Image result for thurso fc

C0SvXujXgAEE5mz.jpg

Alness Utd

Image result for alness utd

Orkney

Image result for orkney fc

St. Duthus (Tain)

Image result for st. duthus fc tain

Inverness Athletic, who play at Muir of Ord.

muiroford02.jpg

With thanks to Andy, Stevie B and anyone else for the nice photos.:thumsup2

Edited by CityDave

How about football in the Western Isles. First Lewis & Harris who have 9 teams, Back, Lochs, Point, Ness, Carloway, Harris, West Side, Stornoway Athletic, Stornoway Utd.

Lochs at home who were last season's Lewis & Harris Football League Champions

Ness

Image result for outer hebrides football

Image result for stornoway utd

Carloway

Image result for outer hebrides football harris fc  

Harris

P1020862

Thanks to all who filmed these videos and took these pictures

Edited by CityDave

Then there's also Uist and Barra

7 teams, Benbecula, Southend,  Iochdar Saints, North Uist, Eriskay, Barra, Westford

Eriskay FC

Image result for uist and Barra football

Southend

Image result for barra fc uist

Not 100% on this but both Iochdar Saints and Benbecula ground share as Saints pitch is no longer fit for use.

I had to add more pics of that Eriskay pitch. I see the pitch has been recognised by FIFA

Eriskay's bumpy football pitch wows Fifa

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/people-places/eriskay-football-pitch-recognised-by-fifa-1-3780083

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-32824967

Image result for eriskay fc

Image result for eriskay fc

Image result for eriskay football pitch

2 hours ago, CityDave said:

Stornoway Utd

Dave, that top one isn't Stornoway Utd, it's Ness again from a different angle. Utd share at Goathill with Athletic (Aths) which is in town.

The bottom one doesn't appear to be in Lewis or Harris at all. No idea where it is though.

EDIT- it's a neutral venue at Ullapool.

Obviously it's now time for a shameless plug for my blog on Lewis & Harris which is HERE :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by The Mantis

43 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Dave, that top one isn't Stornoway Utd, it's Ness again from a different angle. Utd share at Goathill with Athletic (Aths) which is in town.

The bottom one doesn't appear to be in Lewis or Harris at all. No idea where it is though.

EDIT- it's a neutral venue at Ullapool.

Obviously it's now time for a shameless plug for my blog on Lewis & Harris which is HERE :lol::lol::lol:

It wasn't going to be perfect because of the lack of information......perfect opportunity for your blog then :lol:

I'll tidy up the post.

Nice photos. :thumsup2

If you've been to most of these grounds out on the Islands and around the wilds of Argyll and the north west Highlands, what in your opinion would be the most remote football pitch that's still in use in Scotland?

Edited by CityDave

More Fraserburgh..... the school / nursery mentioned upthread
DSCF0218.JPG

You used to be able to go to the swings at the Park behind the ground, climb the slide and watch the match, we would wait till half time and get in for a pie and the second half, admission was a pound then

5 minutes ago, GordonD said:

That is a truly beautiful picture.

I don't know who the photographer is (this came of the Ness FC twitter account).

Here's another of the Ness FC changing rooms/ social club

Image result for ness fc

4 hours ago, CityDave said:

How about football in the Western Isles. First Lewis & Harris who have 9 teams, Back, Lochs, Point, Ness, Carloway, Harris, West Side, Stornoway Athletic, Stornoway Utd.

Lochs at home who were last season's Lewis & Harris Football League Champions

Ness

Image result for outer hebrides football

Carloway

Image result for outer hebrides football harris fc  

Harris

P1020862

Saw Dundee play a Lewis and Harris select in Stornaway and next evening travel to the other side of the island to open Westside's new pitch and pavillion back in July 2007 - it was a cracking trip

Edited by davidy233

1 hour ago, CityDave said:

It wasn't going to be perfect because of the lack of information......perfect opportunity for your blog then :lol:

I'll tidy up the post.

Nice photos. :thumsup2

If you've been to most of these grounds out on the Islands and around the wilds of Argyll and the north west Highlands, what in your opinion would be the most remote football pitch that's still in use in Scotland?

I'm familiar with Lewis & Harris but that's all, they're only remote if you're somewhere else :lol:

Posted this pic heaps (maybe even on this thread already) but I love this pic of Starks Park from the late 1920's.

Quite a few little wee quirks in the ground today like the main stand, and the proximity to the railway line. Even daft little things like having to climb a little set of steps when moving from inside to the seated part of the stand.

It's a shame how the ground has turned out though. Far too big for purpose. Grounds need to move on, and those were the rules at the time, but its ruined the ground. I would have preferred in hindsight to have stands similar in height to those at Inverness or Ross County, and keep the home section of the railway stand in use. Also a shame that the enclosure and side terrace can't be used now due to the pitch height.

Stark's%20Park%20in%201923.jpg

Edited by CALDERON

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Posted this pic heaps (maybe even on this thread already) but I love this pic of Starks Park from the late 1920's.

Quite a few little wee quirks in the ground today like the main stand, and the proximity to the railway line. Even daft little things like having to climb a little set of steps when moving from inside to the seated part of the stand.

It's a shame how the ground has turned out though. Far too big for purpose. Grounds need to move on, and those were the rules at the time, but its ruined the ground. I would have preferred in hindsight to have stands similar in height to those at Inverness or Ross County, and keep the home section of the railway stand in use. Also a shame that the enclosure and side terrace can't be used now due to the pitch height.

Stark's%20Park%20in%201923.jpg

What do you mean about the pitch height? I love it that you can't actually watch the match from the half way line at Stark's Park, but didn't realise there was some technical reason for it, rather than just that those sections are closed?

When the stadium got re-developed in the 90s, they raised the pitch.  So the game is pretty unwatchable from much of the enclosure area on the main stand side.

Those areas were open and used right up until 1996 when the stadium got redeveloped.

Grainy image, but this was from one of our UEFA cup ties in 1995, when you could watch the game from the half way line (Halcyon days)

Image result for starks park 1995

34 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

What do you mean about the pitch height? I love it that you can't actually watch the match from the half way line at Stark's Park, but didn't realise there was some technical reason for it, rather than just that those sections are closed?

From the corner next to the main stand to the opposite corner there was an upward slope of ridiculous height(IIRC 20 feet).

As Calderon says, when the stadium was developed the pitch was levelled out and the wall at the bottom corner was raised to it's current height.