Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

5 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

How am I the one derailing it? I'm responding to comments made. Get a grip.

Ssssshhh stop derailing the thread. Although I am a tip top guy :lol:

Nope, just a sensible debate would be nice instead of people adopting their positions & feeling it's beyond them to give credit where it's due. Just look at the European threads as an example. Celtic fans all wishing the other clubs well. Was it reciprocated? Nope...only a very small number of decent posters did. The majority were too spiteful.

Davie, The reason other Clubs fans don't wish Celtic well in the UCL is because the £20-30m they receive for qualifying further desbilises our domestic league. Celtic not qualifying the last few years has pulled them back to the rest of the pack and made for a tighter league. Were you cheering Rangers on in Europe in the late 90's during their 9IAR?

Edited by sjc

56 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

You know that's not true though. We sell out one stand and there are a thousand or so fans in the other stand with the banners.

Many Celtic fans refuse to go to Rugby Park due to Killie being vocal in their opposition to the The Rangers not being elevated straight into the top flight of Scottish football & eventually when more voices came out in opposition, could still only bring themselves to abstain at best so they could attempt to keep more visiting fans on-side. Plus there is many who are sick of Killie bumping the prices up for our fans (although given our prices are comparable for Killie fans, it's not an argument I agree with). I'm a bit hazy with this but was there not a case of Killie previously handing over a 3rd stand to Rangers but then refusing to do the same for Celtic?

Either way given we roughly bring about 5,000 fans to your place, it's just plain silly to suggest we are one of the worst fans to visit RP, proportionately or otherwise.

Your club waited to see how the others would vote before committing to saying no to newco. So a bit of hypocrisy there considering Kilmarnock didn't say yes. Had the clubs said yes to newco your club would have followed regardless of how the majority of Celtic fans felt about Rangers being shoehorned into the SPL. The Celtic board would not want to lose the OF games, it makes business sense, its the guaranteed every season money maker for both clubs. Same applies to Kilmarnock fans with their club many of whom would have been horrified and angry with their football club for not saying no and also angry that their club has taken them for granted for years and put other clubs fans both Celtic and Rangers first before their own supporters many who had followed Kilmarnock for decades. Its all about the money before the supporters. Its not the supporters fault their club choose to distance themselves from them and regard them as nothing but spectators and customers. Its not a stick to beat the Killie fans about the head with, we all felt the same way during the summer 2012.

That's my say on it, now back on topic...please.

35 minutes ago, CityDave said:

I see Davie Bhoy is back trying to derail the thread again.

To be honest, it's never the attention seeking roasters that derail threads, it's the normal posters feeding their egos and responding to them. If they were just ignored they'd soon go away.

Davie, The reason other Clubs fans don't wish Celtic well in the UCL is because the £20-30m they receive for qualifying further desbilises our domestic league. Celtic not qualifying the last few years has pulled them back to the rest of the pack and made for a tighter league. Were you cheering Rangers on in Europe in the late 90's during their 9IAR?

Celtic & Rangers are different to the rest. A strong Rangers are a match for Celtic and therefor a threat but not being disrespectful here but the reality is that even Hearts & Aberdeen are not a match for Celtic over the course of a season. The past 2 seasons Aberdeen have apparently challenged Celtic & yet we won the league by 17pts & 15pts respectively. That's with us having a poor side and clueless manager. So if they can't do it in those circumstances, is an extra £20-30m going to really change much in the grand scheme of things? Also it means St Johnstone, Motherwell etc are not going to get closer with or without the money either so would it do their fans any harm to wish us well so that they can get the extra money that comes their way as well as the co-efficient points.

Plus if our fans are turning up in good numbers then this will have a knock on affect like we seen at McDairmid recently when we filled both our stands, something we haven't done in a while.

