Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

11 hours ago, ah-dee said:
On 11/22/2017 at 17:51, Hayser78 said:
Artistic impression of Dens Park with its new Archibald Leitch Grandstand.

14e91e4d7806b8f4fd98b299cf21e8e9.jpg

Just before the old Provie Road and TC Keay ends were demolished to make way for the Bobby Cox and Bob Shankly Stands. Greyhound track in view!

79314318a72cf188ee2da26e9a3c9c5f.jpg

thanks for thaat. the bottom pic is how i remember dens on my first visit

Coincidentally the top picture is how Granny Danger remembers his first visit to Dens for a derby!

24 minutes ago, locheedfcno1 said:

Shame to see it like that. Any plans for flats or houses??

It's right next to the new-ish retail park in Falkirk where the cinema & several shops, restaurants etc are. I think when Alan Mackin, who is an absolute crook who has more or less killed that club, sold the ground/land he assumed it would easily get planning permission for commercial development but for a variety of reasons it never happened and basically the plot is now just overgrown with weeds, absolutely tragic story of a club leaving a somewhat rundown, but adequate for their needs ground for essentially nothing. Cant see The Shire being able to be sustainable much longer in the Lowland League paying rent to Stenhousmuir on crowds that often dont even reach three figures.

Only slight crumb of comfort is I think the con man Mackin missed out on the majority of his expected windfall as I believe the figure proposed in the sale was dependent on various planning permission and development grants for the land being approved, pleasing but doesnt detract from the basic fact of what a pointless move that was which, ultimately that club will never recover from.

He wanted to build houses on it but the Council knocked it back owing to the lack of parking. He was at a Shire game earlier in the season, before being thrown out, and the rumour then was that he was trying to sell Firs back to the club.

They've told him to do one, as they should - unless he gifts it to the club gratis and picks up the cost of building a new stadium then he can do one.

5 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Speaking of clubs who sunk like a stone after greedy chancers flogged their ground for personal gain, the bench-tastic arena that was Kilbowie Park, Clydebank.

IMG_20180114_144742.jpg

BL3UN94CAAEjULJ.jpg

B0qZJMkIEAEeM-r.jpg

clydebank_v_raith_rovers_1989-90.jpg

When did they put the roof over the benches?

The end behind the goal  in picture two never had a roof over it. As far back as I can remember (mid 80's) the side opposite dugouts always had a roof, although in practice it only covered the back dozen rows or so.

Not old enough to recall if it was originally uncovered?

Edited by Flybhoy

4 minutes ago, locheedfcno1 said:

Kilbowie had a touch of dens park with the benches. How far is holm park where Clydebank juniors play from where kilbowie was?? Some good pics there. Glass boxes behind goal hospitality??

About 3 minutes in a car if you get held up with traffic coming out of Asda. Glass boxes? You mean the social club?

16 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Celtic fans at Ibrox in 1983 when they couldnt shift enough tickets to even sell out against us, meaning we got almost 20,000 tickets back then for a few years including half the enclosure and a third of the Govan Stand.

IMG_20180114_003143.jpg

I’m sure this idea of restricting tickets for away fans is a pretty new thing dating to when season tickets took off, and nothing to do with who could sell what.  In my day Celtic fans always got the West enclosure and Rangers fans got a bit of the jungle. The crowds were definitely more of an even split.

23 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

I’m sure this idea of restricting tickets for away fans is a pretty new thing dating to when season tickets took off, and nothing to do with who could sell what.  In my day Celtic fans always got the West enclosure and Rangers fans got a bit of the jungle. The crowds were definitely more of an even split.

And without any barriers or lines of cops or stewards. My earliest memory of the Jungle was somewhere your Granda stood. The more Partizan Belgrade chaps were behind both goals.

17 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Certainly in the years I started going to football, mid 80's, Rangers fans didnt get a bit of the jungle although they may have done in previous decades?

My first was 1970 in the Scottish Cup when they got a bit of the jungle, I remember it well as I was shit scared when the bottles started flying. Only a bare 10 yards of terracing between them with a row of polis. But I’ve had no interest in Rangers FC for nearly 30 years. ICT are my big team now and I’ve seen them beat Rangers more times than I care to remember. I just thought it was one of those myths as Rangers crowds were poor back then, about 15000  but I think they still turned out for OF games.

eta - maybe league matches were different but it was a long time ago...

Edited by The Mantis