FA Cup 2016/17

Eednud

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Not saying you're wrong, but... on the thinking that Cardiff home fans and Fulham travelling fans would make a meaningful difference to viewing figures :unsure2:? EDIT: Also Middlesborough v Sheffield Wednesday went ahead untelevised at 3pm.

Not suggesting they wanted NO clash whatsoever on that day however given that the Cardiff game was a TV pick the FA didn't want two TV games clashing. The FA want folk to tune in to all of their televised matches and not have to choose one over the other which would split the viewing figures.

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

That debacle with the fans handshaking/hugging after their teams are drawn against each other might just be the worst and most tragic thing I have ever seen. 

They've done it for every draw on the One Show. It is, like you say, utterly tragic.

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Not saying you're wrong, but... on the thinking that Cardiff home fans and Fulham travelling fans would make a meaningful difference to viewing figures :unsure2:?

EDIT: Also Middlesborough v Sheffield Wednesday and Chelsea v Peterborough went ahead untelevised at 3pm.

Chelsea played the day before. That may explain it being the Sunday but not the midday kick-off.

The Hull game was presumably on Sunday as they played on Thursday night.

The magic of the FA Cup 2017 - 2 non-league teams having the times of their lives, a great chance to get to the quarter finals if they drew each other or maybe Oxford at home, more history made, more publicity, more income, more piss ups along the way...fans asked who they want next, including a 10 year old, and they say Man United away for the money. That's even sadder than the handshakes.

People who think Rod Stewart is embarrassing should watch the big country's draw where they have their draw on an old woman's show and have fans of each team shake hands and hug once they draw each other.

Give me a 70+ year old pished oot his nut any day.

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

Are Sutton allowed to switch to play away? I hope not.

All there previous cup games have been there so i dont see why they should switch it,but it depends on how much wenger has to say about the plastic pitch :lol:

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Are Sutton allowed to switch to play away? I hope not.

I'm sure they can't reverse it, and I cannot recall an example of a club switching to a neutral venue like Albion Rovers keep doing up here. I think it's regarded as taboo in the FA Cup.

7 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

The magic of the FA Cup 2017 - 2 non-league teams having the times of their lives, a great chance to get to the quarter finals if they drew each other or maybe Oxford at home, more history made, more publicity, more income, more piss ups along the way...fans asked who they want next, including a 10 year old, and they say Man United away for the money. That's even sadder than the handshakes.

Thought that myself. On TV whatever, and could actually have a chance of reaching QFs and being 1 tie from Wembley. Instead your priority is the payday (not even the experience).

I suppose it's because we've got lots of them up here right up to Scottish Premiership level, whereas they're still not allowed in EPL and EFL and uncommon below it - but I tire of this inevitable concentration on some non-league team having a plastic pitch. They mentioned it almost every time they cut to Sutton on the radio on Sunday, and it was the same for one of the clubs last season (Maidstone possibly?). Clubs train on them all the time, play in European matches, and so on. You'd think it was playing in low gravity or night-vision goggles.

Sutton should play at home against Arsenal, I understand why clubs switch to bigger grounds for these types of games, but they completely kill their own chances by doing so.

You used to be able to sell-up the tie to your opponent for money or favours... It may not even be explicitly forbidden today, but would obviously be frowned upon and fall foul of other more general rules! Effectively "selling" home advantage also happened and was probably more common.

In 1935-36 Berwick were drawn away to Celtic in R1; but the tie, along with many others, was postponed due to a frozen pitch. Celtic wanted to play it midweek, to avoid cancelling a league game against Hearts the following weekend but Berwick - remember we were non-league at the time with part-time players - didn't want to come through on a weekday afternoon and could have insisted on the Saturday (as Vale Ocoba did despite Hibs protestations)... Celtic made a financial offer and the promise of a friendly and Berwick scratched. It hadn't happened for some time and caused considerable furore.

1936022601.jpg

1936031102.jpg

Archived