Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

12 hours ago, Lex said:

Quite an interesting story from Lithuania during the week. There an 'anti emigration' party came from nowhere to win the election.

They ran on a promise to limit the amount of young Lithuanians leaving the country and going to places like... well places like Britain. Over half the emigrants leaving there have came here since 2004 and their population has fell by 10% as a result, and they won. Can understand why, if that continues they'll hardly be anyone left in the east of Europe in a generation.

The free movement of people isn't working on both sides of the divide. The brain drain of talent from east to west is causing problems on both sides of the continent, and it's about to end.

Is it ? Presumably when you use the phrase "brain drain" you mean draining that country of it's skilled workforce.  Why will those same Lithuanians not be able to come and work in the UK if brexit ever happens ?

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Never mind quoting the Daily Mail front page you are not by any chance writing it ???

Next you'll be telling us that a car company deciding to maintain it's present workforce in Britain is wroth celebrating as if they had announced 30,000 new jobs being created.  Oh wait a second......they already have (as did the PM embarassingly)

Given the doomsday scenario being painted by the leave campaign, the Nissan decision is very welcome. 

Would you rather they decided to transfer production elsewhere just to try and prove that Brexit will cause untold misery to millions?  Perhaps you would have taken the redundancy letters round the worker's doors personally and let them know that this is exactly what they voted for???

34 minutes ago, strichener said:

Given the doomsday scenario being painted by the leave campaign, the Nissan decision is very welcome. 

Would you rather they decided to transfer production elsewhere just to try and prove that Brexit will cause untold misery to millions?  Perhaps you would have taken the redundancy letters round the worker's doors personally and let them know that this is exactly what they voted for???

I didn't say it isn't welcome (my nephew works there) it was the reaction to the news. It was celebrated like a massive job creation would have been. If any company deciding NOT to quit Britain is front page news, you know we are in deep shit.

I'm certain that there has been some sort of memorandum of understanding here for Nissan but I don't know what it could be around.

The press have called it a "sweetheart deal" but my only worry is that a lot of banks or institutions will be looking for this kind of deal now.

So much for Brexit means Brexit eh? 

2 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

That's a typical anti-Brexit article from the BBC. It's been running interviews like that for the last few months.

Where are the statistics on the percentage of Poles, backed by polling or other research, that are planning to leave?

Claiming that Brexit is already delivering what was promised is hardly an anti-Brexit article.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I didn't say it isn't welcome (my nephew works there) it was the reaction to the news. It was celebrated like a massive job creation would have been. If any company deciding NOT to quit Britain is front page news, you know we are in deep shit.

But it wasn't any company.  It was one of the companies that had it's Chief Executive warning of the dire consequences of Brexit and had been since 2013.  Any company that commits to investing in the UK is to be welcomed, regardless if it is a new company or one that already has factories here. 

It's welcome news but this cannot be passed off as pro-Brexit.
Foreign companies like Nissan have the UK over the barrel now and damn well they know it.

Who's next in the long line of companies looking for similar "sweetheart" deals?
What happens if deals cannot be reached? Are those UK jobs lost?

The UK is fucked. This proves it IMO.

It's welcome news but this cannot be passed off as pro-Brexit.
Foreign companies like Nissan have the UK over the barrel now and damn well they know it.

Who's next in the long line of companies looking for similar "sweetheart" deals?
What happens if deals cannot be reached? Are those UK jobs lost?

The UK is fucked. This proves it IMO.

What deal was made?

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

What deal was made?

They're keeping the details a secret, but it's not brain science. A minister flew to Tokyo with a letter for Nissan last week. And David Davis said in July:

Mr Davis examined what the UK might offer car manufacturers if the EU imposes tariffs on carmakers after Brexit. “People seem to forget that the British government will be in receipt of over £2bn of levies on EU cars alone. There is nothing to stop us supporting our indigenous car industry to make it more competitive if we so chose.” 

Mr Davis said World Trade Organisation rules would not allow the UK explicitly to offset the levies charged. “But we could do a great deal to support the industry if we wanted to. Research support, investment tax breaks, lower vehicle taxes — there are a whole range of possibilities to protect the industry,” he said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-nissan-support-idUKKCN12R1AK?mod=related&channelName=businessNews

https://www.ft.com/content/304e55ce-9d00-11e6-8324-be63473ce146

So how does this set a precedent when nobody knows if a deal has been done and under what terms.

The UK is still subject to EU rules for state subsidies and therefore I would suspect that nothing has been offered at this time.

16 minutes ago, strichener said:

So how does this set a precedent when nobody knows if a deal has been done and under what terms.

The UK is still subject to EU rules for state subsidies and therefore I would suspect that nothing has been offered at this time.

Do you honestly think Nissan made a volte face because a UK minister gave Nissan a letter saying "Pretty please.", after they demanded guarantees? The EU has nothing to do with promises made about what happens in hypothetical situations after Brexit. Any company contemplating a significant investment in the UK would be negligent in not demanding similar guarantees.

Edited by welshbairn

Do you honestly think Nissan made a volte face because a UK minister gave Nissan a letter saying "Pretty please.", after they demanded guarantees? The EU has nothing to do with promises made about what happens in hypothetical situations after Brexit. Any company contemplating a significant investment in the UK would be negligent in not demanding similar guarantees.

No I don't think they gave them a letter saying pretty please. Companies look for government guarantees all the time. This happened before Brexit and will continue afterwards. What those guarantees prove to be worth is anyone's guess.

Nissan's own boss in the UK has denied that there is any specific deal or promises for Nissan and just a general agreement to work with the industry to mitigate Brexit implications for motor manufacturers. Are you suggesting that he is lying?

Looks from this that the leftards would have been happier if Nissan had opted to leave Wearside.

Of course they would, despite saying the want what's best for Britain many are desperate for bad news to undermine confidence in the British economy, I would have preferred the result to keep us in the EU but it makes no sense whatsoever to hope the country fails on exiting Europe, for any of us!!

1 hour ago, RedRob72 said:

Of course they would, despite saying the want what's best for Britain many are desperate for bad news to undermine confidence in the British economy, I would have preferred the result to keep us in the EU but it makes no sense whatsoever to hope the country fails on exiting Europe, for any of us!!

My f**k, we've had nawbags, BBC and MSM all wetting their knickers everytime Scotlands economy looks like taking a dip even although Holyrood has next to no control over it's own economy.

My f**k, we've had nawbags, BBC and MSM all wetting their knickers everytime Scotlands economy looks like taking a dip even although Holyrood has next to no control over it's own economy.

The parallel isn't quite there though is it, I haven't heard anyone suggesting that our economy is suffering because of the Sept 2014 Indy Ref result?

42 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

The parallel isn't quite there though is it, I haven't heard anyone suggesting that our economy is suffering because of the Sept 2014 Indy Ref result?

And how would you judge whether the status quo has caused a dip or not?

Come on to f**k.
Most of us on here have to go out and work. Do you really think we want to see the economy fucked again through no fault of our own again?
I don't work in banking or the car industry,when am I allowed to worry about my future?

Come on to f**k.
Most of us on here have to go out and work. Do you really think we want to see the economy fucked again through no fault of our own again?
I don't work in banking or the car industry,when am I allowed to worry about my future?

Not at all, but there are many fellow remain voters who currently seem to be taking delight in a smug 'we told you so' stance on anything they perceive to be a negative news story attributed to the Brexit decision. Talking the country down doesn't ease anyone's worries, irrespective of the sector they work within.