Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

That's the thing I find bizarre about this whole 'protest vote' idea, be it here with leaving the EU, or voting in Trump in the States. You've got a sizable number of people voting for things that are going to make them worse off financially, but we're supposed to believe that there's some rationality to it. We're cratering the economy here for a generation, but it's not due to xenophobia; people are fed up with the 'elite', and are practicing self-harm as a result (which anyone in a position of wealth and influence won't care about remotely). Trump voters aren't motivated by fear of 'the other'; they're fed up with the political classes running the country for themselves, and have voted in one of America's most self-centred men to go against an entire lifetime's track record and work for anyone's benefit but his own.

If any of this nonsense is genuinely true, democracy's up a sheuch.

If people only voted for what made them financially better off then the SNP wouldn't stay in power.

43 minutes ago, strichener said:

If people only voted for what made them financially better off then the SNP wouldn't stay in power.

If people only voted for what made them financially better off, things would be no different than the way they are now. No political party caters to every section of society financially. Regardless of who is in power, there is always going to be an utterly pissed off section of society.

Name me countries in the UK with large public sector workforces.

Now name me countries in the UK who have repeatedly undertaken not to have compulsory redundancies in those workforces.

So basically as long as you dont do anything to get the sack you have a job for life even if you have nothing to do?

That might be the 'redeployment bench' I've heard about?

Making no judgement, but the idea there isn't a very strong incentive to continue to vote SNP that has nothing to do with independence is silly.
Taxpayer funded further education
Taxpayer funded prescriptions
Bridge toll abolition
Hospital parking charges removed where possible
A sensible alternative to PFI
Good record of bringing in projects on time and under budget

These are good things the Government has done.

Not sure paying a senior manager 70k a year to sit on the bench for life is one of them.

16 hours ago, zidane's child said:

I hear the term “protest vote” used when people talk about voting leave.

Whatever the f**k that’s supposed to mean.

Seen a good few who were trying to make a statement to the government in a we don't really mean it kind of way.

I guess like people who say "I'm gonnae kill you" but really just mean that they're raging.

I seem to remember the days after the vote a good few people saying they voted to leave as a protest vote but didn't actually believe leave would win.

3 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Seen a good few who were trying to make a statement to the government in a we don't really mean it kind of way.

I guess like people who say "I'm gonnae kill you" but really just mean that they're raging.

I seem to remember the days after the vote a good few people saying they voted to leave as a protest vote but didn't actually believe leave would win.

What a time to indulge in a protest vote against the government - a referendum of constitutional significance with a very slim margin in the polls and where some of the more odious members of the cabinet agreed with your protest. I like to assume idiots of that type were not a significant factor.

Edited by The OP

Worth noting that Granny wasn't trying to be "clever" when voting for Brexit. He was angry about forms to fill out. And then reeled out the stupid "clever vote" bullshit later when called out on it. Basically the same narrow minded stupid selfishness as every other c**t. So he deserves to be derided every single time for it. He's no different from the rest.

Worth noting that Granny wasn't trying to be "clever" when voting for Brexit. He was angry about forms to fill out. And then reeled out the stupid "clever vote" bullshit later when called out on it. Basically the same narrow minded stupid selfishness as every other c**t. So he deserves to be derided every single time for it. He's no different from the rest.

So just to clarify you’re not a big fan of GD’s vote. Should try make that clearer next time.

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Honda seem to taking great pains to emphasize that their decision to close Swansea is unconnected with Brexit.

Could they have been leaned on by the gov/t to say that or am I just being a cynical old git?

They're not closing for three years so if it was Brexit related they could easily have waited till April before deciding. If it was a marginal decision Brexit might have played a part though. The Japan/EU trade deal was probably a bigger factor, and the shift to electric cars.

32 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Ouch, that really hurt.  

Especially coming from a guy who is on his third or fourth account due to bans!

39 minutes ago, The OP said:

What a time to indulge in a protest vote against the government - a referendum of constitutional significance with a very slim margin in the polls and where some of the more odious members of the cabinet agreed with your protest. I like to assume idiots of that type were not a significant factor.

I think there is a need for a book called "Idiot's Guide to Protesting" or "Protesting for Dummies" that outlines what is likely to succeed, what is not likely to succeed and what is very likely to have the exact opposite effect to what you intended.

I always thought he voted Leave in the hope of driving a wedge between Scotland and England? Because voting to make Scotland’s vote more in line with England would help.

Honda seem to taking great pains to emphasize that their decision to close Swansea is unconnected with Brexit.
Could they have been leaned on by the gov/t to say that or am I just being a cynical old git?
They are closing their plant in Turkey as well.

It's a consolidation exercise by the looks of things and partly due to the EU tariffs being reduced to 0.

The Honda EU HQ is remaining in the UK. No idea how big an operation that is.