The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

16 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Amazing to see all the randoms who have never posted in the ek forum on to gloat .

I

Probably proportional to the number of times MK has appeared in national media making an absolute tit of himself.

46 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

What do I get by making it up? I don’t have anything to back it up other than I was present at an SJFA meeting where Stewart Regan said it. . UEFA threatened financial penalties for nations that didn’t have pyramid structures. You can believe it or not I don’t really care!

if the weren’t dragged kicking and screaming why did the SPFL agree to the playoff? 

I was at more than one meeting where Stewart Regan spoke and this was never mentioned as an issue.  It played no part in the SPFL clubs decision.  The reality was that the SPFL didn’t actually exist at this point - the pyramid was a Stewart Regan initiative and a makeweight issue which was vastly overshadowed in negotiations which involved SFL and SPL clubs striking a bargain which saw a much greater level of funding going to the ‘30’ clubs outwith the Premier.  That plus the reunification of the ‘42’ after the Rangers Armageddon was the driving force behind the agreement which included the play off concession which Stewart Regan pursued as part of his own vision - not some vague threat that may or may not have existed from UEFA.  

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I was at more than one meeting where Stewart Regan spoke and this was never mentioned as an issue.  It played no part in the SPFL clubs decision.  The reality was that the SPFL didn’t actually exist at this point - the pyramid was a Stewart Regan initiative and a makeweight issue which was vastly overshadowed in negotiations which involved SFL and SPL clubs striking a bargain which saw a much greater level of funding going to the ‘30’ clubs outwith the Premier.  That plus the reunification of the ‘42’ after the Rangers Armageddon was the driving force behind the agreement which included the play off concession which Stewart Regan pursued as part of his own vision - not some vague threat that may or may not have existed from UEFA.  

That may well be the case. I can only repeat was said in the meeting I was present for.

In any case, you accused me of making something up which I did not. Not everyone is out there making up stuff.

Edited by Arthurlie1981

3 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

That may well be the case. I can only repeat was said in the meeting I was present for.

In any case, you accused me of making something up which I did not. Not everyone is out there making up stuff.

Yes indeed but equally it should be feasible  for you to provide a link to an online article or similar from back in the day where this aspect was publicised by Stewart Regan as evidence - as you suggest this was the key driver.  

4 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Question re: this concession.

Why was it voted through, I would presume no one in the 4 Divisions would want this potential trapdoor in situ?

Out of the goodness of their hearts?

I'm not trolling genuinely interested in how the pyramid in it's present form was born.

3 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Yes indeed but equally it should be feasible  for you to provide a link to an online article or similar from back in the day where this aspect was publicised by Stewart Regan as evidence - as you suggest this was the key driver.  

I have nothing to back it up other than my knowledge of what was said in the meeting. Obviously you are not going to accept that so there we are. 

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Pretty amusing reading EK fans complain about the injustice of the pyramid when they've just watched their side buy the title. 

FWIW I generally believe the top side should be promoted/bottom team relegated. But I make an exception in regards to Team 42. Why should they be subjected to a glorified development league? The LL is a farce and I think it's quite right Team 42 get the chance to avoid the cesspit. 

What makes the LL a "glorified development league" and a "farce"??  The SPL/SFL/SPFL are on pretty ropey ground with regard to the latter, plenty of SPFL farce in the last decade to write a few books.  On the former, not sure 2 B teams from 18 make it a development league 🤦‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

What makes the LL a "glorified development league" and a "farce"??  The SPL/SFL/SPFL are on pretty ropey ground with regard to the latter, plenty of SPFL farce in the last decade to write a few books.  On the former, not sure 2 B teams from 18 make it a development league 🤦‍♂️

2 that remain, aye? Farcical you let them in in the first place. I thought that was pretty obvious. 

53 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Question re: this concession.

Why was it voted through, I would presume no one in the 4 Divisions would want this potential trapdoor in situ?

Out of the goodness of their hearts?

I'm not trolling genuinely interested in how the pyramid in it's present form was born.