Just now, Davie Bhoy said:

Celtic & Rangers are different to the rest. A strong Rangers are a match for Celtic and therefor a threat but not being disrespectful here but the reality is that even Hearts & Aberdeen are not a match for Celtic over the course of a season. The past 2 seasons Aberdeen have apparently challenged Celtic & yet we won the league by 17pts & 15pts respectively. That's with us having a poor side and clueless manager. So if they can't do it in those circumstances, is an extra £20-30m going to really change much in the grand scheme of things? Also it means St Johnstone, Motherwell etc are not going to get closer with or without the money either so would it do their fans any harm to wish us well so that they can get the extra money that comes their way as well as the co-efficient points.

Plus if our fans are turning up in good numbers then this will have a knock on affect like we seen at McDairmid recently when we filled both our stands, something we haven't done in a while.

so we should all support Rangers or Celtic then?

Your club waited to see how the others would vote before committing to saying no to newco. So a bit of hypocrisy there considering Kilmarnock didn't say yes. Had the clubs said yes to newco your club would have followed regardless of how the majority of Celtic fans felt about Rangers being shoehorned into the SPL. The Celtic board would not want to lose the OF games, it makes business sense, its the guaranteed every season money maker for both clubs. Same applies to Kilmarnock fans with their club many of whom would have been horrified and angry with their football club for not saying no and also angry that their club has taken them for granted for years and put other clubs fans both Celtic and Rangers first before their own supporters many who had followed Kilmarnock for decades. Its all about the money before the supporters. Its not the supporters fault their club choose to distance themselves from them and regard them as nothing but spectators and customers. Its not a stick to beat the Killie fans about the head with, we all felt the same way during the summer 2012.

That's my say on it, now back on topic...please.

I agree with you. We only came out after Aberdeen & Dundee Utd spoke out. In terms of the 11 clubs outwith Rangers, we were one of the first in that case.

I was disappointed with my board in not leading the way & have to give great credit to Aberdeen & Utd for how they stood strong on this front. Even now the Celtic board continue to disappoint. I'm not beating a Killie fan with that stick though. Just saying it as it is. Their club were the biggest shitebags during that period & our fans haven't forgotten it. No doubt if we can clinch a title there though, many will put their moral stance to the side.

Right get back on track....I'm a wee bit of a stadium lover too lol.

1 minute ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Call it support if you want but I think it'd be a good thing to maybe wish us well in Europe until such time as maybe we are a direct threat to you.

If Celtic or Rangers/Sevco were playing ISIS I'd be cheering on Allah's 11....

41 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

I clearly said "about 5000". So that's a ballpoint figure. You have just selected 3 games to suit your argument. If you maybe look at say the last 10-12 games & give our average then you'd get a more accurate reflection.

Yes I do & I think it's a silly way to decide a good or a bad away support. For a start if we were to bring down about 25% of our home support, where would you put us? Secondly is that exactly 25% of Motherwell's support or are you accepting it as "about" unlike how you did with my claim? 

I took the games from the last 2 seasons as i am talking about what you take to RP. You used to fill both stands (Celtic were the visitors for the record crowd at the new RP) but your support has got smaller on an almost yearly basis since then at RP unless you can win the league. Funnily enough we used to take 2,000+ to Ibrox and Parkhead but not any longer.

Motherwell get an average of around 4,000 at home, they bring roughly 1,000 to RP each time they visit. How hard is that to understand? I'm not a sad act, i'm not going to take a note of the exact number of their support each time they visit. 

My point stands, Celtic's support at RP isn't great these days given what 1) their home support is and 2) what they used to bring, even when Rangers were going through 9IAR Celtic brought bigger crowds.

That said, our home crowds were much bigger both home and away then too.

And lastly, you stated Celtic have had 1,000 in the Moffat Stand in these games. I'ts been closed for many of your recent visits as you never sold out the Chadwick. It was however open for your last visit.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

18 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Their club were the biggest shitebags during that period & our fans haven't forgotten it. No doubt if we can clinch a title there though, many will put their moral stance to the side.

Your fans have zero moral stance, you will pack out Ibrox like you always do.

The vote thing is purely an excuse for your fans not turning up at an away game they don't fancy. Suits me though, the less Old Firm fans at games at RP the better. 

