Slovakia v Scotland

callum-ayr

2 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

The Slovak's were composed on the ball when they got near our goal and we were not.

They looked very average to begin with, but gradually grew in confidence as they realised just how utterly crap we were.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

Even though they're English and therefore vastly overrated; The thought of Sterling, Vardy Walcott and Rashford potentially running at our defence gives me the fear...

The only good thing will be that Englands inevitable 3/4 nil rout will increase the chances of Southgate getting the full time gig which should provide hilarity once they stumble through this piss poor group to the finals.

Who is McCarthur?

Also why did Strachan suddenly decide that Bannan can play a 'holding' role, and what is his seeming obsession with said role?

He's been playing very well there for Sheffield Wednesday in fairness

Oh how we could do with James McCarthy

Bannan played his best stuff last season for Sheffield Wednesday in behind the striker(s), so it's baffling that Strachan has decided that the Charlie Adam treatment is necessary and punted him into a holding midfield role in which he sprays hopeful-at-best 70-yard long balls into advanced wide areas. I quite like Bannan as a player in the number 10 role, but any deeper (as with the two games in the last week) and he's not nearly as effective. McArthur and a.n.other for me, even although I don't particularly rate his past Scotland performances. Oh, how we could do with having current form and fitness Scott Brown available to us again.

Bannan played his best stuff last season for Sheffield Wednesday in behind the striker(s), so it's baffling that Strachan has decided that the Charlie Adam treatment is necessary and punted him into a holding midfield role in which he sprays hopeful-at-best 70-yard long balls into advanced wide areas. I quite like Bannan as a player in the number 10 role, but any deeper (as with the two games in the last week) and he's not nearly as effective. McArthur and a.n.other for me, even although I don't particularly rate his past Scotland performances. Oh, how we could do with having current form and fitness Scott Brown available to us again.

No he never. He played deep. Very deep and still does. Have you actually ever watched him play for Sheffield Wednesday?

Sits at the back of everything pulling the strings.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No he never. He played deep. Very deep and still does. Have you actually ever watched him play for Sheffield Wednesday?

Sits at the back of everything pulling the strings.

Everything I saw from them last season suggested he was playing much more advanced than in a holding position, but happy to be proven wrong if that's the case. Just makes his lacklustre performances for us bizarre, if so, given how highly their fans rate him.

Everything I saw from them last season suggested he was playing much more advanced than in a holding position, but happy to be proven wrong if that's the case. Just makes his lacklustre performances for us bizarre, if so, given how highly their fans rate him.

The only proof you need is watching him, which you've said you've done. So f**k knows what else I can do if you've actually watched a game and came to that conclusion, he plays centrally and deep, usually just in front of the back 4 playing passes out left and right to the fullbacks or playing passes forward.

Starting at 41 seconds. Vast majority of his Sheff Wed clips are him doing exactly that.

I genuinely don't believe you've watched a Sheff Wed game if you're saying that tbh

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The only proof you need is watching him, which you've said you've done. So f**k knows what else I can do if you've actually watched a game and came to that conclusion, he plays centrally and deep, usually just in front of the back 4 playing passes out left and right to the fullbacks or playing passes forward.

Starting at 41 seconds. Vast majority of his Sheff Wed clips are him doing exactly that.

I genuinely don't believe you've watched a Sheff Wed game if you're saying that tbh

From a few articles I've just read*, it would appear that he is now being deployed as a defensive screen/deep-lying playmaker at Wednesday, having played wider and/or further forward previously. I didn't claim to have watched any full games, only stated that from what I'd seen (in this case highlights and articles, comments from Sheffield fans on videos of his wonder goal last season), he was playing more advanced. No idea why you're being so uppity, pet.

*http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-barry-bannan-is-enjoying-new-owls-role-1-8121148

http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=459856

He's playing deep lad, trust me ;)

Seen Wednesday quite a lot last season, infact there's an Arbroath fan on here who's a good mate of mine living in Sheffield attending games every week. He'd keep you right.

Anyway no really wanting to argue over the detail of it, just saying that he's played deep plenty for Sheff Wed and been very good there.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What a needlessly aggressive response to a very tame post. Mustn't be dealing with all the Strachan bashing very well.

11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He's playing deep lad, trust me ;)

Seen Wednesday quite a lot last season, infact there's an Arbroath fan on here who's a good mate of mine living in Sheffield attending games every week. He'd keep you right.

Anyway no really wanting to argue over the detail of it, just saying that he's played deep plenty for Sheff Wed and been very good there.

Mibbe it just highlights that performing strongly in the English Championship does not an international player make?

I like Bannan, though I think he's had good games and bad games for us. Generally, if the opposition find their rhythm, he doesn't seem to have enough in his locker to turn things around. But if things are going well for us he can look very, very good.

One thing I observed over our two games that both physically and athletically we were second best.

One of WGS reasons for playing Martin and Fletcher up front was because they have good strength to hold up the ball, I thought both were completely dominated, in particular Fletcher, who i thought was rag dolled all night.

For me the only player in our team who could match our opposition for physicality and athleticism was Callum Patterson.

I'm not saying that you need those type of attributes to win games but against certain opposition it helps.

That is something that can't be developed at an adult level, so we are stuck with this problem.

I have a feeling Slovenia will also play a similar robust style of football.

What do you think guys.

2 minutes ago, conley said:

One thing I observed over our two games that both physically and athletically we were second best.

One of WGS reasons for playing Martin and Fletcher up front was because they have good strength to hold up the ball, I thought both were completely dominated, in particular Fletcher, who i thought was rag dolled all night.

For me the only player in our team who could match our opposition for physicality and athleticism was Callum Patterson.

I'm not saying that you need those type of attributes to win games but against certain opposition it helps.

That is something that can't be developed at an adult level, so we are stuck with this problem.

What do you think guys.

:lol: Yes it is

What do you think guys.

I think you're talking utter guff! Aye, all those weights and running people lift and do don't develop them. What a wannabe-pundit-speak fandan.

Edit: i can't wait to hear the furious back track, telling us what you really meant which turns out to still be utter guff.

What do you think guys.

We are missing natural leaders on the park and from watching my team suffer from it, a lack of a nasty b*****d in the middle of the pitch.

We are missing natural leaders on the park and from watching my team suffer from it, a lack of a nasty b*****d in the middle of the pitch.

We don't have many leaders at all at this moment or a nasty player. Unless we cap Murray Davidson

13 minutes ago, Wren Road said:

We don't have many leaders at all at this moment or a nasty player. Unless we cap Murray Davidson

There was talk on the radio last night of coaxing Scott Brown out of retirement for the England game. I liked Brown when he was playing for us, but it's really not the direction we should be going in now.

Archived