Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

42 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Sajid Javid (and others) insisting the UK is leaving the EU on the 31st despite the legal requirement for a request to an Article 50 extension, in the even of there being No Deal in place. Nobody is prepared to reveal how this could happen without breaking the law, which is causing much speculation regarding some kind of cunning plan.

Could it be they are counting on an EU country (Hungary, perhaps) to veto the possibility of the EU granting an extension to Article 50?

How else might they get round the so called Benn Act?

ETA.... Hearing that the Lib Dems will not agree to a VONC in the Gov/t as it would lead to Corbyn becoming PM.

How stupid are they?

They're politicians.

30 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

I know. But surely the grown-ups can persuade them both to accept a slight detachment from their beloved EU and UK? This is a microcosm of the whole problem in Ireland (imho). It's in the genes of the Irish and the Scots. Too similar - could  start an argument in an empty house, too much fondness for the drink and can both nurse a grievance for centuries. Not that I approve of stereotypes or anything.

I know I'm getting on a bit, but that's a gross exaggeration...

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

That's why the EU are quietly desperate to avoid a no deal Brexit. The only way to preserve the integrity of the Single Market and the Good Friday Agreement would be to have an effective border on the Channel, undermining Ireland part in it and the "all for one and one for all" coda. Otherwise I think they've had enough and would happily be shot of us. I also doubt they'd be happy to see a referendum 2 voting Remain, another decade of the whining British mad men not being able to decide what they want.

The whining will continue under all circumstances, whether we leave the EU or not.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Sajid Javid (and others) insisting the UK is leaving the EU on the 31st despite the legal requirement for a request to an Article 50 extension, in the even of there being No Deal in place. Nobody is prepared to reveal how this could happen without breaking the law, which is causing much speculation regarding some kind of cunning plan.

Could it be they are counting on an EU country (Hungary, perhaps) to veto the possibility of the EU granting an extension to Article 50?

How else might they get round the so called Benn Act?

ETA.... Hearing that the Lib Dems will not agree to a VONC in the Gov/t as it would lead to Corbyn becoming PM.

How stupid are they?

Corbyn is not going to lead a Labour majority government.  Minority government at most.  In which case, the Lib Dems would be able to specify the terms in which they would support a Labour government.  Unfortunately they still remember how weak and ineffective they were in the previous coalition and do not want to go through that again.

Since the Liberal Democrats are even less likely to form a majority government, this begs the question:  what sort of government do they wqnt?

All the more reason to be independent. The union corrupted this country...

This is tragic bollocks.  The Weege is a city up to its neck in Empire and in retained wealth.  A city whose industry developed first on cotton from Scots-owned and slave-laboured cotton plantations whose raw material was sent back to Glasgow for processing to tobacco from Scots-owned and slave-laboured tobacco plantations in the Indies.  Not forgetting sugar plantations - owned and operated by Scots with slave labour.  
Once it was cheaper to refine tobacco and cotton elsewhere Glasgow moved on to metal refining and metal bashing to provide and provided many hundreds of thousands with employment from shipyards on the Clyde to steel foundries in Motherwell - all oiling the Scottish economy and all enriching Scottish employees, managers and factory owners.
You said, "Much of the nation became an isolated backwater and people became our greatest export." and this is a damnable lie.  It was the Union and Empire allied with the Protestant Reformation which saved Scotland from being a provincial backwater.  Yes, we exported people but, more importantly, we exported manufactured goods and, more significantly, our post-Reformation learning ranging from the educated Scots who ran the East India Company and the Hudson's Bay Company to writing the blueprint of the modern world's economy.

4 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

If it's not short selling motivating Brexit for the rich, it must be the Singapore idea, deregulation of markets, cutting taxes and emasculating workers rights.

27 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If it's not short selling motivating Brexit for the rich, it must be the Singapore idea, deregulation of markets, cutting taxes and emasculating workers rights.

Chewing gum sales will also rise round Westminster when the Tories realise they'll get 30 skelps on the arse with a cane for it. 

I'd imagine they'll stall until it's too late for the courts to stop us crashing out on Oct 31st.

There is a term in Scots Law whereby the court can sign a letter/deed/title on someone’s behalf and the standing in law is that this means the same as the person/organisation signing it themselves. Essentially if the UK gv’t refuses to sign the letter mandated by the Benn act the court of session can be petitioned to sign it on their behalf. It would be glorious to see it happen. Absolutely glorious. The scenes would be tremendous! The seethe would be wonderful.

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

There is a term in Scots Law whereby the court can sign a letter/deed/title on someone’s behalf and the standing in law is that this means the same as the person/organisation signing it themselves. Essentially if the UK gv’t refuses to sign the letter mandated by the Benn act the court of session can be petitioned to sign it on their behalf. It would be glorious to see it happen. Absolutely glorious. The scenes would be tremendous! The seethe would be wonderful.

I read about this. How would it work? Would they sign it with an X and write "(his mark)" beside it or maybe "pp Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson"? I would like it if they added a smiley face. 😊

Edited by Fullerene

Aren't there hearings on that this week?

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I read about this. How would it work? Would they sign it with an X and write "(his mark)" beside it or maybe "pp Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson"? I would like it if they added a smiley face. 😊

A wee cocknballs would be better.  (8::::::D)

Swinson reaffirming that she won’t back Corbyn for temporary PM.  

Blackford appears to be getting pissed off that people say they want to guarantee no Hard Brexit but won’t take the necessary action.

Swinson reaffirming that she won’t back Corbyn for temporary PM.  
Blackford appears to be getting pissed off that people say they want to guarantee no Hard Brexit but won’t take the necessary action.

The only was to guarantee no hard Brexit is to agree a deal before the end of the month.