PS. I'm well aware Michael Johnston is a parasite. 

'Tis one of the strange things this about Cliftonhill home of Albion Rovers is that there is perfectly fine piece of covered terracing opposite the Main Stand that could be used and provide a better view of the football match. Has this covered standing area been used in recent times, its been a while since I've been there?

Oh and if the ground isn't one of the best, I took a pic of this view of the Coatbridge sky at dusk during half time.

View from Cliftonhill , Coatbridge, 20th Mar 07.jpg

Image result for cliftonhill albion rovers

Not the best view from a stand in Scottish football

Related image

Albion Rovers v Dumbarton, 02 Dec 06.jpg

Edited by CityDave

I agree with you. We only came out after Aberdeen & Dundee Utd spoke out. In terms of the 11 clubs outwith Rangers, we were one of the first in that case.

I was disappointed with my board in not leading the way & have to give great credit to Aberdeen & Utd for how they stood strong on this front. Even now the Celtic board continue to disappoint. I'm not beating a Killie fan with that stick though. Just saying it as it is. Their club were the biggest shitebags during that period & our fans haven't forgotten it. No doubt if we can clinch a title there though, many will put their moral stance to the side.

Right get back on track....I'm a wee bit of a stadium lover too lol.

We were only the 5th club to state our intentions. It was the decisive vote as well if I remember and led to the Daily Record headline: "Dons send Gers down".

Celtic were very slow to declare their opposition to newco joining the SPL, hence the "Your Silence Was Deafening" banner when we played you on the first day of the season that year.

10 minutes ago, CityDave said:

'Tis one of the strange things this about Cliftonhill home of Albion Rovers is that there is perfectly fine piece of covered terracing opposite the Main Stand that could be used and provide a better view of the football match. Has this covered standing area been used in recent times, its been a while since I've been there?

Oh and if the ground isn't one of the best, I took a pic of this view of the Coatbridge sky at dusk during half time.

View from Cliftonhill , Coatbridge, 20th Mar 07.jpg

Image result for albion rovers cliftonhill

That section is condemned (don't know why though; perhaps an Albion fan can tell us exactly what's wrong with it?). Mind you I do seem to recall that the old main stand at Firhill was seemingly unusable but was then suddenly pressed back in to service despite having no hot water and no catering facilities.

22 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Brechin City might have a hedge running up the side of the pitch, but in Orissaare in Estonia, they boast a massive oak tree near the centre circle. 

46600a.aspx?width=870

More effective than Andy Barrowman for us, more movement than Christian Nadé when at Hearts. Almost as big and as solid as Marvin Andrews.

Edited by CityDave

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That section is condemned (don't know why though; perhaps an Albion fan can tell us exactly what's wrong with it?). Mind you I do seem to recall that the old main stand at Firhill was seemingly unusable but was then suddenly pressed back in to service despite having no hot water and no catering facilities.

There was an article a couple of years ago about the club doing some work on it and bringing up the capacity. No idea if this work has been carried out. Probably worthwhile since their Main Stand is even worse than the away end at Celtic Park for getting an unobstructed view of the pitch. I always stand at the railings in front of the stand when there. 

Maybe they meant this terracing behind one of the goals

Image result for albion rovers stadium

1 minute ago, CityDave said:

There was an article a couple of years ago about the club doing some work on it and bringing up the capacity. No idea if this work has been carried out. Probably worthwhile since their Main Stand is even worse than the away end at Celtic Park for getting an unobstructed view of the pitch. I always stand at the railings in front of the stand when there. 

Maybe they meant this terracing behind one of the goals

Image result for albion rovers stadium

I might be in that picture. 

Davie fucking pipe doon with your Celtic pish ffs.

CityDave etc carry on great stuff.

Coatbridge is the most bizarre ground I've been to, just the norm now, but when you first turn up outside and see the big stupid looking red and yellow metal shed from the roadside you can't help but feel like it's some kind of factory/warehouse. Show it to someone who's never been and they'll never believe you that it's a football ground.