Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

Some difference in the crowd today at McDiarmid park. 

Good grief. Comparing a 47 year old Scottish Cup semi Final between Aberdeen and Kilmarnock at Muirton to modern day St Johnstone at McDiarmid? Really?  That's undoubtedly the worst attempted slagging of our attendances I've seen on here and that takes some doing. Literally the only connection between the two is they are both in Perth. Jeez.

:oops

Edited by 7-2

6 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Good grief. Comparing a 47 year old Scottish Cup semi Final between Aberdeen and Kilmarnock at Muirton to modern day St Johnstone at McDiarmid? Really?  That's undoubtedly the worst attempted slagging of our attendances I've seen on here and that takes some doing. Literally the only connection between the two is they are both in Perth. Jeez.

Here fishy fishy

Edited by Keith Walwyn

12 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

What's happening to it? More flats? I saw Dunfermline there a few times - for a young lad used to Division Two grounds like Gayfield, Bayview and Links Park (before the huge new stand), Meadowbank seemed enormous and the fact it had a running track under the seats was amazing. Also watched Edinburgh Gunners as they were called at the time plenty of times when they played there. Thought it was a decent venue for them and with temporary stands behind the sticks like at Scotstoun it could have been a better bet than Murrayfield ever was.

I remember going there to watch us too. it looked like a huge stadium to me a a kid.

One season we got promoted they went right to the wire with us. They had a cracking centre half called Grant Tierney. Pretty sure he ended up at the Pars ?

13 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

WTF?  Are you trying to elicit a response?  Anyway, I'll bite if that is what you want.

In no way was I making any reference to St Johnstone, who were not even involved in the 1970 game.  Are you looking to be offended?  I have no interest in slagging clubs like St Johnstone about the size of their support and you read something into my post that was not ever implied. 

I was just reminiscing about the level of support both Killie and Aberdeen had on the day. 

Just one point about today, at £23 for an adult is it any wonder why attendances are so low?  Despite that I am still going .

Edited by paul wright scores

WTF?  Are you trying to elicit a response?  Anyway, I'll bite if that is what you want.
In no way was I making any reference to St Johnstone, who were not even involved in the 1970 game.  Are you looking to be offended?  I have no interest in slagging clubs like St Johnstone about the size of their support and you read something into my post that was not ever implied. 
 I was just reminiscing about the level of support both Killie and Aberdeen had on the day. 
 Just one point about today, at £23 for an adult is it any wonder why attendances are so low?  Despite that I am still going .

I'm not wanting to get into all this in here, but the prices don't affect our attendances in the slightest, they aren't even far off our crowds in the 80s, average wise

7 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

So criticising a post is now automatically fishing is it? No, I was simply criticising your post. However I have indeed misunderstood your McDiarmid reference given it's Killie playing there this afternoon. I obviously took the use of 'today' wrongly.  I'm just fed up of the constant digs from everywhere at our attendances.  Apologies for wrongly going off on one.

I remember going there to watch us too. it looked like a huge stadium to me a a kid.
One season we got promoted they went right to the wire with us. They had a cracking centre half called Grant Tierney. Pretty sure he ended up at the Pars ?

He did, aye. He was pretty solid and had a nice beard if I'm thinking of the same player.

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

So criticising a post is now automatically fishing is it? No, I was simply criticising your post. However I have indeed misunderstood your McDiarmid reference given it's Killie playing there this afternoon. I obviously took the use of 'today' wrongly.  I'm just fed up of the constant digs from everywhere at our attendances.  Apologies for wrongly going off on one.

No worries.

I will disagree with Random Guy on one thing though about prices. 

Paying £23, £24, £25 as an away supporter does affect attendances.  It is a lot of money and when you add in travel costs I can't afford to pay that for every away game.  Some of us are on a pension, but not yet old enough to qualify for the OAP pension.

Hope it is a good game and I would happily take a draw right now. 

Edited by paul wright scores

18 hours ago, sjc said:

DP_bFsiX0AUXuc9.jpg

Aberdeen v Kilmarnock - 1970 Scottish Cup SF - Muirton Park - Att: 25,000!

Great picture. Still think it's incredible that the ground could hold that, or the 29,972 record attendance v Dundee in 1959. I only experienced the ground with about 8000, and it felt fairly full, with the exception of the old wooden Stand which was half closed due to fire regs.

I was only at Muirton Park once and it was the scene of one of the worst things to ever happen at a game. It was a midweek game and we were in the corner of the old stand. I was cold and hungry so asked my dad if I could get a pie. He reluctantly agreed so I went down the stairs at the front into the enclosure and round to the wee wooden shed to get one. Queued for ages and when I eventually returned with the pie (and a tea for my dad) it was steak and kidney. Boak. Makes me heave even thinking about it. Why would a football ground sell such a monstrosity?

17 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I was only at Muirton Park once and it was the scene of one of the worst things to ever happen at a game. It was a midweek game and we were in the corner of the old stand. I was cold and hungry so asked my dad if I could get a pie. He reluctantly agreed so I went down the stairs at the front into the enclosure and round to the wee wooden shed to get one. Queued for ages and when I eventually returned with the pie (and a tea for my dad) it was steak and kidney. Boak. Makes me heave even thinking about it. Why would a football ground sell such a monstrosity?

Ouch! That's a sair yin to take at the best of times, let alone in that situation! At least at McDiarmid their pies are a fair bit better now - last time I went I had steak and chorizo pie and it was magnificento. 

Ouch! That's a sair yin to take at the best of times, let alone in that situation! At least at McDiarmid their pies are a fair bit better now - last time I went I had steak and chorizo pie and it was magnificento. 

I had a chicken and chorizo pie today, very nice filling but the pie case was a bit soggy.

1 minute ago, killiepiemuncher said:

I had a chicken and chorizo pie today, very nice filling but the pie case was a bit soggy.

Always a slight disappointment when that happens but if the filling is good I guess it's not a lost cause. I'll give St. Johnstone their dues, they do usually have good pies on the go.

12 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

Back on the subject - I seem to remember fans standing in the pylons at the old Broomfield as well - anyone got any photos?

Think the lights at Dens and maybe Tannadice used to have barbed wire a bit above headhight to stop people climbing up.