Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

2 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

I understand that train of thought. But i personally take the view that anything that gets them out of the Westminster bubble and into different sectors is positive.

I also fully accept that not all other work activity will take them out said bubble. 

They could easily fit in office cleaning jobs this week.

Not H_B.

I'm just pointing out that trying to drum up sympathy for MPs who normally have extremely easy jobs having to put in long hours for a change is a bit pathetic. They have sedentary and largely passive roles with excellent break facilities, no managerial oversight and have taxpayer funded second homes close to their work place.

In the context of the current UK labour market they have little to complain about.

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The threats are obviously out of order but in the context of 21st century UK the workload doesn't seem particularly stressful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Timms#Murder_attempt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jo_Cox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_Cooper#Parliamentary_career

One attempted murder, one actual murder and at least one other murder plot in the past 10 years. 

As for the workload being a ticko you seem to not realise they have spent a lot of time doing constituency work and research its not just the hours in parliament plus the travel. 

5 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

As for the workload being a ticko you seem to not realise they have spent a lot of time doing constituency work and research its not just the hours in parliament plus the travel. 

Do you honestly think all MPs do research and significant amounts of constituency work?

The reality is that lots of MPs have second jobs. Blackford manages to combine being Westminster leader with two chairmanships! Most guys I know are on the go for 10-12 hours per day (including commuting) at least five days a week, the idea of being able to fit in a second job is laughable.

I certainly wouldn't fancy being an MP. Not that (a) any party is likely to choose me as a candidate or (b) enough eejits would vote for me to get a seat.

Although I suppose I could stand on an abstentionist ticket.

33 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

I understand that train of thought. But i personally take the view that anything that gets them out of the Westminster bubble and into different sectors is positive.

I also fully accept that not all other work activity will take them out said bubble. 

Yeah that’s the excuse that politicians themselves make.  That’s why I said paid work; if keeping them outside the Westminster bubble is so important to them they can do so unpaid.  It would be interesting to see how many would do so.

I get your point but I think being an MP is definitely a full time job.  Anyone who can carry on another career is not doing justice to the job and is party to these out of date hours that others are forced to work.

I certainly wouldn't fancy being an MP. Not that (a) any party is likely to choose me as a candidate or (b) enough eejits would vote for me to get a seat.
Although I suppose I could stand on an abstentionist ticket.
Labour party is the one for you

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah that’s the excuse that politicians themselves make.  That’s why I said paid work; if keeping them outside the Westminster bubble is so important to them they can do so unpaid.  It would be interesting to see how many would do so.

I get your point but I think being an MP is definitely a full time job.  Anyone who can carry on another career is not doing justice to the job and is party to these out of date hours that others are forced to work.

That is perhaps the point that defeats my argument because I agree with that. But remember politicians have teams behind them and i'm not aware of any politicians with other jobs that allow that to effect their parliamentary work. For instance the Blackford example given above; the two directorships roles equates to one day of work a month and i'm pretty sure that's a weekend day.  If they do allow it to effect their parliamentary work,then yes absolutely that is unacceptable.

I have seen well meaning individuals get sucked up into the 'politics' of it all and I still think it's beneficial to have experiences outside that. The one's who go from school to study politics at uni, impress everyone at their local branch with their intellect and eventually get elected to parliament, tend to have very little life experience. For me, it's good if politicians have experience of what they preside over.    

Edited by Londonwell

The Brexiteers in Parliament are absolutely terrified of any sort of second referendum.

They talk continually about delivering what people want yet know that it’s not what people want and if it’s put back to the people they will change their mind.

They also know that once Brexit is off the political agenda then it’s not getting back on for a long, long time; no matter how much huffing and puffing they do.