Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

29 minutes ago, Donathan said:

With the current make up of parliament (ie no GE to change the arithmetic) the only thing that I think has a prayer is the softest of soft Brexits Norway style EEA deal getting cross party support. That would require an extension of A50 for sure, but I could see most of the Tory party supporting this, apart from the ERG, as well as Labour, the SNP, the Lib Dems, possibly TIG

There isn't one Tory that will break ranks never mind the required number (6?).

Also Chukka and co didn't quit Labour to then give Corbyn a big win on Brexit.

21 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Furthermore, if May can get a narrow Tory majority in an election then it means the backstop could be binned as she would no longer rely on DUP votes. The new solution would be a hard sea border between Northern Ireland and rUK and Northern Ireland would get a special status in the customs union.

Leaving aside the huge "if" of any Tory majority, what is your cunning plan for customs and immigration checks at the hard sea border? And are you really suggesting that NI gets special status but the country with the highest remain vote, Scotland, gets dragged out?

The issue now is that we have effectively 5 groups:

The Brexit ultras who want no-deal;

The Tory pro-May group who will snatch at any deal passing to avoid no deal;

The soft Brexit group looking for EEA/EFTA/Single Market Membership or equivalent;

Hard remainers who will vote against any Brexit of any type (SNP, Lib Dems, TIG, etc);

Labour, who will vote against any Tory-led deal, regardless of what's in it. They simply want a catastrophic Brexit that they can blame on the Tories for generations.

To get anything through parliament, you need three of these groups to work together to get a majority.  Sadly, this is impossible. We are stuck, well and truly stuck.

29 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Leaving aside the huge "if" of any Tory majority, what is your cunning plan for customs and immigration checks at the hard sea border? 

That part would be fairly simple, you already get ID checks at the airports and I think the ferries, and I'm sure they do random checks on lorries and cargo too. Much simpler than a land border. Won't happen though, political impossibility and it would probably break the Belfast Agreement.

Six amendments have been submitted for tonight but of course Bercow will decide which one(s) will be called.

Incredibly none from the Labour front bench; that is pretty staggering.

SNP are signatories to an amendment calling for revocation.

May said she would have a free vote but it’s being suggested that she doesn’t want a free vote on the amendments.  I don’t quite get that.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Six amendments have been submitted for tonight but of course Bercow will decide which one(s) will be called.

Incredibly none from the Labour front bench; that is pretty staggering.

SNP are signatories to an amendment calling for revocation.

May said she would have a free vote but it’s being suggested that she doesn’t want a free vote on the amendments.  I don’t quite get that.

She's offered a free vote on the hard core brexity one but not the others AFAIK.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

She's offered a free vote on the hard core brexity one but not the others AFAIK.

Makes her statement about a free vote after last night’s defeat seem duplicitous.  Shouldn’t be surprised by that.

In the middle of this crisis, there is a huge element of black comedy in the fact that the 'natural party of Government' is digging itself further into a hole almost on an hourly basis.

Any moment now we can expect Andrea Leadsom to produce a tumbler and the Scrabble letters, enquiring 'Are you there Mrs Thatcher ?'

There isn't really anything that anyone can say in Parliament that will lead to a "eureka" moment, or get rapturous applause from the house and the whole nation.  So why would anyone bother.

As sad as that sounds, there is nothing out there to be gained at this moment in time by sticking your neck out for what you believe in, large parts of the nation want different things. 

It's little wonder there is inspiring leadership. There is nothing to unite the nation behind.

Depressing. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

There isn't one Tory that will break ranks never mind the required number (6?).

Also Chukka and co didn't quit Labour to then give Corbyn a big win on Brexit.

I'm not suggesting this as a Labour fronted idea, I'm suggesting it could happen if May abandons her deal and champions a soft Brexit.

1 hour ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Leaving aside the huge "if" of any Tory majority, what is your cunning plan for customs and immigration checks at the hard sea border? And are you really suggesting that NI gets special status but the country with the highest remain vote, Scotland, gets dragged out?

Far from impossible that the Tories opt for this if they win a majority in a hypothetical GE.