Oliver Burke

Contra

You can't just buy three or four players and pay them massive wages while maintaining the rest of the squad on wages of jobbers.  The other players would want pay rises and if you tried to buy any player, outside of the expensive superstars, they would demand higher wages.

The only way a team could challange the Old Firm is if some insane billionaire blew his wedge on buying superstars to play in Scotland and made up the massive shortfall, kind of a Roy McGregor on steroids, or if a team built up a competitive squad with a good manager over several years and then got lucky with a weak Celtic team and a season where everything went right for them.  Kind of like Leicester City did last season - they had a settled, solid team, got pretty lucky with injuries to key players and also lucked out that big money sides like Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd had stinkers or transitional seasons.

I think the best opportunity for a team to do this was Aberdeen over the last couple of years and they didn't manage it.  Maybe if Celtic hadn't had Leigh Griffiths then they could've done it but obviously they did.  

Scott Sinclair must be the highest paid player in Scotland I'd say. Apparently was on 70k a week at Man City. I'd imagine around 30ish

I would have thought Kolo Toure was the highest paid player, although I wouldn't be surprised if him, Sinclair and Scott Brown are on fairly similar wages.

Burke isn't getting a great deal of game time because, whilst Hasenhuttl rates his ability and physical attributes, he doesn't feel that his tactical discipline is there yet. And for a team that plays a high pressing game, that's a pretty key part of an attackers game.

Also, it'd be harsh to drop any of Poulsen, Werner, Forsberg or Sabitzer from the starting XI as they're all in good form at present and Leipzig went joint top of the league yesterday. Very much a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

29 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Plus, the guy IS getting a decent amount of game time and being reasonably effective in a top league. I don't see much of an issue. He's a young guy and has time to improve

Exactly. 10 or 20 mins or so each game is ideal for a young player to find his feet in a top-class league. That he's trusted to play a part in their excellent run shows he's very much part of their plans. I expect it'll be injury or a dip in results that'll bag him his next start - or maybe the manager will opt to rest one of his regulars.

Nothing to worry about here at all IMO. This is one of the few plusses we have at the moment!

cant see a red bull Livingston happening at all. like has been said you would need to spend in the 10s of millions which although they do have the cash, they would want a return on their investment , which in Scotland means champions league last 16 , plus other domestic trophys. highly unlikely for any team to do that without spending way over the odds to get there. in Germany and Austria domestic prize money is just that bit better along with a higher fanbase to sell the product to.

cant see a red bull Livingston happening at all. like has been said you would need to spend in the 10s of millions which although they do have the cash, they would want a return on their investment , which in Scotland means champions league last 16 , plus other domestic trophys. highly unlikely for any team to do that without spending way over the odds to get there. in Germany and Austria domestic prize money is just that bit better along with a higher fanbase to sell the product to.

You're most probably right... Unless red bull saw Scottish football as a 'trophy' acquisition (I.e. worth making a loss on the balance sheet in return for the kudos of being the backers of the team that finally broke the old firm dominance).
Other than that we'll probably only see mavericks and chancers like brooks mileson and Vlad Romanov, coming in, spunking a lot of money but not enough then it all going to shit

You're most probably right... Unless red bull saw Scottish football as a 'trophy' acquisition (I.e. worth making a loss on the balance sheet in return for the kudos of being the backers of the team that finally broke the old firm dominance).
Other than that we'll probably only see mavericks and chancers like brooks mileson and Vlad Romanov, coming in, spunking a lot of money but not enough then it all going to shit

By all accounts they've chosen Switzerland and Germany based on the fact they wanted to end dominances of clubs. It would be a massive shock if they created a club here. Biggest problem is the lack of potential fanbase

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

By all accounts they've chosen Switzerland and Germany based on the fact they wanted to end dominances of clubs. It would be a massive shock if they created a club here. Biggest problem is the lack of potential fanbase

This 100% nailed on , the city of Leipzig from what I can recall hadn't had a bundesliga side for a decent period of time and it's a very well populated city with in the region of just under 600'000 people. A massive fan base to be tapped into if they could provide a team which is exciting and well funded to make a charge in the top division. Same can be said for Salzburg and also the NYRB as well with city's with huge populations the potential fan base is a huge draw for RB. Only clubs that would be worth a punt would probs be Aberdeen , hearts or hibs. But personally don't think they would see the Scottish league as prestigious enough to plough vast amounts of money into.

