Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I’m wondering what May can get through her own ranks.  Revocation is obviously out but I imagine a second referendum would be virtually impossible too.

I think the answer to that is “literally nothing”, except perhaps a “no no deal agreement”.

Don't see a 2nd Ref passing in the house at this stage either as vast majority of Tories, possibly some Lab and the DUP will vote against it. Only chance is to come back with her deal+CU, agreed with Corbyn at this stage, vote on it in the next few days with Lab backing, even if around 100 Tories vote against, it should still get through. 

There could still be time for a 2nd Ref but at the moment, it will be all focus on getting any kind of deal through first. Reckon Corbyn would be ill advised to scupper it at the moment in terms of pushing things closer to a No deal, and she can then blame him for that.

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Only chance is to come back with her deal+CU, agreed with Corbyn at this stage, vote on it in the next few days with Lab backing, even if around 100 Tories vote against, it should still get through. 

Her deal plus a custom union is not her deal. It would require the EU putting a long brake on the article 50 and renegotiating. Her deal is the deal with her red lines the EU was willing to offer. 

But she will be replaced as Tory leader so it will not be her negotiating it, thus whoever the ageing fruitcakes who make up the tory party members select between the two choices from their parliamentary party, who will likely be a raging no deal attention seeker, will be going to negotiate for a deal that parliament set for them that they have zero interest in negotiating in good faith. 

The only reason for the EU to accept the obvious nonsense would be to allow time for parliament to fall apart and new elections to be held in case they produced a more pro EU line in Westminster. 

The alternative would be a government of national unity, which would make T May the Tories very own Ramsey Macdonald (ask Granny Danger, he was PM when he was a teenager).

1 hour ago, dorlomin said:

Her deal plus a custom union is not her deal. It would require the EU putting a long brake on the article 50 and renegotiating. Her deal is the deal with her red lines the EU was willing to offer. 

No need, they can just bung the words "aspire to a form of Customs Union" in the Political Declaration and job's done as far as A50 goes so long as Parliament agrees. Then the negotiations start on what kind of Customs Union, red lines etc.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1113460128626376709

Edited by welshbairn

Always knew reading about the Denison Rule - where a Speaker should not create a majority where one does not exist - would one day come in handy...

When democracy becomes nothing more than a Hegelian dialect.

EU= No vote, No voice and No escape.

Euro Army here we come, sorry, here you come. Thinking of being a conscientious objector, Algerian desert jails await your lilly white asses. 

I'll be at the quayside laughing like f**k armed with my reverse Winston gestures.

Lambs to the slaughter, evidence that state run schools have been producing meatballs for 40 years. 

Have fun in the sun. 

Beau Geste? Hardly, more like Beau peep!

Oh, one other thing, ignorance is a choice in this day and age. 

Shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry has written to the shadow cabinet about Labour's negotiations with Theresa May.

She says: "If we look like reaching any other decision than a confirmatory vote that would be in breach of the decision made unanimously by conference in Liverpool and overwhelmingly supported by our members and it needs to be put to a vote by the shadow cabinet."

She confirms she would vote that "any deal agreed by Parliament must be subject to a confirmatory public vote, and yes, the other option on the ballot must be Remain".

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry has written to the shadow cabinet about Labour's negotiations with Theresa May.

She says: "If we look like reaching any other decision than a confirmatory vote that would be in breach of the decision made unanimously by conference in Liverpool and overwhelmingly supported by our members and it needs to be put to a vote by the shadow cabinet."

She confirms she would vote that "any deal agreed by Parliament must be subject to a confirmatory public vote, and yes, the other option on the ballot must be Remain".

That could end up being her resignation letter. Policy now is 1) Customs Union and close to Single Market. 2) General Election. 3) Public Vote.

It was to all Labour MPs, not just the shadow cabinet I believe.

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That could end up being her resignation letter. Policy now is 1) Customs Union and close to Single Market. 2) General Election. 3) Public Vote.

No, Labour Party policy is still what was decided at conference.

We genuinely could be witnessing the end of the two party system in Westminster.