FA Cup 2016/17

Eednud

To recap from yesterday:

From what I can see, the BBC's thing about 2 non-league clubs making the Fifth Round "for the first time" is based on the number - i.e. the Fifth Round - not the Last 16.

When the Football League began in 1888-89 the Last 16 was R2, when the "all-in" stage was the Last 32. That became R3 in 1904-05 ("all-in" at Last 64).

Current format began in 1926-27.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick trivia interlude: until 1933-34 the amateur club Corinthians also joined at R3 :lol:, beside the 44 clubs from tiers 1-2 plus 2 clubs exempted by vote to recognise performance.

(In 1926-27 a pair of tier 2 clubs were also required to start in R1).

From 1933-34 this was changed to 3 exempted clubs. Exact current format began in 1951-52, with a couple of tier 2 clubs starting in R1 between 1991-92 and 1994-95.

If the BBC wanted Lincoln last round, but couldn't get it due to the replay, surely they'll take it this time?

There were fewer stand-out ties last time. They'll want to pick the bigger clubs while covering Sutton for the "Magic of the Cup" angle.

If Sutton had drawn Oxford or someone unglamorous, I've no doubt they'd have picked the Lincoln match. But I doubt they'll bother showing two non-league clubs, though I'll be happy enough if they do.

On 29/01/2017 at 11:59, 7-2 said:

It's an impressive run they're on but I just can't see Lincoln as a non-league club, more a league club that happens not to be in the league at the moment. With the pyramid system and increase of general finances in English football meaning an increase in standard of the top end of non-league, the whole 'non-league club' image is as out dated as the cup's standing. There's probably more full time clubs in the National League than part time.

In the 2010/11 season, (after that banger Chris Sutton went) the Imps appointed Steve Tilson. After a promising start to the season, he was in the local paper telling everyone he'd get Lincoln City out of league 2.

To be fair, he was true to his word. Just a shame it was due to relegation instead of promotion :lol:

Televised fifth-round ties - all times GMT
Saturday 18 February: Burnley v Lincoln City - 12.30, BT Sport; Wolves v Chelsea - 17.30, BT Sport
Sunday 19 February: Fulham v Tottenham - 14.00, BBC One; Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United - 16.15, BT Sport (followed by sixth-round draw)
Monday 20 February: Sutton United v Arsenal - 19:55, BBC One

Archived