St Johnstone v Hearts, Betfred League Cup Round of 16, Wed 10 August 2016

PauloPerth

A Cup tie between last season's 3rd and 4th placed teams in the top league for a place in the quarter finals.  Hearts being the seeded team due to getting papped out of Europe by a team of Maltesers, whilst St Johnstone were unseeded due to winning their group comfortably in the first round.

Usually good competitive games between the sides, plenty of goals in last season's encounters with the exception of a 0-0 pumping 10 man Hearts managed to scrape at McD just before Xmas, which saw Steve Maclean become the first man to send a penalty kick into space. A similar tactic might serve the Jambos well here, as our penalty taking has continued to be dreadful, with the exception of Danny Swanson.

We haven't had a big midweek domestic Cup tie at McDiarmid for a few years (that I can remember..?) so it should be a great night with a decent crowd.  No tv cameras will hopefully entice more non-regulars along.

cue Hearts fan to post laughing Mourinho face in 3, 2, 1 .....

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

4-0 St.Johnstone. Hearts 54 year wait for league cup glory to continue.

And still have won it more times than Hibs.

You'll have to show your working here I'm afraid or you won't get full marks.

Prices are agreed between the clubs. So you guys are equally as culpable.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

Prices are agreed between the clubs. So you guys are equally as culpable.

So it's not directly the fault of HMFC. One would assume the onus is on the home side to take the lead in this matter. If they'd originally said £10 for this absolute nothing game I doubt there would have been much protest.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

this absolute nothing game 

I realise that now your team has played in the dizzy heights of the second play off round of the Europa League that everything else must pale into insignificance..

but you do realise that this 'nothing' game represents 50% of your team's chance of a trophy this season (or any other).

TBF considering our own club refused to accept a cut-price admission for ourselves against Brechin, I imagine we demanded at least £18 as the ticket price.

Not looking forward to this after today, another 90 minutes of two teams hoofing the ball between centre halves sounds utterly thrilling. 

In terms of line ups it could go anyway, Liam surely has to drop out but Muzz probably pulled a muscle at some point today so will be ruled out. Maybe see Kane on from the start too.

2-1 to Hearts, Watt to get off the mark and Craig to get it tight for 90 minutes from the 800 away fans who can be arsed travelling.

If Liam Craig plays he's gonna get it tight from the 800 home fans who could be bothered, he was that shite yesterday.

On 8/3/2016 at 16:28, PauloPerth said:

I realise that now your team has played in the dizzy heights of the second play off round of the Europa League that everything else must pale into insignificance..

but you do realise that this 'nothing' game represents 50% of your team's chance of a trophy this season (or any other).

If we get through this round and into the quarters, then I'll have a good deal of interest in this tournament. As it is, it's still early August and it simply feels like a total meh game.

Actually think we'll win this now. Well, quite simply, Neilson has to as another early cup exit going into our game at Pittodrie at the weekend will see him under a tonne of pressure.

Archived