Squad face Lithuania & Slovakia next month

Lee Wallace is in the squad, as  WGS can keep a eye on the wee grass, otherwise he would be renting his arse on Lithuanian TV or probably worse,  in their dressing room with the loose lips..

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

Why is Lee Wallace in the squad?

Douglas and Kingsley are miles better

So is Shinnie, but if you're not playing LB for your club then you can't for your country

That's plenty, as the popular meme goes.

3 hours ago, forameus said:

Aye, it's only Lithuania.  Clearly we should be playing two strikers, as that will obviously lead to more goals.  Just like Georgia.  :rolleyes:  

We should be taking full points from them, but going into the game thinking we can just play another striker because we'll pump them is setting ourselves up for a fall.  To be honest, even saying, as above, that Slovenia and Lithuania are "no good" is setting ourselves up.  The players need to go out treating it like any other game.  Not like they did in Georgia, where it was clear they thought they needed to turn up.  Not like they have in games they know are must win.  Just go out, beat what's in front of us, and move on to the next.

I completely disagree with this. It's the same with Scottish sides away from home in Europe. We pay these sides too much respect and cack our pants playing them. Go out and treat it as a game where we should be dominating and winning. Treating them like Germany or Spain is daft - they aren't Germany or Spain.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

I completely disagree with this. It's the same with Scottish sides away from home in Europe. We pay these sides too much respect and cack our pants playing them. Go out and treat it as a game where we should be dominating and winning. Treating them like Germany or Spain is daft - they aren't Germany or Spain.

Which isn't what I said at all.  When I say "Just go out, beat what's in front of us, and move on to the next", I'm meaning exactly what you're saying.  We should be going out to win every game we play.  It doesn't matter if it's Lithuania, or Malta, or Slovenia, or Slovakia.  Every single one of them we're capable of beating, without going into the "oh, we'll just go and gie it our best so we wull"

Like I said elsewhere, there's a middle ground to be had between thinking we'll get beat off diddies, and believing we're going to win easily, so f**k playing a system we actually do well in, let's throw another striker on.

I'd have Wallace out, no real need for 3 LBs.

Robertson and Tierney are miles ahead of him so waste of a position. If you must include a third LB then Kingsley at a push as he can play CB and is playing for Swansea atm.

Team will be same as malta i would think with Martin out and Fletcher in. Possibly Mcarthur in for Bannan. 

Squad is bang on for me apart from Wallace which has been highlighted, would of had Kingsley in there instead. McKay could learn from Ritchie and Snodgrass so not really fussed he's included. Fletcher should start due to Lithuania likely to sit in plus Griffiths is just back from injury. Although I seen he got 25 minutes and a goal Saturday.

I expect Fletcher to start up front vs Lithuania. Interesting how we used Burke vs Malta as a no 10., and it seems he has been used as such, and as an out and out striker, in his short time with Leipzig. Maybe he ticks more of the 'battering ram' boxes that we might need to break Lithuania down? I don't think that's what Strachan will do, but it'd be an interesting approach.

3 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Why is Lee Wallace in the squad?

Douglas and Kingsley are miles better

So is Shinnie, but if you're not playing LB for your club then you can't for your country

I'm convinced that having both McKay and Wallace in the squad has more to do with the powers that be attempting to give the notoriously fickle Rangers fans a reason to cheer Scotland on rather than England/Holland/France etc. Its a political choice. If they are in there on ability then maybe Strachan could look at the wealth of talent at St.Johnstone, Motherwell, Dundee or even Inverness CT and why stop there why not Hibs, QotS or Dundee Utd players. The league a team played in never stopped selection previously. I mean if Barrie McKay and Lee Wallace can make this squad there is no reason Liam Polworth and or Brad McKay shouldn't be included as well. :)

Was never a fan for us to go 1 up top as I felt we never had the players to get us into the game,  but I'm encouraged after our last match that we now have the arsenal to hurt teams with snoddy and burke breaking forward. 

Fletcher is starting to find the net regular at club level and he will get much better service for scotland with those two now in the team. I am very optimistic about our chances,  if we can somehow managed to get 3 points in slovakia it's game on for this group.  I think we will hump Lithuania convinsgly this time.

Wallace has no idea to defend, absolutely stupid to have him in there. He'll never be a regular so what's the point?

Biggest worry if the fact Strachan sees the likes of Hamilton, Paterson, McKay and Forrest as integral parts of the "next generation". The two wingers are bang average Scottish domestic players, Paterson is a fucking moron and constantly loses his position while Hamiltons performance two weeks ago (in front of Strachan) was one of the most inept I've seen in the top flight, beautifully summed up by him failing to hold a shot going miles over the bar and having to claw it off the line.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wallace has no idea to defend, absolutely stupid to have him in there. He'll never be a regular so what's the point?

Biggest worry if the fact Strachan sees the likes of Hamilton, Paterson, McKay and Forrest as integral parts of the "next generation". The two wingers are bang average Scottish domestic players, Paterson is a fucking moron and constantly loses his position while Hamiltons performance two weeks ago (in front of Strachan) was one of the most inept I've seen in the top flight, beautifully summed up by him failing to hold a shot going miles over the bar and having to claw it off the line.

Considering Clark was much better on the day I'm surprised he's not decided to give him some squad experience. 

He took it upon himself to knock Andrew Davies clean out without even touching the ball. Looked very nervous.

Archived