Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

9 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Don't really call them anything! Always try to sit in the north or south stands so it rarely comes up, but if I am in there, I'd probably say West or East stand.

Definitely East and West stands for me.

I know this isnt a Scottish ground but this picture of Tottenham fans at The Dell, former home of Southampton in 1984 I found on an old football grounds twitter page I follow is so typical of many grounds across Europe, including Scotland right up till the early 90's.

Actually quite frightening how dangerous that looks and so tragic that the obvious warning signs were there before Hillsborough and no one acted and saw it coming.

IMG_20180121_164051.jpg

2 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

I know this isnt a Scottish ground but this picture of Tottenham fans at The Dell, former home of Southampton in 1984 I found on an old football grounds twitter page I follow is so typical of many grounds across Europe, including Scotland right up till the early 90's.

Actually quite frightening how dangerous that looks and so tragic that the obvious warning signs were there before Hillsborough and no one acted and saw it coming.

IMG_20180121_164051.jpg

There's been a lot of revisionism in the near 30 years since Hillsborough tbh with how bad the issue with hooliganism in the 70s & 80s largely forgotten. 

On 20/01/2018 at 10:00, topcat(The most tip top) said:

By the same logic the “Lisbon Lions” Stand at parkhead should be the Heart of Midlothian Stand after a similar event in 1998

And then renamed The Ballistic End a couple of years later

Pictures of the Archibald Leech sprung terracing that failed causing the Ibrox Disaster of 1902.wp508203e3_05_06.jpg

Disaster-ibroxi6.jpg

image.jpg

This occurred during a Scotland vs England game and led to 25 fatalities and over 500 injuries. 

80,000 were packed into the stadium. 

The match was allowed to finish despite the accident happening around the 15th minute. 

• 3 weeks later...
The old enclosure just before it was seated at Ibrox, the last bit of standing in the stadium with the club deck going on top of the main stand, picture from circa 1992.
FB_IMG_1518535089171.jpg.32af4e20e7b980269abfcc98864c74f0.jpg
That's a great photo.

I'd love it if they brought in a safe standing enclosure in the bottom tier.

Love going down to Carlisle and standing in the enclosure there.

26 minutes ago, ham89 said:

That's a great photo.

Looking through this thread on a quiet day in the office. Some of these grounds are real gems, such a shame they had to go.  So much more character than the blocks of concrete we see today.  Sad we didn't get Morton away in the cup love an away day there.  

Edited by Raphael

2 hours ago, ham89 said:

That's a great photo.

Just saw this picture on a Football Grounds facebook page of the beginning of the construction of that stand in the 1920's, taken from the Broomloan Road end, cracking picture. 

FB_IMG_1518552477877.jpg

Definitely looks like the cowshed side to me. First the far away bit with the second tier which was there up till the 1970s. Secondly I doubt if there was terracing there before the 1928 Leitch Stand, just the old main stand, and if there was terracing they would have demolished it. Third, it doesn’t look like the main stand at all, shape-wise. It looks like the old double roofed cowshed.

Edited by The Mantis