Heart of Midlothian v Inverness Caledonian Thistle, 20/08/2016

One positive from the abomination that was Saturday was the steak pie at Tynecastle which is the best one I have had so far this season.

Might start a blog about pies I've had at the football...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One positive from the abomination that was Saturday was the steak pie at Tynecastle which is the best one I have had so far this season.

Might start a blog about pies I've had at the football...

[emoji23][emoji23]agreed had two myself!

Nah it wasn't much of one anyway. Fifespud just seems to be angry all the time and just hates everything.

Far from being angry I'm absolutely delighted, in fact in a state of Zen, all brought on by your horrific start to the season and your 'Tommy Craig' type managerial appointment. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Far from being angry I'm absolutely delighted, in fact in a state of Zen, all brought on by your horrific start to the season and your 'Tommy Craig' type managerial appointment. Thank you.

Aw, that's good. I'm happy for you :)

It was a strange match.  Foran promised to change the style but the game was actually reminiscent in ways of the worst times under Hughes - we passed the ball at times well in midfield but didn't advance, didn't go forward and ended up hitting long balls towards Boden and Mulreany to no avail whatsoever.  That was something we did a lot in fallow periods in the last few seasons but at the weekend we combined it with utter disorganisation at the back.  Hearts' goals were well worked but we didn't put enough pressure on them, we weren't tight enough and our midfield didn't contribute anything in terms of tracking men or helping the defence.  If Hearts get balls into a player like Sammon then it's going to be difficult to deal with him laying it off or in the air but the fact that they easily got balls into him and then the runners weren't picked up is unforgivable.  And it's not as though we are missing anyone - this is our first choice back four.  

We are also extremely weak going forward.  Our main threat seems to be Mulreany on the wing but he's a kid, totally inexperienced and it shows  His stupid dive in the first half was utterly brainless and he deserved his yellow for it.  He takes the wrong option all the time and physically he needs to develop.  Yet on Saturday we were reliant on him for anything attacking wise.  Boden looks like a player with zero confidence, he had two chances in the first half, one bobbled into the keeper and the other skied.  He looks totally ineffectual.  Fisher did better when he came on, which has been the case a few times but I'm not sure how much quality he has to go with his work ethic and physicality.  Polworth on the left was simply filling a space on the pitch and offered nothing.  Vigurs has, following promise in the league cup group matches, become more Vigurs-esque than ever with absolutely nothing coming from him.  If we want to play someone in the attacking midfield role, I'd rather have Doran there as Vigurs isn't doign it at the moment.

We are clearly lacking something, we've looked so, so flat in the games I've seen us in (three of four since the start of the league) so far.  We've been told that we have a couple of players coming in for a few weeks but nothings come of it and now El Alagui doesn't get a deal and we apparently have Gunning on trial?  I hope there's a plan there because we are seriously lacking.  Regarding Foran, it was always going to be a learning experience for him but, as I said on the other thread, this looked a perfect team for him to take over - experienced spine, keeping the backroom staff from the previous regime.  There's something far wrong with us defensively though, hopefully the result on Saturday causes a reaction this weekend but I can see us starting the season with six straight defeats.

Archived