Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On 10/3/2017 at 23:14, Flybhoy said:

A roofless West Stand/Rangers end of Hampden in the background as Celtic celebrate a goal v Aberdeen in the 1967 Scottish cup final

Any of you oldies know when the roof went on there...?

IMG_20171003_230928.jpg

The west terrace's roof was installed not long after this picture was taken - it was built in the summer of 1967 as part of Queens Park's centenary celebrations. The plan was to demolish the north enclosure above the terrace and cover it and the east terrace - in addition to rebuilding the main stand - to create a fully-covered oval not too dissimilar to the way Wembley looked in the late 70s/early 80s. Alas this never happened. In one of the museum stores in Hampden there's an architect's model of what the ground would have become. If it had gone up then it's entirely likely that we wouldn't have the stadium the way it is now.

Also interesting to see the two high-rise blocks going up in the background too!

4 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

The west terrace's roof was installed not long after this picture was taken - it was built in the summer of 1967 as part of Queens Park's centenary celebrations. The plan was to demolish the north enclosure above the terrace and cover it and the east terrace - in addition to rebuilding the main stand - to create a fully-covered oval not too dissimilar to the way Wembley looked in the late 70s/early 80s. Alas this never happened. In one of the museum stores in Hampden there's an architect's model of what the ground would have become. If it had gone up then it's entirely likely that we wouldn't have the stadium the way it is now.

Also interesting to see the two high-rise blocks going up in the background too!

My dad used to collect football programmes as did I as a boy and he had the one from the 1980 Celtic/Rangers riot final which contained an article detailing how that was to be the last major game there in the way it was.

Seemingly with a combination of private investment, football pools funding and a sizeable grant from the Scottish office the North, West and East terraces were to be flattened that summer and rebuilt, partially seated and roofed. As we know that never happened, my dad seemed to recall the Scottish office at the behest of Westminster withdrew their part of the purse, seemingly David Murray was meant to be involved as Murray International Metals were heavily involved and backed in the then rebuild of Ibrox.

I was about five back then so no idea if any substance in that but would be interesting to hear any other recollections from that era and story?

On 7/15/2017 at 23:37, Jimboyjones1976 said:

f**k!

Look at that sign! It's like a western.

I agree it was a crazy font to use.  I can see from earlier pictures above that a classier more conventional font was once used, but Spaghetti Westerns were big back in the late 60's. I wonder if this is when the font was 'updated'. :blink:

10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

My dad used to collect football programmes as did I as a boy and he had the one from the 1980 Celtic/Rangers riot final which contained an article detailing how that was to be the last major game there in the way it was.

Seemingly with a combination of private investment, football pools funding and a sizeable grant from the Scottish office the North, West and East terraces were to be flattened that summer and rebuilt, partially seated and roofed. As we know that never happened, my dad seemed to recall the Scottish office at the behest of Westminster withdrew their part of the purse, seemingly David Murray was meant to be involved as Murray International Metals were heavily involved and backed in the then rebuild of Ibrox.

I was about five back then so no idea if any substance in that but would be interesting to hear any other recollections from that era and story?

images.jpeg.7a8e04dbf8ac085b87033e11805e194a.jpegdownloadfile.jpeg.31b2713a2e53ae55c836159e0a0e0a87.jpeg

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 23:14, Flybhoy said:

A roofless West Stand/Rangers end of Hampden in the background as Celtic celebrate a goal v Aberdeen in the 1967 Scottish cup final

Any of you oldies know when the roof went on there...?

IMG_20171003_230928.jpg

The Mount Florida high rise flats still being built in the background too.