12 hours ago, Disco30 said:

This 100% nailed on , the city of Leipzig from what I can recall hadn't had a bundesliga side for a decent period of time and it's a very well populated city with in the region of just under 600'000 people. A massive fan base to be tapped into if they could provide a team which is exciting and well funded to make a charge in the top division. Same can be said for Salzburg and also the NYRB as well with city's with huge populations the potential fan base is a huge draw for RB. Only clubs that would be worth a punt would probs be Aberdeen , hearts or hibs. But personally don't think they would see the Scottish league as prestigious enough to plough vast amounts of money into.

This is why I have no problem with Red Bull here. The old East German city teams are way behind the West teams economically, so it's quite funny watching West German football fans complain about a team from the east having a financial advantage.

It would be good if someone came in with the same backing for Dresden.

Edited by thisal

I don't see what the problem is. Team names often tell a story about how a club was formed and reflect the circumstances of the times. We live in an era of unfettered capitalism so it seems entirely appropriate that a new team name should include a multinational corporation.

Question is, would you be happy if Red Bull bought over your club and changed the name in exchange for trophy success?  

20 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Plus, the guy IS getting a decent amount of game time and being reasonably effective in a top league. I don't see much of an issue. He's a young guy and has time to improve.

19 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Exactly. 10 or 20 mins or so each game is ideal for a young player to find his feet in a top-class league. That he's trusted to play a part in their excellent run shows he's very much part of their plans. I expect it'll be injury or a dip in results that'll bag him his next start - or maybe the manager will opt to rest one of his regulars.

Nothing to worry about here at all IMO. This is one of the few plusses we have at the moment!

Totally agree. By 'not getting a great deal of game time' I meant in terms of what certain sections of our support and the media expect someone to be playing for them to get starts for the national side i.e. starting every week. Which, given his age and the club he's at, is totally unrealistic. I'm fine with how he's progressing and think he's one of our best chances of getting a result on Friday.

12 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Totally agree. By 'not getting a great deal of game time' I meant in terms of what certain sections of our support and the media expect someone to be playing for them to get starts for the national side i.e. starting every week. Which, given his age and the club he's at, is totally unrealistic. I'm fine with how he's progressing and think he's one of our best chances of getting a result on Friday.

I think most aren't delighted when a player doesn't get much game time at a relatively poor side, the boys trying to break into a side that are currently at a far better level than any English Championship or Scottish Premiership team.

I don't see what the problem is. Team names often tell a story about how a club was formed and reflect the circumstances of the times. We live in an era of unfettered capitalism so it seems entirely appropriate that a new team name should include a multinational corporation.

Question is, would you be happy if Red Bull bought over your club and changed the name in exchange for trophy success?  

Yes

2 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I think most aren't delighted when a player doesn't get much game time at a relatively poor side, the boys trying to break into a side that are currently at a far better level than any English Championship or Scottish Premiership team.

They'd give most Premier League sides a game as well tbf.

On 07/11/2016 at 11:06, ICTChris said:

You can't just buy three or four players and pay them massive wages while maintaining the rest of the squad on wages of jobbers.  The other players would want pay rises and if you tried to buy any player, outside of the expensive superstars, they would demand higher wages.

The only way a team could challange the Old Firm is if some insane billionaire blew his wedge on buying superstars to play in Scotland and made up the massive shortfall, kind of a Roy McGregor on steroids, or if a team built up a competitive squad with a good manager over several years and then got lucky with a weak Celtic team and a season where everything went right for them.  Kind of like Leicester City did last season - they had a settled, solid team, got pretty lucky with injuries to key players and also lucked out that big money sides like Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd had stinkers or transitional seasons.

I think the best opportunity for a team to do this was Aberdeen over the last couple of years and they didn't manage it.  Maybe if Celtic hadn't had Leigh Griffiths then they could've done it but obviously they did.  

If you wanted to become the New Celtic or Rangers then I'd agree with other people that you'd have to pour a huge amount of money into a black hole at a team like Hearts or Aberdeen.

To win the league though you wouldn't necessarily need players as good as the ones that Celtic have. As we (almost) showed in the last two years, if you've got a team good enough to regularly beat everybody else, that takes you an awful long way. Atletico Madrid's success has been based on the same thing.