The Candy Shop- St Roch's 2016-17

Kinky Afro

As it stands one team could win that game and still miss out!!! It is all to play for folks.....[emoji1317][emoji256]
I wonder what the crowd will be there? Any guesses? Got to be 500+ again and I think a fair few neutrals will come along too....[emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

It will be Larkhalls biggest crowd for some years I reckon between 500/700

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The magic number is 57 points as it stands for all three teams. Think the elephant in the St Roch's dressing room is the Wishaw game on Saturday. Lose it and you need at least a draw at Larkhall plus beat Greenock at home. We couldn't afford to lose two of our three games based on Larkhall winning the last two games. 

Odd that the Candy crowd seems to have drifted since playing Larkhall Thistle. The hardcore is still as faithful as ever but our lowest crowds of the season have been the last couple of home games. Strange considering the Candy are right up there and going for it in the promotion race.

1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

The magic number is 57 points as it stands for all three teams. Think the elephant in the St Roch's dressing room is the Wishaw game on Saturday. Lose it and you need at least a draw at Larkhall plus beat Greenock at home. We couldn't afford to lose two of our three games based on Larkhall winning the last two games. 

There's no elephant in any room lol

There's no pressure on the Candy. For a team just promoted they've done fantastically well this season. If you offered them this position at the start of the season, they'd have taken it all day long. Whatever happens, this season has been a success on and off the pitch and the support appreciate the hard work done by all. 

Personally, I believe we will go up but there's no pressure on the guys whatsoever. What will be, will be.

There's no elephant in any room lol

There's no pressure on the Candy. For a team just promoted they've done fantastically well this season. If you offered them this position at the start of the season, they'd have taken it all day long. Whatever happens, this season has been a success on and off the pitch and the support appreciate the hard work done by all. 

Personally, I believe we will go up but there's no pressure on the guys whatsoever. What will be, will be.

Are you sure this is right? I thought forth camby and Bens came up from 2nd division.

We come up last season and were 5th then pushed on this year. 

What a buzz tonight, I've seen many cup games at senior level when the fav's batter the opponents and the keeper has a stormer. Well tonight was another, thought collectively they were brave and really stood up for themselves against a 2nd half torrent. If ever a gaffer needs a sign that the players are playing for him he got it tonight. Now to rumble the night away thinking of all the permutations that could see us win the league. 

"Aint nobody like the Candy, makes me happy, makes me feel this way."

We come up last season and were 5th then pushed on this year. 
What a buzz tonight, I've seen many cup games at senior level when the fav's batter the opponents and the keeper has a stormer. Well tonight was another, thought collectively they were brave and really stood up for themselves against a 2nd half torrent. If ever a gaffer needs a sign that the players are playing for him he got it tonight. Now to rumble the night away thinking of all the permutations that could see us win the league. 
"Aint nobody like the Candy, makes me happy, makes me feel this way."

So you's came up to this league 2 seasons ago? As I said last season forth Bens and camby came up. Would fully expect st rochs and cambuslang to be in the position they are considering they have the 2 biggest budgets in the division.

About 10 years ago whilst working in Edinburgh, I was roped into "The Rob Roy Challenge". It involved a run of about 16 miles followed by a cycle 30 miles or so. It went from Drynen, via Callendar, to Kenmore. Beautiful scenery I was assured and "definitely within your capabilities". It took me just over 11 hours and I cried when I finished. I don't think it was the physical exhaustion but my brain was frazzled and I just wanted a cuddle. Events can affect different people in different ways and last night it wasn't hills I ran but a gamut of emotions along with the biggest away support at Rob Roy for a long time. *I was told this by a local reporter I stood in the shed with and who's company and chat I enjoyed. The Candy Fans and especially the Young Team brought a noise and colour and flags and tee shirt and shorts wearing late spring early summer shimmering sunlight shouts of encouragement and support for the second string Candy as we took on our own Rob Roy Challenge. Second string is not an insult to the lads who played but we had recent fringe players starting and young Aedan Houston starting in goal for his first ever big grown up Men's senior debut. A daunting task for one so young you would have thought. As the night ran on we kept going and ploughed on, luck was with us and she is a fine companion when the legs and mind are being challenged. For she keeps your spirits up and the nagging doubts of tired limbs in check, and when a strong tricky skilful foe just never stops, she is the one who gives you belief and promises that if you keep going you might just get across the finishing line intact.....

