week and with Larky and Camby stumbling on Saturday this Triangle

Of Football Love is in our own hands. I'm on the Crazy Candy Brake again tomorrow and will see you all there.

MTC![emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

A 45 bus journey and we arrive at the side of a cliff with a pitch deep int he valley. We exit the bus and descend to below sea level, it is a mountaineers dream this place and as the ski lifts were broken we had to negotiate the steep grass slopes and sleeper stairs. The pitch is as hilly as the sides and everyone heads for the pie stall as the wind swirls and chills. We are met by Staff Nurse Grumpy who tells us there are no pies no tea and no coffee. In fact there is "Nuffin hot cos that guy never turned anything oan. Ahm just here fae ma work." She had a face that wouldn't be thawed even with the oven on full blast. She wasn't happy as about 40 fans in a row went up and asked her for a Pie. This bad luck on the hot food stakes was an omen although we didn't know it yet.

Well hopefully we have used up all our bad luck in front of goal tonight. I can't tell you how many chances we had, hit the bar, the post, fluffed easy chances, cleared off the line, misfiring forwards lose points.. fact. We didn't play bad but Gow battled well with 10 men for 50 mins. Their battling deserved a point perhaps. They could have been 1 up but Starkie made a great save, 2 mins later they hit one straight at him when it looked easier to score. We had a comedy ref also who made some crazy decisions but I think he tried his best. A Fellow Fauldhouse Fan last year once shouted at the ref "ahm no sayin yur a cheat, yer jist fkn shite" and that probably sums it up... refs don't cost teams games. We had enough chances tonight to win our last 5 games already. We go again on Wednesday night against Neilston where a win is not only the target but it is essential. We didn't do bad tonight and with a dice of luck could have won handsomely. My phone died as I was updating the twitter feed... it was just one of those nights. Our luck will change I'm sure. Some good performances today from Kieron Daw and Stephen Bryson who turned in a great defensive display. [emoji106] A special mention from me to Jason McCormick who doesn't usually get any praise (that I have seen!) but when he plays simple, defends and tackles and plays early balls into forwards or the channels he looks a decent player. His best performance for a long time tonight. A lot still to be positive about. We win all our games from now on and we go up. It's simple if you say it fast enough!

Good laugh on the bus as we got to Royston Road lights and Myles has to open the bus door and says "I'll get you round the corner... ahve got to have a pish" as he gets off and runs duck legged to the bushes near the big Roch to rapturous applause and cheering. [emoji256] if any of our forwards had tried to do that tonight I'm sure they would have missed the bushes the way our luck went.

Better times ahead and it is still in our own hands and to be fair you couldn't have asked for more that that at the start of the season. See you all on Wednesday.
Mon the Candy!
MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

A lot of blaming it on the ref last night, but in all honestly we had nobody to blame but ourselves. Spent to much of the 1st half getting caught up in a battle and petty arguments. 

Play the remaining fixtures with the same focus we showed in the last 15~20 mins and they should be OK.

Our worst enemy at times is our own indiscipline. Gotta try and relax and express themselves better, and also keep the heid. 

Totally agree. Fighting for the cause doesn't mean getting into fights. Having fight in your game can be an asset but if you don't control it it becomes a liability. To be fair to the ref he was getting pelters from all sides and just made some calls which one side was going to be upset about. The ref never cost us anything. We had enough play and chances to have put that game to bed and won comfortably but that's the way it goes sometimes. If you are the defending team you call that a backs to the wall Alamo rearguard hard earned point. If you are us it is a missed opportunity to close the gap. It is still in our hands which is a positive....
MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

A nervous performance but we got there in the end and at this stage points make prizes and I will take 12 of the most ugliest points the game has to offer in the next 4 matches

The hard pitch and high bounce wasn't really conducive to good football and fair play to Neilston who played better and put us under more pressure with ten men than they ever did with 11 men but a great three points tonight with the added bonus of Larkhall dropping 2. MTC

I think neilston are a horrible team to watch and like the previous game against them there brand of long ball kick and punt football was putting us under pressure as we gave away far too many needless fouls which gave them the set pieces from which they looked there most dangerous and big starky's save at the end was unbelievable.

Disappointed big Marvin was not playing for them tonight as I was looking forward to giving him stick lol.

When you fall off a horse the best thing to do is get back on it. When you misfire and drop points it is a relief when you line up less than 48 hours later. It was for me but it felt like a continuation of Monday night as we stuttered and spluttered into the wind, struggling to pass with our usual cutting fluidity, the dry bumpy pitch an unbeatable defender. Neilston had some people worried, that was the Prestwick air traffic control who at various times between 645 and 730 reported UFO's in the region of JMcG Park, often lost to us fans in the daze of a late spring setting sun but clearly evident on their radar. It wasn't just low flying aircraft in danger as their long ball game looked a good option as the big 10 hassled and jostled his way through the 45 causing us problems which with good smart defending would have been easy to cope with. As it was a nervy first half came to an end with more candy chances missed and frustration the overriding feeling closely followed by worry. I am sad to report that as I watched I had a feeling that we weren't going to score. We just seem to have gone off the scoring boil at a bad time of the season but I think the curse was broken last night. Half time head shakes and coffee to kick start the heed and the heart. If hope springs eternal then the Candy Fan epitomises it. We come out for the second half and straight away a penalty box skirmish results in the ball breaking to the edge of the box and it being lashed at Aircraft velocity (we had been watching their first half aeronautic passing) and skudded into a defender and out for a corner... so we thought. The ref (a beleaguered and verbally challenged shimmering shaking chap by the end of the game) immediately pointed to the spot and brandished a red card to the headband wearing skin head centre half for a deliberate hand ball preventing a goal. I thought it was harsh at the time and despite twitter clarification (albeit between Candy Fans) last night I am still not convinced. I mean the lad could have earned a card just for the girly ear muffs he was wearing but I think he was unlucky. (*just waiting for some hack to tell me off as the band was covering a serious wound or something![emoji23] if it was then wear a bandage ya big attention seeker. It didn't even match your eyeshadow). At this stage of the season and in recent games luck plays a big part. I thought we were unlucky not to get 3 points away at The Gow on Monday but lucky last night. I think we shaded it and did miss a few chances but so did they, noteably a finger tipped over the bar Starkie special and a thunderous headed on to the bar 6 trader from a corner right on time. They had some decent players with the big 10 a handful and the left footed lad who played centre of a second half back 3 for them was inpressive. We look like we just need a bit of fine tuning and we should be back to our best, big Musa's penalty conversion visibly freeing some of our players who perhaps could have added to the single goal. As it was Nervous Norris the ref stood on the pitch at the final whistle being lambasted by their wee Dug Oot Dunce who had his wooly dunces hat on and off like a bridegroom on his wedding night. We need to accept luck whether it is good or bad and last night we had some shine on us for a change. Neilston probably unlucky not to get a point. I spoke to one of their supporters/player's dad at full time and he promised me they would beat Larkhall on Saturday. Whether they do or they don't what is key is that our destiny is in our hands. I hope we are getting back on form and that we manage to convert some of the chances we are making. Good teams can win when they are not playing well and... when they start playing well.... well, the world (or the league above) is their oyster.

It's onto Johnstone Burgh on saturday and what I hope will be a continuation of our hard work and effort and a continuing slice of luck. We are good enough not to need it but when that powerful old lady smiles on you then soak it up and let her give you everything she has. Because when you take the good with the bad and mix it with your hard work and skill, then the end result is something to behold.

Mon the Candy!

MTC [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Archived