Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On 03/12/2016 at 11:58, killiepiemuncher said:

This is a brilliant old Pathe Newsreel from 1955, Killie v Celtic S.C 1955. 31000 inside and all over the place.

Jesus has anyone actually watched that?  I know the Scottish Premiership standard isn't great these days, but 31,000 turned up to see that?!!!  Life must have been fucking murder back then

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Jesus has anyone actually watched that?  I know the Scottish Premiership standard isn't great these days, but 31,000 turned up to see that?!!!  Life must have been fucking murder back then

The match ball back then, never mind the science behind today's lightweights, these things were like cannonballs. I imagine defenders back then in training would wear pillows tied with string to their skulls as they head butted walls to strengthen those neck muscles for headers. :lol: I've headed these things back when I was a youngster and I tell you they can easily compress your spine if you're not strong enough, even worse in the rain, a blow from a soaking wet pre 1980's leather football could also prove fatal or drop your IQ by 5% each time you head the ball out of the penalty box, its no surprise that some defenders of that era have been left with a negative IQ. Even a soft tap from one of these cannonballs in the nads would leave the victim writhing around squealing in pain on the ground.

It was like watching a Harry Enfield sketch. Poor football, think yourself lucky that your watching skilful athletes these days. [emoji23]

The match ball back then, never mind the science behind today's lightweights, these things were like cannonballs. I imagine defenders back then in training would wear pillows tied with string to their skulls as they head butted walls to strengthen those neck muscles for headers. [emoji38] I've headed these things back when I was a youngster and I tell you they can easily compress your spine if you're not strong enough, even worse in the rain, a blow from a soaking wet pre 1980's leather football could also prove fatal or drop your IQ by 5% each time you head the ball out of the penalty box, its no surprise that some defenders of that era have been left with a negative IQ. Even a soft tap from one of these cannonballs in the nads would leave the victim writhing around squealing in pain on the ground.

Explains a lot of ex pros bullshit

A nice wee ground at Rothes, MacKessack Park. Very scenic with the trees and hills in the background. The leaves falling in autumn from the trees on the other side of the wall opposite the Main Stand end up on the pitch. The nearby river has flooded the pitch in the past.

Rothes v Brora Rangers  4th Aug 07 (4).jpg

Image result for rothes mackessack park

Rothes v Brora Rangers 4th aug 07 (1).jpg

Rothes v Brora Rangers 4th Aug 07 (6).jpg

Related image

Scottish football travels August to November 2009 094.jpg

Edited by CityDave

21 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

There's a young lad in the crowd who apparently cheers like mad when both teams score.

The now long gone old stands at Grant Street Park, home of Clachnacuddin.

Rumour had it that when one of these was destroyed in a fire............nope definitely not an insurance job???

The old entrance and car park used to be behind the Main Stand, but after the fire these parts of the ground were sold off to a property developer and now have flats built there. There is still an exit onto Grant Street, but the main entrance/exit and car park is now at Wyvis Place.

Related image