You will not hear a Candy Fan anywhere who will say we were the better team last night nor one who will not admit we carried good fortune. However, as I say every week, you get nothing in this game (including luck) unless you work hard and battle for your mates and have self discipline and control and have desire and a Big Green Heart [emoji172]. It takes more than being good players to make a good team. We defended well and held our own after a dodgy opening which saw them hit the bar and play some attractive link up free flowing football. Keep your discipline and keep going.... we had a few infrequent forrays without threatening and then it was backs to the wall again...Keep your discipline and keep going..... we didn't dive in, stayed goal side covered each other.. sometimes this isn't enough though when you are playing good players and we were definitely getting the run around. Commitment was high and effort abounded. Sherman smashed into the away dug out and injured himself trying to keep a ball in play, people crashed into tackles and battled in the air, all this in a background of goal line escapes, misfiring, woodwork and a few first half saves from young Aedan. Right on half time a second Candy chance (big Steph missed a lob opportunity when clean through) fell to the Shermanator who shouted Hasta La Vista Baby as he slotted home to give the Candy a welcomed but unexpected 1-0 lead at the break. The Candy fans in the shed, now joined by the Beach Wear YT on account of the dipping sun and falling temperatures, raucously welcomed the whistle, shed banging and chanting and a cry of "Superleague my arse" and "Git it right up these squatters". If you keep your discipline and keep going you always have a chance... 45 minutes to the finishing line and emotions are getting high. The second half is worse for us in terms of territory but...Keep your discipline and keep going...(Repetative? Boring? Good defending often is). I would like to say we defended well and we did at times, but when you face an onslaught and are pinned back against good teams well things can go to the wall. We struggled with corners and free kicks and they hit the bar again and missed the target and it had the look of a gallant show that would inevitably wilt. Keep your discipline and keep going.... the longer the game went on the worse it got for us. We were camped in our own half and rarely escaped into enemy territory. They tried everything but we kept going and held our shape well. John Sweeney was immense and when he plays with control and discipline and holds his midfield anchor role he looks a class above our level. Skip came back in and was outstanding, again he held his shape, didn't dive in, cleared his lines and was strong in the tackle. Good defending looks brilliant to my eye when done right. Jason McC continued his good form, another man benefitting from the old adage of work hard, defend properly and do it simple. But cometh the hour cometh the boy..... Young Aedan in goal made some miracle saves and grew in confidence as the game went on. A fabulous MOTM performance from the son of my terrace buddy and proud dad Brendan. Keepers can make TV saves, the ones that look fabulous to the eye and often attract the greatest plaudits and acclaim. He made a couple of those including one wonder save where he youthfully threw himself up, twisted in mid air and slapped the ball with his fingers and saw it loop straight up and land just behind the bar on top of the net. Even when it went over it still looked like it went in!! What a save.. his best save for me went slightly unnoticed as he shuffled right and then threw out a strong hand to his left to palm away a headed back across him effort showed technique and ability far above his years....and this just seemed to sum up the spirit.. "You'll never beat the Candy" was the cry as we entrenched ourselves and they came storming over the top to be met with a Solid Green Sheild and Hearts [emoji172] and vociferous backing from the Candy Covered Enclosure. Keep your discipline and keep going.... we held our shape and kept battling. It is amazing what you can accomplish when you do that. The final whistle came after the ref gave them 6 extra stoppage minutes to try to equalise, but they didn't. The final whistle greeted by delerious scenes amongst the fans, some not quite believing what they had witnessed. We need that effort and spirit for what lies ahead.. the finishing line and the chance to achieve. Keep your discipline and keep going.... as we walked to the cars and the players were applauded off, last boy off the pitch was young Aedan accompanied by his dad. He was roundly applauded and Brendan's hand was shook. A tear in his eye as he said "I'm getting all emotional, that's my wee boy". The Rob Roy Challenge had been defeated and I for one know that when that happens the tears can flow. And Brendan, he's not a wee boy now. Last night he joined the big men's game... and more than held his own. Be proud my friend, be proud.

Mon the Candy!
MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]IMG_1493895584.953656.jpgIMG_1493895611.204613.jpg

Good luck to St Rochs

Btw wasn't the biggest away support at Cumbernauld for a Rob Roy game, maybe he's a Cumbernauld man reporting or no a regular.

Every fan there last night is technically an away fan are they not?? [emoji23]The Candy fan in the shed calling you "squatters" really did make me chuckle.
A good battling performance liberally peppered with luck (bad teams are never lucky) which should give the players even more confidence leading into the Magic Fortnight ahead. Another clean sheet too... 4 in a row now....

MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

So you's came up to this league 2 seasons ago? As I said last season forth Bens and camby came up. Would fully expect st rochs and cambuslang to be in the position they are considering they have the 2 biggest budgets in the division.

Interesting statement haha!

There are some games that speak for themselves to those involved. You don't really need to think too hard about it as you can feel the excitement gather in you. I can't get to Wishae tomorrow but my thoughts and [emoji172] will be there.

It is a game for bravery and confidence. Don't be scared, as often when you embrace life's challenges you experience the exhilaration of success.
Demand the ball, pass and move, work hard and defend properly. Always always always outwork the opposition and your skill will come to the fore and over run them. Believe in yourself and your abilities, believe and trust in your mates. Trust them enough to give them the ball and be brave and ask for it back. Never ever stop believing in yourselves, you have done it often and will do it again. You are a strong fast and technically gifted team and you fight hard and never ever tap out. Your mind can win you games, believe it, work hard and it will happen.

Good luck to the gaffer and his team and all the players and to all the CandyCrew, have a great day. These are the games and the days you play football for. The next game is always the biggest and this is huge.
Enjoy and soak it up.
Mon the Twitter!
Mon the Candy!
MTC! [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Sickener today huge blow before kick off today losing big carter and Jordan halsom but despite makeshift defence better team 1st 30 mins and went 1 up but poor last 15 saw us lose 2 sloppy goals and go in 2-1 down at h/t second half the same better team get an equaliser with about 15 to go then lose another cheap goal with about 10 mins to goal then good goal from set piece free kick finishes us off .
Still in our own hands 4 pts from last 2 games will see us promoted so now is the time for big hearts and big performances as it's now or never

On my travels I have enjoyed junior football but I must admit I absolutely hate wishaw a horrible club who today once again showed that they don't do common decency.
Clearly they can only lift there game for us hence the league position and the usual sectarian shite from one of there players and one there staff makes you wonder why decent folk even bother there arse going along to support them.
It's a dark day for society and sport in general when a day out in the sun ends with folk having to endure sectarian abuse .

Archived