Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

One of the ends at Boghead was known as the "Cowshed". I don't know if that was just a nickname because it was made of a similar looking material or if the metal used had a previous life as a cowshed. I'm sure I've heard of other grounds containing ends/stands with the same name.  Can anyone confirm any of this? 

53 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

One of the ends at Boghead was known as the "Cowshed". I don't know if that was just a nickname because it was made of a similar looking material or if the metal used had a previous life as a cowshed. I'm sure I've heard of other grounds containing ends/stands with the same name.  Can anyone confirm any of this? 

Most grounds outside of the main pavilion/stand had no cover. Even the first covered terracing on a major ground (Ibrox) charged extra to enter. Cover for the cheapest parts of most Scottish grounds didn't come along until the 1950s. Boghead in it's day had some sort of cover on 4 sides when much bigger grounds didn't.

2 hours ago, RockMusic said:

We had a ramshackle construction along the side at Palmerston before a 'modern' stand was built in 1994.  It was also known as the cowshed.

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

No it doesn’t.

“Pit” is a commonly used prefix for place names, meaning ‘peat or bog’ and Todhar is a direct translation of ‘manure’ in Gaelic. 

Most places in Scotland are anglicised versions of their old Gaelic names. Therefore Pit-Todhar became Pittodrie - ie. a pile of manure. It was a literal name because the stadium was built on a stable for police horses and was therefore an actual pile of sh*t.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2369117/Pittodrie-built-on-rotting-foundations.html

8 minutes ago, Austinho said:

“Pit” is a commonly used prefix for place names, meaning ‘peat or bog’ and Todhar is a direct translation of ‘manure’ in Gaelic. 

Most places in Scotland are anglicised versions of their old Gaelic names. Therefore Pit-Todhar became Pittodrie - ie. a pile of manure. It was a literal name because the stadium was built on a stable for police horses and was therefore an actual pile of sh*t.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2369117/Pittodrie-built-on-rotting-foundations.html

Quoting the telegraph, m8?

14EF1A08-BC08-4024-BFE4-975841451EC4.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Austinho said:

A very common misconception.

It was Pit-Fhodraidh , approximately pronounced pityodray.

It means the place of flowers iirc.

For that theory to work we’d have to believe that Aberdeen was Gaelic speaking in 1901