Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Some type of referendum must be on the books now but Parliament will need to approve it quite rapidly to have time.

Nothing else, not even a GE, can guarantee to break the deadlock.

And there's still 2 months of Westminster  recess in the middle of all that.  

18 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I'd genuinely love to see this c**t get his smug puss battered to f**k.

Anyway, it's a new take on the old "Sink us and we'll sink you", given he's basically saying "Let us sink ourselves or we'll sink you, and also us anyway given we're still part of the EU".

I imagine the EU will be trembling at the thought of huge big massive mega world superpower England making wee threats as if it's the 18th century.

Reminds me of my neighbor Jonathan Ecosse who hates all things Scottish.

Does anyone know what length of extension the other EU leaders wanted or do we only get told it was a compromise between Merkel and Macron?

3 wanted a short extension - not stated anywhere what that meant - but did say they were open to a longer flextension.

Macron wanted 1 June.

The rest want 31 March 2020.

It looks like Macron won.

Personally I think it's the worst possible result for a soft Brexit/revocation.

Too short a time for a referendum.

Enough time for the Tory hardliners to take charge.

Does it really matter if Tory hardliners "take charge"? They don't have the numbers to force through a no deal Brexit no matter who's in charge. The can will just be kicked even further down the road until eventually we all get bored enough to say forget the whole thing.

I do hope that no Tory ever has the gall to complain about the SNP "not getting on with the day job" ever again though. They probably will though.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Of all the people to blame for this farce Macron is pretty far down the list.

No he's not - he's French, isn't he? It's usually their fault.

Does it really matter if Tory hardliners "take charge"? They don't have the numbers to force through a no deal Brexit no matter who's in charge. The can will just be kicked even further down the road until eventually we all get bored enough to say forget the whole thing. I do hope that no Tory ever has the gall to complain about the SNP "not getting on with the day job" ever again though. They probably will though.

I'm not too sure - a lot of them are just batshit mental. 

If there is a General Election I suspect there will be more Eurosceptics on the Tory benches because of the make up of their membership - a combination of gammons and Blukippers.

From a purely selfish point of view I think it helps the cause of independence - another 6 months of the same shite with a Tory hardliner as PM would be manna.

Of all the people to blame for this farce Macron is pretty far down the list.
Of course Cameron and May are ultimately to blame - in terms of the EU it's clear that Macron was the one playing hardball - purely for his own political reasons.

His position was all about the perception in France not about what was best for Brexit.

46 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Does it really matter if Tory hardliners "take charge"? They don't have the numbers to force through a no deal Brexit no matter who's in charge. The can will just be kicked even further down the road until eventually we all get bored enough to say forget the whole thing.

I do hope that no Tory ever has the gall to complain about the SNP "not getting on with the day job" ever again though. They probably will though.

The default position is still leave with no deal. Something has to give before 31st October or that's what we'll get.

The 6 month extension is pointless. It's kicking the can down the road and more fighting on who's plan is best whilst agreeing nothing. 

Unless May can somehow do a deal with Corbyn then this will go to the wire again. Nearly 3 years and we haven't got anywhere, so don't see what another 6 months will do.

The Peoples vote is dead in the water and so is a GE in my opinion. Although I suppose anything can happen in the crazy Brexit world we live in 

25 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Of course Cameron and May are ultimately to blame - in terms of the EU it's clear that Macron was the one playing hardball - purely for his own political reasons.

His position was all about the perception in France not about what was best for Brexit.

Given all the shit that Brexit has caused and all the posturing the Tories have done solely in the interest of their own party rather than in the national interest, I find it difficult to criticise a foreign politician for playing to their own audience.

6 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

The default position is still leave with no deal. Something has to give before 31st October or that's what we'll get.

The 6 month extension is pointless. It's kicking the can down the road and more fighting on who's plan is best whilst agreeing nothing. 

Unless May can somehow do a deal with Corbyn then this will go to the wire again. Nearly 3 years and we haven't got anywhere, so don't see what another 6 months will do.

The Peoples vote is dead in the water and so is a GE in my opinion. Although I suppose anything can happen in the crazy Brexit world we live in 

I reckon a Referendum, even if it’s a confirmatory one, is by far the most likely outcome now.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I reckon a Referendum, even if it’s a confirmatory one, is by far the most likely outcome now.

The clock is ticking already. May still ruled out a referendum just yesterday. How do you even get to the point of agreeing a referendum? How do you get them to agree what the questions will be? Will remain be on the ballot for instance?    

I just feel the chance of a Peoples vote is now gone and the time to hold one is tight

16 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

I think I've heard that phrase before but with different dates.

21 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

The clock is ticking already. May still ruled out a referendum just yesterday. How do you even get to the point of agreeing a referendum? How do you get them to agree what the questions will be? Will remain be on the ballot for instance?    

I just feel the chance of a Peoples vote is now gone and the time to hold one is tight

It’s a question of alternatives.

Parliament won’t vote for a Hard Brexit.

DUP and some ERG will stymie May’s deal.

A GE is worse than a referendum for the Tories.

I can see enough Tories swinging behind a referendum as a way of moving this forward, it’s already a trickle but will grow.

Remember it just failed by a few votes last time around with those on the government payroll abstaining on all the options.

As for May ruling it out, she’s not in control now.  The MPs have taken over once they can do so again.