Slovakia v Scotland

callum-ayr

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yip, a particularly resilient myth, that one.

Not only do we tend to lose to the big guns, we've developed a habit of regarding such games as impossible to take anything from.

It's not just these games where we play down expectations - we do it against the so-called minnows as well.

It's all and well giving respect to teams - we just seem to give far too much.

The reason that the Irish Hoofballers have been so effective is that they don't seem to give a fekk who they are playing. I'm not advocating going down their physical route - apart from the fact that our players lack the necessary physique - but that same in-your-face mentality would not go amiss.

We're not good enough to sit in and play it tight. Roll the dice and fucking go for it.

Andy Robertson is a good and intelligent enough player to play RB in my opinion. I would find a way to accompany him and Tierney in the side. 

IMG_2492.PNG

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Griffiths up front is also possibly the best option for winding up Skrtel. He's a wee annoyance and will hopefully get him sent off. 

The way Skrtel seems to play, I don't think it matters who you put up front, it's going to wind him up anyway.

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I think McArthur is underrated big time, especially by Strachan who continued to start Fletcher and Bannan ahead of him. Has to start tomorrow, as does Thumb

Agree, Mcarthur is our best central midfielder. Mcarthur was before both Fletcher and Bannan in the pecking order last campaign, another issue which is baffling. 

18 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Agree, Mcarthur is our best central midfielder. Mcarthur was before both Fletcher and Bannan in the pecking order last campaign, another issue which is baffling. 

Another reason why putting the captaincy on someone in particular is so stupid.  It puts pressure to pick said player, when arguably Fletcher should have made way for McArthur.  Just give it to the most experienced one in the starting line-up rather than having the fabled "CAPTAINCY" hanging over selections when it shouldn't.  Fair enough if we've got a must-pick for every single game, but we don't.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Another reason why putting the captaincy on someone in particular is so stupid.  It puts pressure to pick said player, when arguably Fletcher should have made way for McArthur.  Just give it to the most experienced one in the starting line-up rather than having the fabled "CAPTAINCY" hanging over selections when it shouldn't.  Fair enough if we've got a must-pick for every single game, but we don't.

I've thought this about England for a while. Unless you have a player like Gareth Bale who is exponentially better than everyone else and so will always play, just give it to the guy with the most caps. Fletcher was never really outstanding at anything, it was being 7/10 for everything that made him such a good player. Since his illness, he's not at the level where he should be an automatic starter for Scotland.

Archived