Oliver Burke

Contra

10 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Ndong to Sunderland for £13m, Jeff Hendrick to Burnley for £10.5m...
Just to remind us not to get carried away by Burke's transfer fee.

Was Jeff Hendrick the hipster-haired Irish guy who looked utterly out of his depth in the summer there?  (Not that that narrows it down much).  

I wouldn't say he was out of his depth at Euros but it wasn't hard to look good in a terrible Ireland team either was it? He is a good player but is he worth 10.5 M and is he better than, for comparison sakes, than some of the Scottish Midfielders? I don't think so.

11 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

imo id say the EPL teams pay around 15-25% more for a player than other european clubs would need to,

Yeah I'd agree - at least a 25% premium. Still, shows that there are plenty of players going for that kind of fee and it alone isn't a hallmark of greatness.

Heard a bit of Talksport this morning and Brazil described David Luis's £30m transfer as 'hardly a king's ransom'. I know it's all relative but it's still f'ing bonkers!

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hendrick had a good Euros I thought. Certainly didn't look out of his depth. Good player.

We'll agree to disagree then.

Back on topic, I just saw an SFA puff piece with Burke.  He's very well spoken for a young football player from this country.  I'm slightly less surprised at the direction his career has taken this week than I was.  Seems very level headed.

37 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

We'll agree to disagree then.

Back on topic, I just saw an SFA puff piece with Burke.  He's very well spoken for a young football player from this country.  I'm slightly less surprised at the direction his career has taken this week than I was.  Seems very level headed.

The interview reminded me of Jordan Rhodes; well spoken and seems to not be a complete roaster like some of his peers.

The third best British player in the world right now in my opinion, right behind Bale and Ramsey. Moving to Germany is a good move. Puts him on Bayern's radar, they'll be sniffing around him as a replacement for Robben and Ribery when they've retired. 

With Burke, and Gauld tearing it up in Portugal, we'll win this group with ease. 

I really hope England don't steal him. I mean, what with their history of stealing our players. Disgusting. 

Bantz

Jermaine Jenas wrote a piece for yahoo concerning Burke's transfer. Basically a lot of shite about his agent has fucked him over, nobody has even heard of RB Leipzig, should have moved to EPL blah blah. 

One of the things that sets Burke apart from other Scottish players is he appears to be intelligent when interviewed. I wouldn't be surprised if he fulfils his potential. 

17 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

Jermaine Jenas wrote a piece for yahoo concerning Burke's transfer. Basically a lot of shite about his agent has fucked him over, nobody has even heard of RB Leipzig, should have moved to EPL blah blah. 

One of the things that sets Burke apart from other Scottish players is he appears to be intelligent when interviewed. I wouldn't be surprised if he fulfils his potential. 

I just read that Jenas piece, fucking hell, how did he get a job writing columns? He makes accusations and then immediately follows it up with "that's not an accusation" about 3 different times. English pundit's genuinely can't accept that some people view their league as a basketcase.

I just read that Jenas piece, fucking hell, how did he get a job writing columns? He makes accusations and then immediately follows it up with "that's not an accusation" about 3 different times. English pundit's genuinely can't accept that some people view their league as a basketcase.

Isn't just them....saw the EFL chairman on ssn delighted at how much money championship sides had spent cos it raised profile of the league. No mention of sustainability living within means etc.

4 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Isn't just them....saw the EFL chairman on ssn delighted at how much money championship sides had spent cos it raised profile of the league. No mention of sustainability living within means etc.

Sounds eerily familiar doesn't it.

47 minutes ago, troopio said:

Read Jenas article, seems quite bitter which is a shame as I have found Jenas to be one of the more sensible pundits in recent times.

Yeah I usually find him to be articulate and he talks about the game reasonably well. 

Column

So, basically:

• there's no point moving to Germany unless it's to Bayern Munich
  • actually, there's no point moving away from England unless it's to one of the big three, basically
  • I've never heard of Leipzig therefore it's a bad move
  • there must be something dodgy afoot if a young, promising player has chosen to move away from England

What a narrow-minded, England-centirc view of the game.

I hope the people surrounding him know something I don't about this move

Probably wouldn't be difficult given that you appear to be a bit thick.

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

How much do Championship clubs get per season, roughly? I know it won't be the £60m or whatever EPL clubs get but I'm guessing it's still a fair whack.

How much do Championship clubs get per season, roughly? I know it won't be the £60m or whatever EPL clubs get but I'm guessing it's still a fair whack.

Not sure I'm sure someone posted a while back pretty frightening debt levels for the championship. The clubs in England are gambling that the domestic and international tv companies are too big to fail. History shows there's no such thing as a company too big to fail and there's always the fact that the digital market is constantly evolving. If the bubble bursts it will be carnage

Jenas is just some embittered EPL fanboy who can't get his head round the fact that it's not seen as the holy grail for all players everywhere.

This might work out for Burke and it could be the stepping stone to a big European club and the Champions League. Or it might not and he could be back in the English Championship within a couple of years.

No way of telling right now obviously, just need to wait and see.