It was a package deal and was part of the ‘merger’ proposal that saw the SPFL formed.  Stewart Regan worked to get it included in the deal - thus it was voted through with only 5 or 6 clubs against because of the overall positives in the rest of the proposal.  Most clubs then in Tier 1 and 2 - mainly full time - wouldn’t be worried at all re the trapdoor concept.  Most of the votes against were I think from clubs lower down whilst many Tier 3/4 clubs agreed to concede on this point because of other benefits overall in the agreement 

18 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

2 that remain, aye? Farcical you let them in in the first place. I thought that was pretty obvious. 

So a bit of a foolish comment in that case. 

It's amusing to see how it triggers some fans of L1/L2 clubs, maybe a bit of fear of where you may end up perhaps.

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm pretty sure Burnieman didn't let B teams into the Lowland League.

13 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

So a bit of a foolish comment in that case. 

It's amusing to see how it triggers some fans of L1/L2 clubs, maybe a bit of fear of where you may end up perhaps.

If you re-read my opening post, the B team nonsense wasn't the main point. The reason I commented was the EK hypocrisy. Happy to buy a title but complaining about an injustice that doesn't benefit them. 

Just now, GordonS said:

I'm pretty sure Burnieman didn't let B teams into the Lowland League.

Shite patter. 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

If you re-read my opening post, the B team nonsense wasn't the main point. The reason I commented was the EK hypocrisy. Happy to buy a title but complaining about an injustice that doesn't benefit them. 

It may not have been your main point, but you claimed the LL was a glorified development league and a farce.  That's the bit that interests me, not EK.

Anyone remember the denying  Falkirk promotion into the Premier fiasco,with the all seater debacle. 

The SPFL are a cabal and have been far longer than the HL or LL.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Shite patter. 

Mate, you're the one with the truly desperate patter. Having a go about B teams in the LL at folk who are opposed to B teams in the LL, because of some weird SPFL loyalty, despite the fact the B teams are SPFL clubs. Give it up and stop trying to antagonise people.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Pretty amusing reading EK fans complain about the injustice of the pyramid when they've just watched their side buy the title. 

FWIW I generally believe the top side should be promoted/bottom team relegated. But I make an exception in regards to Team 42. Why should they be subjected to a glorified development league? The LL is a farce and I think it's quite right Team 42 get the chance to avoid the cesspit. 

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Mate, you're the one with the truly desperate patter. Having a go about B teams in the LL at folk who are opposed to B teams in the LL, because of some weird SPFL loyalty, despite the fact the B teams are SPFL clubs. Give it up and stop trying to antagonise people.

Pretty clear what my original post was about. 

Edited by 19QOS19

What happened at the end yesterday when your GK coach got sent off? Seen him acting the tit when at Darvel a few seasons back with the entourage on the touchline.

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

It was a package deal and was part of the ‘merger’ proposal that saw the SPFL formed.  Stewart Regan worked to get it included in the deal - thus it was voted through with only 5 or 6 clubs against because of the overall positives in the rest of the proposal.  Most clubs then in Tier 1 and 2 - mainly full time - wouldn’t be worried at all re the trapdoor concept.  Most of the votes against were I think from clubs lower down whilst many Tier 3/4 clubs agreed to concede on this point because of other benefits overall in the agreement 

So would it be possible for the now SPFL to close and lock this trapdoor if club or clubs propose it.

Wonder why Regan wanted this put in place, what benefit was there for him in it. 

Also wonder where I got this UEFA requirement from. It was way before I had come across p&b and before I knew of the existence of Lowland League.

Another thought wouldn't put it past someone in Regan's position to not tell the SPL/SFL about any UEFA pyramid requirement.

I have a long standing mistrust of management, comes from being a union rep for many a year.

Anyways, as I like to say, enjoyed our chat. Was a youth coach for many a year so all this senior stuff is new to me in the last 7 years or so. Tell you what; it is good fun all the shenanigans that go on.

11 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Wonder why Regan wanted this put in place, what benefit was there for him in it.

Another thought wouldn't put it past someone in Regan's position to not tell the SPL/SFL about any UEFA pyramid requirement.

It was part of the McLeish Report's recommendations. 2011 SFA AGM members voted to progress some of those. SFA Board changes, the Professional & Non-Professional Game Boards, merge SPL & SFL, introduction of licensing, set-up a pyramid system were amongst it.  Regan as Chief Exec was just carrying it out.