Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

That's what i meant? Remember it but not sure why.

Seems easier to have just terracing down to pitch level?

I'd suspect it was to maximise capacity.

If you'd carried the terracing around the corner (i.e. so the first step was at pitch level all the way along) it could have been very shallow at its apex with corresponding loss through the need to slope down from either side.

3 hours ago, 7-2 said:

1963Jan1.jpg

What's the story with the gap between the end of the stand and the enclosure? It's obviously fenced off. Reconstruction work starting?

I presume that was the start of the work that created a very shallow standing enclosure, which ran all the way from corner flag to corner flag underneath the main stand at the time. That’s where I always went in my early days going to Tannadice.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I presume that was the start of the work that created a very shallow standing enclosure, which ran all the way from corner flag to corner flag underneath the main stand at the time. That’s where I always went in my early days going to Tannadice.

The stand would have been quite new then maybe a year or 2 old so as you say they would have been starting work on the enclosure.

Tomorrow marks the closure of Meadowbank, aka the Commonwealth Stadium, in Edinburgh after almost 50 years. Never a loved football venue but I'm actually really sad to see it go - there was something deeply impressive about that scale of concrete-and-steel in all its monumentalism. Supposedly the grandstand was the largest single-tiered in Scotland outside Hampden, also.

145d0415-c04a-4b37-9fe8-76b39fb1e6dd-620

3753259887.jpg

PAY-Meadowbank-Stadium-Edinburgh.jpg

edinburgh-city-fc-meadowbank-stadium-wes

Last trophy won there was apparently LTHV beating Edinburgh City in the EOS Cup in March.

I think the last football game on the main stadium was Edinburgh City v Stirling Albion in April in SPFL2.

Last football match on the complex is Leith Athletic v Burntisland Shipyard - an appropriately low-key matchup - in the EOS League Cup R1 tomorrow afternoon. Then the bulldozers move in. Edinburgh City have become tenants at Spartans; Leith at Edinburgh University.

What's happening to it? More flats? I saw Dunfermline there a few times - for a young lad used to Division Two grounds like Gayfield, Bayview and Links Park (before the huge new stand), Meadowbank seemed enormous and the fact it had a running track under the seats was amazing. Also watched Edinburgh Gunners as they were called at the time plenty of times when they played there. Thought it was a decent venue for them and with temporary stands behind the sticks like at Scotstoun it could have been a better bet than Murrayfield ever was.

I recall a game at Meadowbank in the 70's, my mates and I went for pies just before kick off which turned out to be rank.

One of us had a blinding idea to see if he could lob a pie as far as the long jump pit, cue everyone joining in, only to see the pies fall short onto the heids of some auld boys down the front, it must have felt like they were bombarded by a Katyusha battery.

What's happening to it? More flats? I saw Dunfermline there a few times - for a young lad used to Division Two grounds like Gayfield, Bayview and Links Park (before the huge new stand), Meadowbank seemed enormous and the fact it had a running track under the seats was amazing. Also watched Edinburgh Gunners as they were called at the time plenty of times when they played there. Thought it was a decent venue for them and with temporary stands behind the sticks like at Scotstoun it could have been a better bet than Murrayfield ever was.

I think it is getting replaced with a new sports centre

On 11/24/2017 at 10:27, jagfox99 said:

Cracking pic of Firhill’s North Terrace Shed.

D3328872-4095-48D0-A2DE-A3E50CC4F3BF.thumb.jpeg.7f0ac88992928b551ed17a25d1c433d8.jpeg

I used to love going to Firhill when the old terracing was there.  Always a great atmosphere when the Killie played you then.  The young guys nowadays would have loved the old grounds when you could create an atmosphere. 

All seated stadiums are sh1te. 

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

What's happening to it? More flats?

Eastern half... car park, open grass areas, 3G pitch, velodrome... and some of perimeters = flats.

Rest = new small athletics stadium on footprint of current with 500 seat stand, possibly some terracing, 3G pitch; another 3G pitch; sports centre.

meadowbank_aerial_view800x480.jpg

327993-site-plan-of-meadowbank-stadium-a

Hunters-Hall-240314-Option-4.jpg

kIShLM7.jpg

news_4551.jpg

9 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

What ground were these photos taken in?   They are amazing. 

Top = Pittodrie.

Bottom = Old Den.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tomorrow marks the closure of Meadowbank, aka the Commonwealth Stadium, in Edinburgh after almost 50 years. Never a loved football venue but I'm actually really sad to see it go - there was something deeply impressive about that scale of concrete-and-steel in all its monumentalism. Supposedly the grandstand was the largest single-tiered in Scotland outside Hampden, also.

3753259887.jpg

Last trophy won there was apparently LTHV beating Edinburgh City in the EOS Cup in March.

I think the last football game on the main stadium was Edinburgh City v Stirling Albion in April in SPFL2.

Last football match on the complex is Leith Athletic v Burntisland Shipyard - an appropriately low-key matchup - in the EOS League Cup R1 tomorrow afternoon. Then the bulldozers move in. Edinburgh City have become tenants at Spartans; Leith at Edinburgh University.

Where did Ferranti Thistle play?

34 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Pretty sure they played there too.

I went to a few Stirling Albion games there and it was an utterly hellish place to watch football, miles from the pitch and atmosphereless.

Only Cowdenbeath's hellhole of a stadium is a worse venue of all the senior grounds i've been to.

On 3 July 2017 at 10:31, PauloPerth said:

Whenever I went to Tynecastle before the new stands were built, away fans were always in the big open terrace at the Gorgie End. Home fans got the side with benches bolted onto terracing  on the Wheatfield Side with a roof that curved round the corner to cover a wee bit of the Roseburn End.

Are folk saying it used to be opposite ends about going further back?

There wasn't any segregation when i first went to Tynecastle. Great fun under that old shed. Tasty. Almost as good as the old Beach End at Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

Pitches off Fettes Avenue, IIRC, then City Park.

31 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

it was an utterly hellish place to watch football, miles from the pitch and atmosphereless.

Only Cowdenbeath's hellhole of a stadium is a worse venue of all the senior grounds i've been to.

Don't pull your punches :lol:.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

3753259887.jpg

Loved meadowbank stadium. Remember watching Killie there when the main stand was shut for a cat show and we were round on the open terrace. Also great memories of the scoreboard showing the score when we humped them 8-1.  

Sorry to see it go. 

2 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

I was at that game, although was too young to remember much about it.   IIRC I was in the enclosure in front of the stand.

Some difference in the crowd today at McDiarmid park. 

Muirton Park was a cracking old ground. Sadly missed.