Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Is there any school of thought that they will reject and force a no deal?

I know they say they need a reason but surely something is being thrashed out in the background?

I don’t think it will be outright rejection.  What is possible, and in my opinion desirable, is for the EU to reject a short extension on the basis that it achieves nothing.

This would be a reasonable and consistent EU position.

This would leave Parliament the option of accepting this and participating in the Euro elections; finally accepting May’s deal;  No Deal; or revocation.

I think it would be one of the first two and if it were May’s deal the DUP have said they would then support Labour in a further VOC against the government.

1 hour ago, dorlomin said:

The Shinners abstention has been one of the reasons we have not had a majority for a managed Brexit yet. Its not really ironic because there tends to be nothing ironic about the idiocies of them and the DUP. And to be fair to them, its hard to stand out amidst the shitfest of the current parliament, they are really just a footnote of stupidity in the larger scheme of things. 

Given Sinn Fein represent an electorate who (1) Don't want Brexit at all and (2) Don't accept the legitimacy of the UK Parliament ruling over Northern Ireland, it would seem odd if they took their seats purely to help a managed Brexit along. 

Edited by The OP

I don’t think it will be outright rejection.  What is possible, and in my opinion desirable, is for the EU to reject a short extension on the basis that it achieves nothing.
This would leave Parliament the option of accepting this and participating in the Euro elections; finally accepting May’s deal;  No Deal; or revocation.
I think it would be one of the first two and if it were May’s deal the DUP have said they would then support Labour in a further VOC against the government.
An extension will have the condition of EU elections happening.

Cabinet ministers were told they must agree emergency contingency plans to keep planes flying to North America and Australia, as well as keeping British troops legally in Bosnia, in case the EU forces a no-deal exit.

Before their marathon cabinet meeting on Tuesday, the cabinet secretary, Sir Mark Sedwill, briefed ministers that major security and commercial decisions would need to be completed if Brussels rejected Theresa May’s plan to ask for a short extension to article 50.

A cabinet source said the decisions were likely to result in large costs to the taxpayer and that decisions would also need to be taken on direct rule in Northern Ireland and payment of the UK’s £39bn divorce bill to the EU.

Among the decisions outlined in a 14-page document handed to ministers in Downing Street were:

New agreements would be required for air services with Canada, the US and Australia.
British troops in Bosnia currently serving as part of an EU force would need to be placed under Nato command.
Negotiations would need to be urgently completed on a future fisheries agreement so that EU fishing boats could be expelled from British waters.
Sedwill, the UK’s highest-ranking civil servant, is said to have warned cabinet ministers that some of the biggest decisions were likely to be very difficult to reverse, because they involved international agreements.

Sedwill also warned that the UK would face a recession “more harmful” than the 2008 financial crisis and that food prices could increase by up to 10%.

He wrote that it was possible that the government would come under pressure to bail out companies facing collapse due to the barriers to trade with the EU and that security services and police would face a reduction in their capabilities.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/04/ministers-warned-over-planes-and-troops-in-no-deal-brexit

:)

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

An extension will have the condition of EU elections happening.

Yeah that’s what I said.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Whilst the police are warning about inflaming the debate, I see Rees-Mogg positively encouraging the prospect of Yaxley-Lennon standing in any upcoming elections.

All that wee tit Mogg is missing is the Hitler moustache. 

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

There were 625 votes last night.  Am I correct in thinking the only regular non-voters are the Speaker, his deputy, the tellers and SF?

If so there must have been some abstentions/absentees.

I know McDonnell and Thornberry missed the Benn vote but I assume they made this one.

I've not looked up who didn't vote on what but what i do know is that MP's are dropping like flies at the moment due to their schedule. There's been two SNP MP's in hospital this week alone as well as a member of senior staff.

The stress and ridiculous hours due to the way Westminster works is taking it's toll on some.   

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Whilst the police are warning about inflaming the debate, I see Rees-Mogg positively encouraging the prospect of Yaxley-Lennon standing in any upcoming elections.

I won't link to it because it's the Sun, but Quentin Letts has written one of the most poisonous and idiotic articles I've ever read. The words "traitors" and "slavery" feature heavily. No wonder we're f*cked as a nation if he is a leading columnist in our most successful newspaper.

4 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

I've not looked up who didn't vote on what but what i do know is that MP's are dropping like flies at the moment due to their schedule. There's been two SNP MP's in hospital this week alone as well as a member of senior staff.

The stress and ridiculous hours due to the way Westminster works is taking it's toll on some.   

How many hours a week does an MP put in?

17 minutes ago, Detournement said:

How many hours a week does an MP put in?

There's not a set amount.

This week most days have been 8:30am until 11/12 at night. I should have said it's not just the hours though, the political climate is particularly fervent at the moment and there's abuse and death threats being sent on a daily basis.  Some people can handle that stuff, for others, it understandably causes a great deal of anxiety for them.  

Edited by Londonwell

1 minute ago, Londonwell said:

There's not a set amount.

This week most days have been 8:30am until 11/12 at night. It's not just the hours though, the political climate is particularly fervent at the moment and there's abuse and death threats being sent on a daily basis.  Some people can handle that stuff, for others it understandably cause a great deal of anxiety for them.  

The threats are obviously out of order but in the context of 21st century UK the workload doesn't seem particularly stressful.

14 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

The way the U.K. Parliament works is a joke and still operates so MPs can carry on with their other work with minimum disruption.

I’m a great believer in MPs not being allowed any other paid employment, even if it means increasing their pay.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

The threats are obviously out of order but in the context of 21st century UK the workload doesn't seem particularly stressful.

I think qualified medical professionals are better placed to assess someone for stress and anxiety related health issues m9.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The way the U.K. Parliament works is a joke and still operates so MPs can carry on with their other work with minimum disruption.

I’m a great believer in MPs not being allowed any other paid employment, even if it means increasing their pay.

I understand that train of thought. But i personally take the view that anything that gets them out of the Westminster bubble and into different sectors is positive.

I also fully accept that not all other work activity will take them out said bubble.