Oliver Burke

Contra

• 4 months later...

I notice Burke(r King) started up front for Alaves yesterday. Not sure if it's an experiment/injury cover or a longer term switch of position.

Interesting that Rodgers, Clarke and now his manager in Spain have all tried this.

Exasperated by his lack of effectiveness on the wing maybe?

Anyway, good to see he's getting starts there regardless.

He has been alright for Alaves I think, played fairly well last night again but should have really scored with a header.

Think it's been pretty well covered - good athlete but lacking in footballing ability. 

3 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I notice Burke(r King) started up front for Alaves yesterday. Not sure if it's an experiment/injury cover or a longer term switch of position.

Interesting that Rodgers, Clarke and now his manager in Spain have all tried this.

Exasperated by his lack of effectiveness on the wing maybe?

Anyway, good to see he's getting starts there regardless.

How did he play?

good athlete but lacking in footballing ability. 

I think that's going to define him. What'd be great is if he could find a way/position/approach to capitalise on his strengths and maybe be our Josh Magennis/David Healy. He doesn't need to be a complete forward (and never will be).

He's got pace to burn. He's a bit of a unit too, but I've not seen him bully defenders enough.
If he could improve that aspect he could be like a jet-heeled Lyndon Dykes for us [emoji6]

I didn't nah. How did he look?
Didn't watch it either m9, so couldn't give you any more detail than you'd find in the match report.

But getting back to my original point, it does make you wonder why Burke seems to gravitate to that centre forward position. Is it lack of competence on the wing or some glimmer of potential up front?

From what I've watched of him before now, he - unfortunately - looks quite limited in both positions. It'd be good to get an insight into the thinking of his last few managers.

He only played up top last night as Lucas Perez was out for Alaves. Other times I've seen him for them (tbf only a couple), he was out wide.

He actually did fairly well last night and caused Savic/Gimenez a few problems but didn't seem to be able to being others into play. As I said earlier, probably should've scored as well. 

I think he looks better than a couple of years ago and another season in Spain would probably do him good. 

• 2 weeks later...

Burke started and played the full 90 Vs Real Madrid last night. Real unsurprisingly won, but when I browsed through the BBC match commentary I was pleasantly surprised to find this:

"Real Madrid 1-0 Alaves

Good chance again for Alaves and it's Oliver Burke doing the damage! He nutmegs Eder Militao and cuts it back but Joselu, on the stretch, can't get it on control.

Burke is having a great game. He's still a West Brom player, officially."

Is he finally starting to realise his potential?

29 minutes ago, charger29 said:

This is the chance mentioned.
https://streamable.com/lkkzog

Not sure how long his contract is at West Brom but hopefully he gets another chance at Alaves next season (assuming they keep giving him regular minutes). Don't think he'll improve much but he's a decent shout for the last 20mins against a tiring opposition.

Just about ran the ball out the park then misplaced a simple 10 yard pass

15 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

He's the kind of player that Arsene Wenger would have loved to sign. Young, fast, great athlete. Then turn them into an actual footballer.

Sadly he's not been able to become even a half decent player.

I still think his role is coming on in last 20mins when games are stretched

15 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

He's the kind of player that Arsene Wenger would have loved to sign. Young, fast, great athlete. Then turn them into an actual footballer.

Sadly he's not been able to become even a half decent player.

Was that not the plan when Leipzig signed him?

Sure one of their coaches made a comment that virtually said the tried to teach him the game but he never took any of it in, so hes unlikely to ever be near the player he could've been.

2 hours ago, charger29 said:

This is the chance mentioned.
https://streamable.com/lkkzog

Not sure how long his contract is at West Brom but hopefully he gets another chance at Alaves next season (assuming they keep giving him regular minutes). Don't think he'll improve much but he's a decent shout for the last 20mins against a tiring opposition.

Have just seen above and yes... agree

Not sure how long his contract is at West Brom but hopefully he gets another chance at Alaves next season (assuming they keep giving him regular minutes).

He has another 3 years but Billic has been vocal in the fact he wants to move him on next season, whether that be permanently or on loan. He’s been a huge disappointment at The Hawthorns and is regarded as our worst signing ever by many.

Just about ran the ball out the park then misplaced a simple 10 yard pass
"Just about" ran the ball out of the park? Jeezo, fair dos criticising a player if he *did* run the ball out of the park but he didn't - he used his pace, nutmegged his man and got a ball to his striker.

Why are you so desperate to find the negative here?