Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

On 11/10/2019 at 15:35, welshbairn said:

Wasn't claiming it was, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility for the Brexiteers being persuaded to revert to their pre-referendum positions of  Switzerland/Norway if it's either that or no Brexit from a referendum. They could be too far down the road of scorched earth nihilism though.

You're havin' a laff.  Fingers in ears, la la la la, Rule Britannia, f**k Johnny foreigner, plucky English, the blitz, Dunkirk spirit ( they ran away) bacon, real ale, (ok, I'll give them that) Cadbury's chocolate (not much cocoa), etc, etc.

Or am I just being as bad as them?

Nope, had a think, they're caucs.

Edited by cyderspaceman

3 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

You're havin' a laff.  Fingers in ears, la la la la, Rule Britannia, f**k Johnny foreigner, plucky English, the blitz, Dunkirk spirit ( they ran away) bacon, real ale, (ok, I'll give them that) Cadbury's chocolate (not much cocoa), etc, etc.

Or am I just being as bad as them?

Nope, had a think, they're caucs.

they?

Latest leak from "the tunnel"...

The UK leaves the Customs Union however the EU Tariff regime will continue to be applied to NI - reminds me of the old Sellafield joke where radiation emissions were to be renamed magic moonbeams.

Unlikely to get through Parliament but I guess the plan will be to go for a GE blaming "the liberal elite" then full steam ahead for BJ & his neo-liberal cronies to get back to dismantling the Welfare State.

10 minutes ago, btb said:

Latest leak from "the tunnel"...

The UK leaves the Customs Union however the EU Tariff regime will continue to be applied to NI - reminds me of the old Sellafield joke where radiation emissions were to be renamed magic moonbeams.

Unlikely to get through Parliament but I guess the plan will be to go for a GE blaming "the liberal elite" then full steam ahead for BJ & his neo-liberal cronies to get back to dismantling the Welfare State.

If that's his plan then Farage's lot will stand in the GE and deprive the Tories of a majority.

A further referendum is the only solution.

Farage is fucked after his party spokesmen/women went against him over the Johnson v Supreme Court thing. The brexiteers will vote Tory in a GE, just like UKIP collapsed last time around after winning the EU Parliament vote. The question is whether the polls are hiding a potential surge in Labour again. Don't see how a referendum before a GE is practical, given the time it needs to set one up, and carrying on this absurd government who can't win votes in parliament for another 6 months.

19 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
24 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
You know, fatigue may just pass this deal

Given these reopened negotiations are taking place at the last minute I can see the EU saying that's it, no extension, pass this final WA or GTF. At that point its game over and parliament will have to aye it.

Think you're right. The opposition have been useless, can't agree on a leader and can only get a majority to postpone yet again, with no alternative. The EU have serious business coming up, agreeing a budget for the next 7 years, they can't be arsed with this shit anymore. 

Think you're right. The opposition have been useless, can't agree on a leader and can only get a majority to postpone yet again, with no alternative. The EU have serious business coming up, agreeing a budget for the next 7 years, they can't be arsed with this shit anymore. 
Means Boris won't need the DUP and he won't need to ask for the extension either, also means we'll get the election sooner rather than later as it can't carry on like this.

8 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Means Boris won't need the DUP and he won't need to ask for the extension either, also means we'll get the election sooner rather than later as it can't carry on like this.

Think he's got the DUP onside anyway given the comeback they're getting from all the business and farming reps in NI over their intransigence. There would probably need to be a "technical" extension just to get the legislation through Parliament though, hopefully just enough to allow a December election which would give me a nice Christmas bonus from a bet.

56 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Given these reopened negotiations are taking place at the last minute I can see the EU saying that's it, no extension, pass this final WA or GTF. At that point its game over and parliament will have to aye it.

Nah, they'll still agree an extension if asked.

8 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Tonnes of crops left to rot as farms struggle to recruit EU workers

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/11/tonnes-of-crops-left-to-rot-as-farms-struggle-to-recruit-eu-workers

Turkeys not happy about the Christmas they voted for.

If ever schadenfreude was justifiable.

What do these farmers reckon is going to happen in years to come?

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Well, well, another day and suddenly the Brexit mirage begins to recede a little as everyone realises that the 'pathway' likely involves shafting the DUP, and the head of steam for a second referendum grows steadily.

How long can Johnson maintain the pretence ?

Depends on how much cash he will have to bung the DUP to gain their support.

10 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Tonnes of crops left to rot as farms struggle to recruit EU workers

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/11/tonnes-of-crops-left-to-rot-as-farms-struggle-to-recruit-eu-workers

Turkeys not happy about the Christmas they voted for.

Then again if foreign workers picked all the fruits then that would leave leave voters with nothing but leaves. Oh dear, I better leave out these puns and just leave now.

I bought the Sunday Times today for the first time in ages.  Extensive and seemingly well informed articles and opinions about the latest Brexit situation.

Johnson is on the ropes big time. Any opposition MP who aides and abets him in getting through a deal is betraying everyone who voted for them.

I see Nigel Dodds the deputy leader of the DUP is being reported in the media as saying the deal "cannot work because Northern Ireland has to remain fully part of the UK customs union"
Not surprising - Boris's deal is just May's repackaged.

As I keep saying let him get it through on condition there is referendum vs Remain.