Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

20 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So special deal for NI but nothing for Scotland, why are they being rewarded for having bigots in charge?

Naw. They are being rewarded for demonstrating that having a totally dysfunctional government is the way forward. You didn't think Boris thought that up on his own - did you?

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I honestly think that Johnson is so vain/arrogant/thick that he actually expects the EU to accede to his seven-page document.

For their part, the EU should now reply, politely but firmly, in the negative following a period of close examination whilst emphasising that they remain open to further concessions by the UK.

The narrative now is just 'get it done', but we must not allow Brexit to occur thro impatience or boredom - I'd rather wait an hour for decent grub than be served dog food in five minutes.

I have every faith that Barnier and Co will hold firm.

But you're an anorexic who is only pretending to want any sort of food.

It’s definitely closing in on crunch time.
Early commentators indicating the ”deal” doesn’t do enough to satisfy the EU. Also, movement from a number of rebel Tory and Labour MPs reportedly “for” the deal (although that means f**k all if the EU don’t go for it)
Boris hoping the EU say “no” and he can blame them.
The EU will hopefully make noises about it being a good basis for further discussions and pass the ball back to Johnston.
Eventually no further movement and with a prorogue now likely in the next couple of weeks, it’ll be close to the 17th Oct date for the “surrender” bill to kick in.
What’ll it be? - deal or Benn Bill and extension with an election to follow?
How likely would it be for Brexit to be delayed but then the Tories/Brexit Party get in and take us over the cliff?

38 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Being floated that a “number” of Labour MPs will vote for Johnson’s proposal.

Not sure if it will be put to Parliament before it is rejected by the EU.

My understanding is that a substantial number of Labour MPs will vote for Johnson's proposal if it is put to a referendum.

But as you say, it is likely to be rejected by the EU - - mainly because Ireland are not going to be happy with it.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

I may well be off the mark, but going by the first reactions to this new proposal, it might actually pass in parliament. Doesn't seem anywhere near the vitroil there was compared to May's deal (even though it's basically a glamed up version of it) The DUP now onboard and thanks to a few extra million ; ERG - awfae quiet tonight - considering Bill Cash, Francois, John Redwood are never off the airwaves or screen when a big day of Brexit news occurs ; plus the Labour MPs for a deal - Kinnock, Flint etc.

Then again it's not up to parliament, we'll see what the EU say.

Quite amazing though, this is pretty much May's deal yet somehow it may or has a greater chance of success because it's being delivered by a liar rather than a robot.

10 hours ago, Kejan said:

I may well be off the mark, but going by the first reactions to this new proposal, it might actually pass in parliament...

It will never get that far. There's zero chance the EU accepts this so it's all empty posturing on the path to a hard Brexit, or perhaps more importantly for Boris the path to an extension forced by the other parties and an early election in which lots of seething leave voters give him an outright majority so he can try to sort something out without needing DUP support.

So in 2 months the PM has come up with a revised deal which seems to be getting positive reviews by MPs and could be passed by parliament, over to the EU to see if they can make it work now.

Merkel to phone up Leo Varadkar shortly to say keep quiet and we'll give you some euro.

Making it a compromise deal on both sides is a great bit of spin as well.

We could always put the remainer MPs solution to the EU though but I can't remember what they agreed upon in the last 3 years.

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Seems pretty solid from what I've read. Johnson will likely ignore it or try some scam that will be outlawed by the courts, the extension will be granted and the Tories will call it a surrender coup and fight the election on being on the people's side against Establishment Corbyn. 

That's my rough take on it too but the way it's been reported it's as if this law doesn't exist.  Even those opposed to a hard Brexit don't seem to mention it's existence.

Don’t want to sound over dramatic but if the EU accepts this it could be the beginning of the end for the whole setup.

Growing right wing nationalists in Europe are waiting to see what compromises will be made and these proposals cut right across the red lines that the EU have previously set to ensure the integrity of the single market.

Edited by Granny Danger