Oliver Burke

Contra

On 08/01/2021 at 22:04, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Maybe not as much as you'd think. Andy Robertson was let go by Celtic for being too small, I think Hickey was too. How fucking stupid do they look now?

Not much tbh. Robertson ended up signing for a club an ‘amateur’ club so he was pretty much missed by every other club going. Also Hickey turned down a contract to sign for Hearts instead which is why we got a slice of his fee.

Edited by gannonball

31 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Not much tbh. Robertson ended up signing for a club an ‘amateur’ club so he was pretty much missed by every other club going. Also Hickey turned down a contract to sign for Hearts instead which is why we got a slice of his fee.

They still let go a guy at 16 who by 24 was regarded as probably the best in the world in his position. Shocking levels of ineptitude that should obviously cost whoever's decision that was their job.

Just now, gannonball said:

No your right, celtic look brilliant for letting go of Robertson. They should be commended for their judgement.

6 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

They still let go a guy at 16 who by 24 was regarded as probably the best in the world in his position. Shocking levels of ineptitude that should obviously cost whoever's decision that was their job.

As mentioned, nobody at any professional club in Scotland, or anywhere else, felt like offering him a contract when we released him. Literally nobody predicted where he would end up. Fair fucks to the guy but he was clearly a very very late developer and then absolutely soared.

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

No your right, celtic look brilliant for letting go of Robertson. They should be commended for their judgement.

Well no, absolutely nobody said that or have even insinuated it, a very strange thing to be coming out with tbh.

25 minutes ago, gannonball said:

As mentioned, nobody at any professional club in Scotland, or anywhere else, felt like offering him a contract when we released him. Literally nobody predicted where he would end up. Fair fucks to the guy but he was clearly a very very late developer and then absolutely soared.

Well no, absolutely nobody said that or have even insinuated it, a very strange thing to be coming out with tbh.

Nah that's pish, you have no idea what he was offered or by whom, you're just like so many Celtic fans I've encountered its like a cult, you can't accept Celtic are ever in any way fallible on any subject. They clearly made an absolute howler letting go a guy who is now worth more than their entire squad, you can try and talk round it all you want but those are the facts of the matter.

15 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Well you said celtic don't look stupid for letting Robertson go, so how do they look? 

I get your a celtic fan, im not digging out celtic here. There's plenty of other teams with examples of letting young players go, who then go on to be brilliant.

Lots of stupid decisions have been made by football teams. That undoubtedly is one of them.

The fact that some other teams who may or may not have ever seen the guy play didn't offer him anything. Doesn't change the fact that celtic made a stupid decision to get rid of him. He was their player after all.

14 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Well you said celtic don't look stupid for letting Robertson go, so how do they look? 

I get your a celtic fan, im not digging out celtic here. There's plenty of other teams with examples of letting young players go, who then go on to be brilliant.

Lots of stupid decisions have been made by football teams. That undoubtedly is one of them.

The fact that some other teams who may or may not have ever seen the guy play didn't offer him anything. Doesn't change the fact that celtic made a stupid decision to get rid of him. He was their player after all.

Aye, and they're seeing him virtually every day, he obviously had it, and they couldn't see it.  Massive howler that should have caused serious questions to be asked.  

Can you imagine that conversation btw, so why did you decide to let Champion's League winning World Club Cup winning European Super Cup winning and English Premiership winning Scotland captain Andy Robertson go?  We thought he was too small boss.  You're fired, clear your desk and get off the premises.

That would be how it should go.

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Nah that's pish, you have no idea what he was offered or by whom, you're just like so many Celtic fans I've encountered its like a cult, you can't accept Celtic are ever in any way fallible on any subject. They clearly made an absolute howler letting go a guy who is now worth more than their entire squad, you can try and talk round it all you want but those are the facts of the matter.

I do, a quick google shows this. He didnt have clubs interested in him untill he broke in to the queens park first team

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.goal.com/en-gb/amp/news/andy-robertsons-journey-from-scottish-amateur-football-to/hscw6syxwymp1vd53t5yvoysi

Celtic obviously missed out but if he walked straight away in to another professional team hitting the ground running then you would be questioning your youth recruitment but only true roasters like yourself would insinuate sacking someone over it. They  sold a player they developed in the same position  not that many years later for a record fee.

25 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I literally listed the reasons why they didn’t in the same post I quoted you in. Its not a case of looking stupid or ‘brilliant’ as you said.

20 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I do, a quick google shows this. He didnt have clubs interested in him untill he broke in to the queens park first team

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.goal.com/en-gb/amp/news/andy-robertsons-journey-from-scottish-amateur-football-to/hscw6syxwymp1vd53t5yvoysi

Celtic obviously missed out but if he walked straight away in to another professional team hitting the ground running then you would be questioning your youth recruitment but only true roasters like yourself would insinuate sacking someone over it. They  sold a player they developed in the same position  not that many years later for a record fee.

