Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Was there not a reported increase in people applying for dual citizenship with EU countries in order to retain EU citizenship? Did anyone here do this?

Looked into it with the Irish side of my family (celtic fan Irish! Lmao, rofl etc) but couldn't track down the correct birth certificates

I have dual Irish/UK citizenship; thanks to my mum being born in Ireland.
Can't stand Celtic mind....

Both my dad's parents are from Sligo so he's the same but tbh, he wasn't aware of that until I started looking into it. I would have had to apply for the foreign births register but when the birth certificates never appeared where we expected them to be, I put it on the back burner

Both my dad's parents are from Sligo so he's the same but tbh, he wasn't aware of that until I started looking into it. I would have had to apply for the foreign births register but when the birth certificates never appeared where we expected them to be, I put it on the back burner

Aye, automatic citizenship only going through parentage but you are right re. Foreign birth register; you can apply through grandparents... good chance u may get it. However your father can apply directly for passport if he has one of his parents birth certs.
With regards to yourself you should do what you can to get it. It's a bit more complicated but you will probably be successful. The Irish passport is suddenly a very very important one to hold.

Aye, automatic citizenship only going through parentage but you are right re. Foreign birth register; you can apply through grandparents... good chance u may get it. However your father can apply directly for passport if he has one of his parents birth certs.
With regards to yourself you should do what you can to get it. It's a bit more complicated but you will probably be successful. The Irish passport is suddenly a very very important one to hold.

If I get the documents then I will get it, but there have been issues with that. My gran is still alive but well beyond the stage where she would have a clue where anything is. We need the birth and marriage certificate of one of the grandparents (death one if applying through my grandad). We have a mix match of different ones but not a full set for either of them

I can apply to get copies of them from Ireland but they want originals for applying to the register. I'll maybe pop over to Sligo at some point and see what the family there have

If I get the documents then I will get it, but there have been issues with that. My gran is still alive but well beyond the stage where she would have a clue where anything is. We need the birth and marriage certificate of one of the grandparents (death one if applying through my grandad). We have a mix match of different ones but not a full set for either of them

I can apply to get copies of them from Ireland but they want originals for applying to the register. I'll maybe pop over to Sligo at some point and see what the family there have

Good luck, hopefully you will get it sorted

I was initially going for Italian citizenship but never realised my grandmother had renounced her citizenship to take up British after she moved here after the war, so couldn't pursue that further

Would be even harder to get her records though. Born 1916 and a lot records in Italy were lost and destroyed during the war

For all the fuss about passports, is it not likely than unless you wish to move to another for country for work (which I'd suggest the vast majority of people don't) the most travel based inconvenience you'll be caused is at worst having to fill out a visa application on line before a holiday or using the non EU passport line?

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

For all the fuss about passports, is it not likely than unless you wish to move to another for country for work (which I'd suggest the vast majority of people don't) the most travel based inconvenience you'll be caused is at worst having to fill out a visa application on line before a holiday or using the non EU passport line?

What about people who just want to travel round for a bit, picking up jobs at random, when they're young usually? New rules are coming in to make it far more difficult for non EU citizens to work, much more so than before we got freedom of movement. I also fucking hate queuing at airports. What are we actually gaining for this annoyance? A serious shortage of people to pick our veg and work in hospitality, the NHS etc, etc..

Edited by welshbairn

I've always liked the idea of living in Italy for a bit and get my Italian up to scratch. I've looked at possibilities for after I finish my PGDE so for the want of a couple of hundred quid it would be good to always have that opportunity if ever it arises

I've been doing my family tree, and found out that the uk government destroyed the irish records to cover up how many people died in the famine
I suspect that this is shite.

Largely because the uk goverment never showed any concern about the famine at all.

Much more likely that records were "lost" so that people couldn't claim land inheritances and the land could be redistributed in the most profitable manner.

3 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

I've always liked the idea of living in Italy for a bit and get my Italian up to scratch. I've looked at possibilities for after I finish my PGDE so for the want of a couple of hundred quid it would be good to always have that opportunity if ever it arises

If I was in your situation I'd be looking in to how strictly the Italians look at possibly destroyed records from either wars. or even if she renounced her citizenship in extreme circumstances.

If I was in your situation I'd be looking in to how strictly the Italians look at possibly destroyed records from either wars. or even if she renounced her citizenship in extreme circumstances.

Na, it's a no go because at the time, Italians couldn't take dual citizenship, they'd forfeit it if they took another country. Any right we have to therefore claim it went with that also. She didn't have to renounce it, many Italians who stayed didn't but she had married a British 'subject' and had her family here so it was the easiest way to make a fresh start.

My aunt who was born in Italy, raised in Glasgow then lived in Rome for almost 40 years is unable to claim citizenship for the same reason. Automatically became Italian at birth but lost it when she got British citizenship. Was never able to get it back even though she was born there