Faroe Islands

The Mantis

11 hours ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Good read. Faroe Islands seem to be mildly expensive eh?!

It's pricey OK but a bit better than Iceland. Like Iceland there are some things actually cheaper than UK, like fuel. Some things the same, like pizzas and burgers and coffee. But alcohol...oh dear. Lamb, fish dishes...oh dear.

I got a car from the airport at a weekend rate which was DK1100 (or 900 after August). This is about £130, but covered Friday 10.00 to Monday 9.00. When I said I didn't want to spend Monday hanging about the airport they said OK, just keep the car till 5.00. However they have DK300 for airport parking charges which seems unfair, and DK100 for the tunnel if you want to go anywhere... but public transport in Faroe is cheap (including the helicopters!) and some Tórshavn buses are free.

BTW if anybody's going to Iceland, use Sadcars :lol: I got a 12 year old Toyota which had 330000km on the clock but it was well serviced and cost about £230 for a whole week. The usual suspects like Hertz cost a bomb.

cracking read. I wondered if you've seen this magazine: http://www.glorymag.co.uk/. I must visit Faroes one day.

Also enjoyed your piece on Lewis and Harris. I've visited Harris twice, passing the ground in Tarbert often during my stay. Never coinciding with a game. I'd wondered if Leverburgh / South Harris would be able to maintain a team. There's a ground of sorts near the petrol station.

Great read, always fascinated with island life and how sustainable football teams are in these far flung places.

I also enjoyed your piece on Harris and Lewis, I had no idea there was so many amateur teams kicking about in the Hebrides.

I was on Coll last month for a week, and a little bit beyond the cottage we had hired was a football pitch, with goals and nets in place too. Given it has a population of somewhere in the region of 150, I don't imagine they will be sending a Coll XI to play in Lewis anytime soon!

First time i went to the Faroes it was really strange,there didint seem to be anybody between the ages of 16 and 60,basically what was happening was they had to go to demark for uni and when they seen the bright lights they wouldnt return until it was retirement time,so it was a real drain on the population so they opened a uni to keep the kids on the islands

Great place though,love going into the brewery for a carry out

4 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

cracking read. I wondered if you've seen this magazine: http://www.glorymag.co.uk/. I must visit Faroes one day.

Also enjoyed your piece on Lewis and Harris. I've visited Harris twice, passing the ground in Tarbert often during my stay. Never coinciding with a game. I'd wondered if Leverburgh / South Harris would be able to maintain a team. There's a ground of sorts near the petrol station.

Thanks for the link. I saw one or two blogs before I went but never saw this. I've ordered it anyway just for the photos.

Nice touch. Not Glory - Gløry :thumsup2

p.s. sneak preview. I met Jens Martin Knudsen when I was there.

On 22 August 2016 at 14:20, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The Gløry Mag arrived today. Very impressive. A bit pricey but super quality paper and photos. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

How are you getting to the Faroes when you go over? I was thinking about making a wee trip. Also are you hiring a car out there or is public transport doable?

I've only been the once, I'm just dragging it out :lol:

I got a fairly decent weekend deal on a car from the airport from Unicar. It was Friday morning to Monday morning but they let me keep it till Monday afternoon as my flight was 1740. I never actually met anyone, they just left the keys inside. Atlantic Airways from Edinburgh. Public transport is pretty good and cheap but I wanted to see 3 or 4 games over a weekend so a car was better.

Archived