I literally listed the reasons why they didn’t in the same post I quoted you in. Its not a case of looking stupid or ‘brilliant’ as you said.

He did mate, Queen's Park are a professional team they play in the pro leagues always have just retained amatuer status until recently. 

You can't just admit it was a mistake, they didn't 'lose out' it wasn't unlucky, they took out their gun and pistol whipped themselves in the face.  It was stupid, obviously wrong, and clearly requires serious questions to be asked.

7 hours ago, gannonball said:

It is a case of looking stupid.

You had one reason, that other teams never offered him a contract.

I literally countered the only point you made. The other teams didn't see him day after day. He wasn't their young player. He was celtics.

The fact you can't admit the decision to let Andy Robertson go on a free was a stupid decision is absolutely bizarre.

12 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

He did mate, Queen's Park are a professional team they play in the pro leagues always have just retained amatuer status until recently. 

You can't just admit it was a mistake, they didn't 'lose out' it wasn't unlucky, they took out their gun and pistol whipped themselves in the face.  It was stupid, obviously wrong, and clearly requires serious questions to be asked.

You know this how? The quotes from the article from say otherwise.  And yes it was a mistake, but thats not what I was debating about , you were insinuating somebody should have been sacked over it.

4 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

It is a case of looking stupid.

You had one reason, that other teams never offered him a contract.

I literally countered the only point you made. The other teams didn't see him day after day. He wasn't their young player. He was celtics.

The fact you can't admit the decision to let Andy Robertson go on a free was a stupid decision is absolutely bizarre.

You can make the wrong decision without it being stupid. Celtic seem to be making stupid decisions every day now it seems but I wouldn’t classify this as one of them given every other professional club in the land didn’t feel like offering him a professional contract either.

Anyway I think this is going round in circles.

Edited by gannonball

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

You know this how? The quotes from the article from say otherwise.  And yes it was a mistake, but thats not what I was debating about , you were insinuating somebody should have been sacked over it.

You can make the wrong decision without it being stupid. Celtic seem to be making stupid decisions every day now it seems but I wouldn’t classify this as one of them given every other professional club in the land didn’t feel like offering him a professional contract either.

Anyway I think this is going round in circles.

Queens Park offered him a contract immediately

Your argument is letting go of the best LB in the world wasn't stupid.  Evidently it was incredibly stupid.  And obviously should cost someone their job, given their job is literally to be able to spot potential, and they had the most potential on earth right in front of them every day and couldn't see it.  

Does anyone actually believe the released for being too small stories that are so very common? Surely that is not an actual thing? I would happily wager that, although there are perhaps a few troglodytes left out there that do it, the majority of players released for being too small are told that to avoid a difficult conversation only.

You are being released for being bad at football, you will never be a professional is a difficult conversation to have especially with a child. You are being released for being too small, grow a bit and you might make it is an easy conversation to have. People will intrinsically choose the easy conversation.

4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Queens Park offered him a contract immediately

Your argument is letting go of the best LB in the world wasn't stupid.  Evidently it was incredibly stupid.  And obviously should cost someone their job, given their job is literally to be able to spot potential, and they had the most potential on earth right in front of them every day and couldn't see it.  

He wasn’t under any proper contract otherwise they would have been entitled to compensation when Utd signed a couple of QP Players. Utd decided to give them a future cut as a good will gesture.
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13172018.300k-robertson-boost-a-cut-above-for-queens-park/

1 minute ago, albagubrath said:

Does anyone actually believe the released for being too small stories that are so very common?

I take these stories with a pinch of salt. Tierney was very slight and unfit with injuries in his younger years so based on that he would be binned also. It will be one a number of reasons but everybody just seems to cite that.

15 minutes ago, albagubrath said:

Does anyone actually believe the released for being too small stories that are so very common? Surely that is not an actual thing? I would happily wager that, although there are perhaps a few troglodytes left out there that do it, the majority of players released for being too small are told that to avoid a difficult conversation only.

You are being released for being bad at football, you will never be a professional is a difficult conversation to have especially with a child. You are being released for being too small, grow a bit and you might make it is an easy conversation to have. People will intrinsically choose the easy conversation.

Maybe sometimes but there is also a too small angle.  Its incredibly common for academies in England looking at a player to ask how tall his dad is for example. And even then, whether it was for being too small or not, Robertson clearly wasn't bad at football and did make it as a pro, so they were clearly wrong.

10 minutes ago, gannonball said:

He wasn’t under any proper contract otherwise they would have been entitled to compensation when Utd signed a couple of QP Players. Utd decided to give them a future cut as a good will gesture.
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13172018.300k-robertson-boost-a-cut-above-for-queens-park/

I take these stories with a pinch of salt. Tierney was very slight and unfit with injuries in his younger years so based on that he would be binned also. It will be one a number of reasons but everybody just seems to cite that.

Nah that's shite mate, its cause they were an amatuer club.